We drew!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We drew!

My son, dad, and myself drew the archery hunt at Gus E! The closest I’ve hunted to here was the Richland Creek wma years ago and I loved that place. If I remember correctly “before the great TBH crash” Engling was considered a pretty dang good draw… and I can’t find anything on it now. What are we in for or how high should I set my goals and expectations lol…

awesome, no help from me but good luck

Comment

Gus is a difficult hunt. Success rate are usually low, but there are some good deer in there. Hopefully it is not to hot for your hunt and the deer are moving.

Comment

Like jomw10 said, its a tough hunt and you could not see a deer or you could kill a 200" deer.

Comment

Our group also drew Gus. I haven’t hunted there either but have been to Richland creek and big lake bottom a number of times but acknowledge Gus is a completely different place.

Comment

Congrats. Gus is a good one. Hope y’all can connect

Comment

Best of luck!

Comment

Expectations: Expect top notch and very tenured management, biologists and technician staff. Those guys are the elite TPWD personnel in my experiences. They do a tremendous amount of work to benefit the WMA and hunters.

Goals: Thats completely up to you- Whatever makes you happy be it a successful harvest, time spent with father & son being out in the woods, whatever that is for you.

What yall are in for: The potential of getting on a quality deer is certainly there. I always advise the same way: some extra effort put in before your hunt can really be beneficial. Go make the drive and see the place and have a plan to tour it and figure out what compartments you have interest in and some methods of how you would set up to hunt it. In other words, go try and figure something out before your hunt period. Make a plan, and then make a couple more.

Like most anywhere, weather can make or break this hunt but just don't give up if its not ideal weather.

Comment

Congrats and good luck !

Comment

I drew the hunt in 2018. Saw pigs every sit. I had one good deer come in to some corn the first afternoon. Probably should have shot but had previous encounters with bigger deer. This was in area 10 in the very back. There was another guy hunting the front of that unit that a good deer but did not get a shot.

​ ​ ​

Comment

I drew the Gus again this year. Gun Deer Antlerless/Spike Dec 12 -14.

Comment

I drew Gus archery this year too! Congratulations to everyone else that drew!!! I agree with the consensus that its possible to not see anything but there are good deer on Gus. I believe the odds are pretty low on success rate so I would bet against anyone that throws corn and thinks the'll see a ton of deer as you would on some other drawn hunts. There are tons of hardwoods with acorns on this place so deer don't necessarily have to come to corn. If I remember correctly, they will tell you during orientation that they don't want you to shoot the young bucks that are just 13" wide. I will also say, its a beautiful place and agree with the staff comment above. Those guys are a probably some of the best TPWD staff I have encountered having hunted several of the drawn hunt locations. Good luck to all, will see you all in October!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by acepipeman View Post
                          I drew Gus archery this year too! Congratulations to everyone else that drew!!! I agree with the consensus that its possible to not see anything but there are good deer on Gus. I believe the odds are pretty low on success rate so I would bet against anyone that throws corn and thinks the'll see a ton of deer as you would on some other drawn hunts. There are tons of hardwoods with acorns on this place so deer don't necessarily have to come to corn. If I remember correctly, they will tell you during orientation that they don't want you to shoot the young bucks that are just 13" wide. I will also say, its a beautiful place and agree with the staff comment above. Those guys are a probably some of the best TPWD staff I have encountered having hunted several of the drawn hunt locations. Good luck to all, will see you all in October!!!!
                          When we were there in 2021, the Coordinator asked us to only shoot the older does, not the doe fawns or Nubbin Bucks. He said if you did that you would not get in trouble, but they "might" make fun of you when you checked it in and got your tag at the weigh station. Well, there was a Lady hunting by herself that brought in a small doe fawn while I was checking my deer in. No one said a thing to her and I would not have either. She did it all by herself and she needed the meat. More power to her. But I get it that they do not want a bunch of Nubbins brought in.

Comment

Great feedback guys! It will be here before you know it and hope we all have a great hunt

Comment

Dale yeah!

Comment

Working...
                              X