Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Public Land Hunting From the Ground

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Public Land Hunting From the Ground

I am looking for advice. I will be hunting public land this year in Central Texas. There are trees in places but not enough for me to carry a climber in a pack-in/pack-out scenario. Has anyone been successful hunting public land from the ground? If so, did you sit on the ground under a cedar, did you carry burlap and make a quick blind set-up, did you carry in a pop-up blind and set and tear it down every time? What did you use for scent control? What techniques did you use?

What ever fits the situation. Be prepared to adapt and overcome.

Comment

Not cheap, but here is an option. Doubles as a stand and game cart.

Comment

Originally posted by Froggy View Post
        Not cheap, but here is an option. Doubles as a stand and game cart.

https://www.amazon.com/Hawk-Transfor.../dp/B011PSJWGI
        Great idea but you are right---EXPENSIVE

Comment

Climber stands are heavy. You might look into a tree saddle, and a couple lightweight climbing sticks. Hunting from the ground is very, very difficult. Don't get me wrong, the deer don't need trees to live. But hiding is hard.

You need to look into a leafy suit/ghillie suit. And you will need a good seat to keep from moving. You can't get away with near as much movement on the ground. And you need a thick enough piece of cover to thoroughly destroy your human silhouette. Even getting 8' up a scrubby tree makes life much easier. And I say all this as a guy that hunts off the ground whenever the situation calls for it. But a tree is always my first preference.

Comment

Lance- I own one of these. I need to use it more. They used to cost $400

Millenium10 ft Aluminum Tripod

$497.99

SPECS
            • Material ALUMINUM
            • Capacity 300 lbs.
            • Weight 36 lbs.
            • Platform W 20” D 17”
            • Model #: T-100-00

Comment

Originally posted by BarBBar View Post
              Lance- I own one of these. I need to use it more. They used to cost $400

Millenium10 ft Aluminum Tripod

$497.99

SPECS
              • Material ALUMINUM
              • Capacity 300 lbs.
              • Weight 36 lbs.
              • Platform W 20” D 17”
              • Model #: T-100-00
              These are great also but expensive.

Comment

I've done quite a bit of public hunting on the ground. Typically I use some camo netting and have some fiberglass rods in 2' section with a connector so I can connect 2 pieces together. I have holes drilled through the rods and use wire hooks on them to connect the camo netting. You can make a super cheap, ultra lightweight, very mobile setup with that. You can probably take the poles from an old dome tent and cut them down and use those for the poles since they already have the connectors and the elastic cord to hold them together when they are broken down.

2 other options I use are the Ghost Blind(shot a Nilgai on one of the NWR in S TX using the Ghost Blind), and I also use a Double Bull Stakeout Ground Blind (sort of a turkey hunting half blind not a full popup so it is much lighter and compact and easier to haul around).

Comment

Have had luck on the ground on public land. I was just using natural brush. Dead timber, and etc. Scout out your spots, and adjust accordingly.

Comment

Originally posted by Phorizt View Post
                    I've done quite a bit of public hunting on the ground. Typically I use some camo netting and have some fiberglass rods in 2' section with a connector so I can connect 2 pieces together. I have holes drilled through the rods and use wire hooks on them to connect the camo netting. You can make a super cheap, ultra lightweight, very mobile setup with that. You can probably take the poles from an old dome tent and cut them down and use those for the poles since they already have the connectors and the elastic cord to hold them together when they are broken down.

2 other options I use are the Ghost Blind(shot a Nilgai on one of the NWR in S TX using the Ghost Blind), and I also use a Double Bull Stakeout Ground Blind (sort of a turkey hunting half blind not a full popup so it is much lighter and compact and easier to haul around).
                    Thanks.

Comment

If I'm rifle hunting public land, I'd rather be on the ground to be mobile rather than stuck in a tree or pop up blind. Between me and my kids, we've killed whitetail, hogs, javelina, and mule deer from the ground on public land hunts.

Comment

As stated mostly back under a cedar or use natural vegetation to build something. If using a pop up brush very well till you think it’s overkill

Comment

Originally posted by Mule Skinner View Post
                          If I'm rifle hunting public land, I'd rather be on the ground to be mobile rather than stuck in a tree or pop up blind. Between me and my kids, we've killed whitetail, hogs, javelina, and mule deer from the ground on public land hunts.
                          Did you use any scent control products or just have the wind in your face? What about snakes in warmer temps?

Comment

<--------- Both of these are off the ground tucked into a cedar on public land.

Originally posted by TXOUTLAW View Post
                            As stated mostly back under a cedar or use natural vegetation to build something. If using a pop up brush very well till you think it’s overkill
                            Yup,
                            Last edited by kurt68; 07-10-2023, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by U.S.ArmyRetired View Post

Did you use any scent control products or just have the wind in your face? What about snakes in warmer temps?
                              I've never used scent control products. Yes, play the wind into your favor. Chippewas are good defense against rattlesnakes.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X