Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Our public lands...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our public lands...

Guys we need to really try to put some money into the parks. I just spent time at Black Gap and again Garner, the story is the same both places. They don't get much money.

Park fees are going up again this year I found out this morning. They don't say much about it when you go on the hunts but they need help with stuff. Garner had nice pop-ups for the kiddos to hunt in, but no solid rifle rests for the kiddos to shoot off. I built ten rifle rests yesterday and delivered them this morning to go in the pop-ups for the youth exotic hunt this weekend. They simply don't get enough money to do alot.

We have a chance to show how generous and helpful we can be as hunters. I urge you to talk to your park and ask em what they need. To me if we want to see these hunts continue we need to help make sure they do. We have to do all we can to help the kiddos learn this way of life.

My other thought is this, as bow hunters I feel for the most part we are pretty courteous and knowledgeable about hunting. Pass those knowledge and ethics on to those you know. One of the things that shocked me at Garner was some of the dad's were talking about shooting the critters if their kids didn't. Dad's let kids make unsupported shots at critters and they left wounded critters in the field because of it. Please take the time to pull those guys aside that just simply don't know and teach them what you know. Help pass it on to their kids. If we want our children to be able to enjoy the hunting we do, we need to step up now and be leaders. All of us are quick on the phone to turn in a poacher, but what about spending the time ahead of time to explain about shooting times, bag limits, and antler restrictions and maybe averting them breaking a law?

This weekend was a wake-up for me that I am not doing enough. I knew a guy at the hunt was not very knowledgeable and I saw his sorta blank stare when the Warden talked about antler restrictions. I should have done the right thing and approached him and explained. Instead that night his daughter brought in a buck that was just outside the skull, but the horns to him were past the ears(where they started not ended). He ended up going home early because of it. I honestly think he was clueless and I think it was probably one of the first hunts he had ever been on in his life. My inaction led to him making some mistakes that reflected badly on all of us.

The warden and I talked this morning about some of the lack of ethics on bow hunters. Garner is closed to archery because of the lack of shot ethics. Deer with arrows stuck in their hams doesn't bode well with the general public as do deer Texas heart shot with a bow. After the stories today I think I am ready to see an archery education class made mandatory. Just cause you can shoot a 4" group at 60yds doesn't mean a time exist to try that shot. I know that will rub some of you the wrong way but the fact is in the time it takes and arrow to cover 60yds a deer can do alot of moving. That mistake right there is part of what cost us Garner as a bow spot. I can tell you right now, a perch on the shelter last Saturday night would have been good for 4-5 axis pretty easy plus some white tail. It is the perfect spot to have a great time, but we lost it because of slobs.

I ask each of you to reach out and teach ethics to those around you. If you are lacking yourself find the knowledge base you need. I pride myself on trying to do the right thing when I have that bow in my hands, if it means passing a marginal shot I pass it. We can be/ and are our own worse enemy many times.

Please don't take offense, just simply think about what I have said. I want all of us to enjoy this stuff, but if we don't lead from the front before long we won't have many places left to hunt.

Steve

I agree with you on most of it.. We can thank Govenor good-hair for slashing the state parks budget by 50% a few years ago... They were already underfunded then, but at least he put that money in the rainy day fund,to the tune of 8 Billion dollars..

Comment

Saint, nothing in your post offended me. More will probably take issue with mine.

Our elected officials have slashed the budget for State programs, yet I saw no reduction in the taxes I pay. I don't mind helping, but then I'm paying more taxes for someone in Austin to squander away.

The guy at the hunt with his daughter, wasn't yours to educate unless he approached you. Actually he is educated now, and probably much lighter in the pocketbook. There is a good chance it would have been like talking to a fence post. You are not at fault for your inaction, it was his fault, not yours.

The hunt staff could have made some effort at the start of the hunt with a briefing, that would have offered the folks an opportunity for Q/A.

Ethics, you can't teach it. You either have it or you don't, it can be acquired if the hunter decides to modify his/her behavior. You can take a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

My two cents.

Comment

Well Saintgunnet what you said is true and it will not change the state is broke and the parks and WMA will suffer they are not a priority to the politicians. The politicans are not even alowing TPWD to use all the money that we "hunter and fisherman" pay in special fees on our hunting/ fishing licenses that is suppose to go reasearch/ aimprovment of our wildlife resources.

As for the ethics of some of the hunters there are some people that should not be allowed to hunt (nor reproduce) have been doing the public hunts for about 10 years now and most of the people you meet are good people with good ethics however some leave you with the chin touching the floor with what they do and say.

Comment

Saint, your thread may should be in the Campfire. It would probably get more attn.

Comment

Nothing in the OP offends me either.
            I'm sure there is some retarded bow hunters doing those real bad shots. But what I think might be happening for the most part is they may be taking shots with other deer behind the target deer.
            That anti hunter video running around with a doe that has an arrow through its head. By studying that several times I think the doe is a victim of a pass through rather then a bowhunter trying a head shot simply because of the angle of that arrow.
            However it still shows some terrible ethics.

Comment

If nothing offends, TTT again.

Comment

Working...
              X