No announcement yet.

Big Slough Wilderness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks woodsman.. ya missing a shot is just all part of it, its inevitable. I actually only fished for probably 45 mins and caught 3 crappie, 4 bass and a handful of assorted perch and sunfish. No tellin what youd catch with live bait! Just an added bonus to the trip gettin a lil fishin in. Its crazy but we were there 4 solid days and it still just wasnt long enough. Having to scout new areas was a challenge but in that slough its a must, you absolutely have to adjust because the deer move differently every year based on water levels. I love this place, it has sooo much to offer and everyday is filled with excitement.. the name pretty much says it all "Big Slough Wilderness"!!
    Last edited by ..Ambush..; 10-26-2014, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Ambush,

I really enjoyed the report. Thanks. Im gonna be up there this weekend. Will you? Maybe we could meet and shake hands. Ive never been into the slough before so i would do me good to have a conversation with you.

Comment

No sir... ill be huntin in Trinity this weekend but might swing up there Saturday the 15th for a morning and evening hunt. Still kinda up in the air, depends on how the weather acts

Comment

Anybody been up recently? Was wondering what the water situation is like this year... water high or dry?

Comment

Its drying up now. the river ran through the bottom for months though so all the fishing holes should be loaded.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
              Its drying up now. the river ran through the bottom for months though so all the fishing holes should be loaded.
              Good deal! Should be fun doing a little fishing between hunts, thanks for the report Steve..

Comment

Well we are heading up to the Slough Wednesday evening for our annual trip to my favorite piece of East Texas paradise... We normally go in late October, but since we usually are there a bit early for the rut we pushed the trip into November.. hopefully the hunting pressure is little to none haha. Anyone been up lately or plan on going this weekend? How high is the water in there with the recent rains??

Comment

Originally posted by ..Ambush.. View Post
                  Well we are heading up to the Slough Wednesday evening for our annual trip to my favorite piece of East Texas paradise... We normally go in late October, but since we usually are there a bit early for the rut we pushed the trip into November.. hopefully the hunting pressure is little to none haha. Anyone been up lately or plan on going this weekend? How high is the water in there with the recent rains??
                  Water is high. You wont be able to get in deep as the river is still running through the slough. A canoe might be a great tool.

Comment

Water is high. You wont be able to get in deep as the river is still running through the slough. A canoe might be a great tool.
                    I was afraid of that... was debating on bringing my kayak to get a little further into the bottom land. Playin with 2 scenarios in my head: high water pushing the deer out of the bottom towards us.. Or high water holding deer on islands of dry land deep towards the river. thoughts Steve?

Comment

Originally posted by ..Ambush.. View Post
                      I was afraid of that... was debating on bringing my kayak to get a little further into the bottom land. Playin with 2 scenarios in my head: high water pushing the deer out of the bottom towards us.. Or high water holding deer on islands of dry land deep towards the river. thoughts Steve?
                      Islands....oh.my.gosh islands! Im sure you know the ones Im talking about from your posts.

Comment

Islands....oh.my.gosh islands! Im sure you know the ones Im talking about from your posts.
                        Haha indeed! Rowed the kayak almost a mile and finally found some dry ground, set up in a section of it thats only 20 yds wide and its LOADED with sign coming and going. Saw 5 doe and 2 young bucks this evening. One of the does was HOT and they were runnin her all around my stand just a splashin through the water! Made for an exciting hunt thats for sure, now im just hoping a big ole moss back with double drops locks on her overnight ...i know hes around, seen his track... its big enough to take a nap in!!

Comment

I grew up hunting big slough wilderness myself. I went in there last weekend of bow season and checked a camera and hung two more... Went back opening weekend of rifle season and my first creek crossing that was dry was now about 8 feet deep. So I found a tree to walk and ended up on what I know would be an island. Did some slow easy walking through there and saw a few deer. I came to another creek and luckily had a huge tree going over it. So I crossed it too. I never was able to get back to my cameras. Last year I lost two that went under water. I took my nephew out there last weekend and was going to try to get back to the island where I saw some the weekend before and my first tree crossing was now under water. We sat at the creek that morning and never saw anything. Lots of duck hunters in there area. Went back to the truck about 9:30 and two guys hunting the fence line both shot deer. One was a really nice 9 point and the other a really old 6.

I will be back down there this weekend with chest waders! I am going to be getting back in there to my camera one way or another!

Comment

Shot this little guy with my bow last weekend of bow season when I went to put up those cameras. My first hog with a bow.

Comment

If you see this guy take him out too.. lol

Comment

I love hunting those hard to get to places that no one else gets. One reason why I like hunting out there so much. I rarely see anyone else out there. I did have a guy walk up on my last year. I was in my climber and he came walking in across a creek from me. Walked up to my camera and when he noticed it he started looking around and spotted me. As deep as the water was and he just had rubber boots on I am thinking he came from across the fence or the river.

Comment

Working...
                                X