New Law must Read !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Law must Read !!!

Bill Text (2023-06-18) Relating to the use of certain weapons in or on the bed or bank of a navigable river or stream; providing a penalty. [Effective on 9/1/23]

hope the link works but basically no more hunting in ANY navigable water ways of the state except shotgun with peiiets. You’ll have to read it. Will be a lot of people effected by this.

My question is why? Pertains to archery as well, except for bow fishing.

Comment

Wasn’t this already a law?
      So one can still hunt with a shotgun and buckshot the way I read it? Or no?

Comment

Only a few counties and I have no idea why the law is needed.

Comment

I think the law change has to do with the development residences / population growth along waterways. Rifle and slugs can go a long ways. Its a bummer cause its hard to kill some stuff with buck shot, gotta be close

Comment

Somebody else posted about this one a while ago. It was when the bill had made it to the governor. I made a comment asking them not to sign it.

I can't believe this one made it through the legislative process without anybody noticing.

Comment

There’s a few places I can think of that this pertains to.

1) the Brazos River below Lake Granbury. Technically speaking in the regs beforehand you could rifle hunt as long as you at water level IE in the riverbed. Considering how this is right by Pecan Plantation that has a serious deer overpopulation issue, I can see the temptation.

2) the rarely mentioned and oft unknown “grey area” of the King Ranch that you could access via boat. It wasn’t considered private, because with the tidal change you’re technically below the riverbed. But you’re pretty much on King Ranch property. Not gonna give specifics, but if you know you know.

I don’t necessarily agree with the law but I can see their reasoning for it, and it passed pretty easily I’m certain considering how little fanfare the law got before it was passed.

Comment

Double post

Comment

This will affect some gator hunters and methods used.

Comment

Yes, this is crap. It is exactly for what was mentioned. Some figured out ways to hunt deer/pigs in the river bottom on public land when it gets low without getting on private property.

Comment

The law was enacted because too many people were using public riverbeds to access and trespass on private property. There have been a few waterways where it was illegal to hunt for many years, they just went ahead and made it statewide this year.

Comment

I read through it. And there is a provision in it for gator hunting. But it will, or could have an impact on public lands that are along river and stream beds. As from what I read and understand, it will make it illegal to hunt the banks of such also, with archery equipment or other weapons. This could also affect some of the TP&W draw hunts if they follow the law.

As discussed before, the word "navigable" as two definitions by state law. This new law includes the word "streams", which could mean feeder creeks as well. And could mean you would be in violation if hunting on public land along such a creek.

I think they didn't take into consideration for a lot of things. And this law isn't going to keep people that want to trespass, from trespassing. Just like poachers are going poach.

Comment

I still don’t understand the bow hunting part, is about loosing an arrow, wounded animal going on to private? Anybody have insight onto the no archery part?

Comment

Originally posted by osochuck View Post
                            I still don’t understand the bow hunting part, is about loosing an arrow, wounded animal going on to private? Anybody have insight onto the no archery part?
                            I believe the shotgun with shot part is to allow for bird hunting with buckshot for larger game being a loophole in the law. The State doesn't want to stop folks from duck hunting.

The no archery/rifle/shotgun slug is to keep people from deer hunting.

Basically this law is to make landowners happy. I wish we would have known about it when it was still in the legislature.

We all have to admit it would be very unlikely for a deer to not to run onto the surrounding land if shot in the riverbed with an arrow. A rifle or shotgun has a lot better chances of making them fall.
                            Last edited by bigchiefj; 07-14-2023, 12:40 PM.

Comment

This law had to come from a person or group of people pushing for it. The originator/originators are wealthy land owners not wanting competition from public hunters hunting their property boundaries.

Comment

Working...
                              X