JD Murphree Gator - Sept 14-15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JD Murphree Gator - Sept 14-15

I just got drawn for the gator hunt, 12 points, Is anyone else going to be there?

We will be there after you on the 16/17 for the youth hunt.

Comment

I'll be there 19th & 20th. It's been several years since I've been, but this will be our 3rd draw there and my biggest one so far was 10'8".

Comment

Congrats. Hoping to catch 2nd Draw.

Comment

Originally posted by Aggiebush View Post
          Congrats. Hoping to catch 2nd Draw.
          Hoping the same myself.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonH View Post
            I'll be there 19th & 20th. It's been several years since I've been, but this will be our 3rd draw there and my biggest one so far was 10'8".
            Geez I can’t even sniff an alligator permit with 12 points

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post

I definitely didn't expect to get drawn, but luckily I can make the dates happen. I've applied for other hunts in the past just to keep building preferences points, got drawn unexpectedly, and lost all my points because I couldn't make the hunt.

Comment

If I ever draw, I will need some assistance. I don't know the first thing about the big lizards. For now..... pending second draw.

Comment

Man, sounds like a biggun! If you're willing to share...did you use chicken? How high off the water was it for the 10-footer? This is my first time ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Reaper View Post

Man, sounds like a biggun! If you're willing to share...did you use chicken? How high off the water was it for the 10-footer? This is my first time ever.
                      Yes all we've used is chicken. I let it sit in the sun for a day or 2, so be sure to use a bucket with good lid and take gloves to handle it. I don't remember exact height, but think about a foot or so. You have to find a happy medium on height of your set. Too high & you may not get anything and too low you risk catching a very small Gator. On our last hunt we caught the big one on the first evening and I also shot a 9'6" one with my bow on the first evening. Most go out, set their lines and head back to headquarters. I like to spend some time hunting them that first day. I don't remember a lot about the areas since the place is so big, but the rangers do their best to point you in the right direction.

Comment

Good luck to all that got picked. I'm pending second draw but I didn't expect to get it this year as I won last year. I believe I read somewhere that it takes 7 years on average to be picked but I'm not sure. I know I got picked the first time i ever applied and then hurricane Harvey canceled the hunt. Then I got selected with 4 preference points last year.

Comment

Originally posted by ElfEyes View Post
                          Good luck to all that got picked. I'm pending second draw but I didn't expect to get it this year as I won last year. I believe I read somewhere that it takes 7 years on average to be picked but I'm not sure. I know I got picked the first time i ever applied and then hurricane Harvey canceled the hunt. Then I got selected with 4 preference points last year.
                          It took me 9 tries to get selected!

Comment

Yes all we've used is chicken. I let it sit in the sun for a day or 2, so be sure to use a bucket with good lid and take gloves to handle it. I don't remember exact height, but think about a foot or so. You have to find a happy medium on height of your set. Too high & you may not get anything and too low you risk catching a very small Gator. On our last hunt we caught the big one on the first evening and I also shot a 9'6" one with my bow on the first evening. Most go out, set their lines and head back to headquarters. I like to spend some time hunting them that first day. I don't remember a lot about the areas since the place is so big, but the rangers do their best to point you in the right direction.

Hey Brandon my group got drawn for September 17-18th. Maybe I can give you another scouting report like last time. We plan on bring our bow this year, then put out line late in the evening.

Comment

Originally posted by T-roy66 View Post

Hey Brandon my group got drawn for September 17-18th. Maybe I can give you another scouting report like last time. We plan on bring our bow this year, then put out line late in the evening.
                              You're the best "scout" I could ask for. I'll definitely be in touch after your hunt.

Comment

Working...
                              X