Guadalupe Delta Gator Hunt - 9/12 - 9/14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guadalupe Delta Gator Hunt - 9/12 - 9/14

Anybody draw the Guadalupe Delta Gator Hunt??? I finally drew after 11 years. I’d be glad to meet up down there if anybody was interested.
    Last edited by JFRITZ06; 08-15-2023, 01:19 PM.

I drive by there often and wanted to put in this year but I’m boat less now so I stayed out of it. Let us know how it goes

Comment

Originally posted by SwampBuck View Post
      I drive by there often and wanted to put in this year but I’m boat less now so I stayed out of it. Let us know how it goes

Will do. I’m going to head down there in a week or two to look around.

Comment

Well I took the boat down there and scouted around a bit (everything I could access from public waters). Saw 7 gators in the 6’ - 8’ range and one that would definitely go over 10’. The access was very limited so we only looked around for a couple hours mid morning. I have never seen so many Gar in my life. There was hundreds of them ranging from 12” up to 6’. It was unbelievable. I will definitely be taking the bowfishing rig back down with me.
        We met a gentleman that had a hell of a stringer of blue cats too.
        While the Alligator bait is hanging, there will be plenty to do. I’ll follow up in a couple weeks.

Comment

Good Luck!

Comment

Yup, good catfishing to be had in the area. Keep us posted. This place is very close to me so I’d love to see some actual info on it.

Comment

Drove through on hwy 35 yesterday. Thought about this hunt. Any update?

Comment

Sorry For The Late Follow Up…..

The hunt was a lot of fun. I will say, Kevin, the lead biologist/hunt coordinator was by far the worst Texas Parks & Wildlife representative I have ever dealt with on a draw hunt. His head was nearly as big as the building we had orientation in. He makes up his own rules for the hunt and doesn’t care if they go against TPWD rules or not (Don’t expect to fish or bow fish while you’re on this hunt, on or off of the WMA).
                I spoke with several people about this and everyone said he has always been difficult to deal with. That includes his boss and the local game wardens along with some of his coworker biologists.

With all that said, I will definitely be applying for the hunt again, especially now I know what to expect. It was VERY dry and most of the Gators were found in the Bayou’s. There were 19 tags issued including the standbys with a total of 12 Gators harvested.
                The largest Gator measured 11’ 9” and the smallest was 5 1/2’.

This hunt can be done with or without a boat. I helped a gentleman from New Mexico set a line from the bank without using the boat and he caught the largest Gator of the hunt. If you have a boat that has to be launched from a ramp, you are slightly limited as far as access goes. If you have a smaller flat bottom you can launch from shore, there are countless areas to hunt.

I met some awesome people and made some great friends. Overall, it was a blast and I look forward to the next opportunity.

Comment

Working...
                X