Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Public archery only areas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Public archery only areas

Hey guys, where if any are the archery only areas besides Alazan Bayou WMA?

Somerville WMA is archery only for deer and hogs. However you now have to wear orange because they do allow firearms hunting for small game. Go figure...

There are a few small archery only areas in the Sam Houston National Forest (all of which is managed as a Wildlife Management Area, or WMA) but they are close to campgrounds and other public use areas.

The Amistad National Recreation Area - administered by the National Park Service near Del Rio, TX is archery only for deer and exotics. They do allow shotgun hunting for small game and waterfowl though.

That's about all I know of that are archery only in TX. Some National Wildlife Refuges and a few State WMA's have archery only hunts, but are also open to firearms hunts later in the season.

John

Comment

Cooper WMA
      Fannin Lake part of Caddo Ntnl grasslands WMA
      South Sulphur unit might be part of Cooper WMA
      Also check into corp land. Seems like alot of it is archery only.

Comment

Thanks guys, I appreciate your info. I'm kinda hooked on bowhunting, and just trying to find a place that is public that is not too crowded. Seems alot of hunters drop the bows as soon as gun season starts, which is fine, but that's not my choice. I love the up close encounters with my bow. Thanks again, good luck hunting.

Comment

Working...
        X