Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Colorado Unit 23 2nd rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Colorado Unit 23 2nd rifle

My dad is 67 and wants to check an elk hunt off his bucket list. For some reason he is set on OTC Colorado unit 23. Does anyone have any insight on this section? What to look for or where the elk might be?

With all the overwhelming responses, I'm still in a daze. I fly in to Denver on Oct 26 and will drive across to Meeker. Hunting Oct 28-Nov 1

Comment

Unit 23 is about 44% public land. I've not hunted it but I have hunted north of there in the White River NF. Where we hunted got very crowded but there are a lot of elk in that area. It is a mountainous area with some steep drainages. If it has snowed appreciably, then the elk will have moved down to lower elevations. Most of that is private. If not, after the first day most of the elk will have moved into deep drainages away from the orange army. But, having said that you can always find some that are hiding out near the access roads in hard to reach or bypassed areas.

The biggest key will be the weather. Heavy snows up high will force them down to areas they can get grass. Usually the cows and calves will head down first and then the bulls behind them. If I remember, 2nd rifle was earlier when I hunted it last. Like, mid October. It would snow one day and be sunny and warm the next.

I would e scout some public areas in lower elevations in case the snows come in before you get there. If it is relatively dry up high then I would expect the bulls will be hiding out in steep drainages as said before. Most hunters are looking for access using 4 wheelers. If you are up to getting away from the roads and high enough to glass down into those drainages you may find a bull or two that have been overlooked. Just figure out how you will get him out before you shoot him (I say this assuming you haven't been before but if you have just ignore it).

Good luck. Meeker is the closest town. I've never stayed there but I have stayed in Craig.

I would expect the motels are all booked now. We usually made our reservations before we left the previous year.

Comment

Also, that area has suffered severe beetle kill so there are a lot of trees dead man walking. Be careful.

Comment

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
          Unit 23 is about 44% public land.

Thank you. We have an airbnb booked in Meeker.
          Hopefully dad is up to hiking to get up and look into those drainages. I hadn't thought about difficulty of trying to pack one out if its a crazy steep/deep. Good point.

Comment

Working...
          X