Powderhorn WMA and Powderhorn State Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Powderhorn WMA and Powderhorn State Park

Question:: To those who have hunted either one of the Powderhorn Area Hunts for Sambar Deer, where did you stay during your hunt? Any Camping or RV Spots nearby?

If you happen to draw this hunt, give me a ring.

POC or maybe Seadrift. Port Lavaca has hotels and is within reason. Pay be able to cash in points in some hotels if you have them.

If you have a camper, it will help.

I haven’t heard of camping on the WMA before, maybe the park will allow it.

Comment

The state park was supposed to create RV and tent camping spots with facilities. But I don’t think they’ve started on either.

Otherwise, what Mr Public said.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Public View Post
        If you happen to draw this hunt, give me a ring.

POC or maybe Seadrift. Port Lavaca has hotels and is within reason. Pay be able to cash in points in some hotels if you have them.

If you have a camper, it will help.

I haven’t heard of camping on the WMA before, maybe the park will allow it.
        Thanks, I put in for both of these hunts. It is a long shot, but possible. Our group has 9 Preference points so might help some, but still a long shot! We do have an RV though!

Comment

Lots of places to stay in the area. Just have to fish around.

Heck if you have a generator to run your rv you can park at magnolia beach like the snow birds do and drive from there. Won’t have running water or sewer but it’s free. Right next to indianola.

Comment

BRunner has a sweet set up in POC as well. Haven’t seen him post in a while.

Comment

There are several cabins for rent on airbnb in POC. I hunted Powderhorn in Feb and shot a sambar hind; we stayed in POC, close drive.

Comment

When my daughter drew there last season we just got a house on VRBO that was less than 10 mins away. Had a great experience minus the monsoon that was there day 1 and 3 lol. Day 2 was excellent though. Lots of hard hunting but a very enjoyable time.

Comment

We stayed at the Poco Loco Lodge in POC. Great place and it had a free ice machine that made nice to keep the Sambar I killed on the first afternoon iced down for the rest of the hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by fish4food View Post
                    BRunner has a sweet set up in POC as well. Haven’t seen him post in a while.
                    We stayed at Brunners place during my daughters hunt last year. Brunner is great people with an amazing place. We will definitely be staying there again if it’s still available.

Comment

Poco Loco was perfect for me last year - was the only one there.

Comment

Working...
                      X