No announcement yet.

Big Slough Wilderness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

im on vacation starting friday through nov 7th, but any weekend i am available we can do a mini adventure about 11 miles in stop and camp next to a real neat pond fish it is a blast ive already got 2 does down so there is no pressure to get some meat , so im going to kick back do some hunting but mainly camp for enjoyment

Comment

i go usually right after hunting season early febuary then again in march then may i do the whole 40 mlles 20 to the neches overlook and back i could do it in 2 days but dont want to push that hard usually carry a recurve to stump shoot and gather camp meat rabbits usually unless squirrels are in season

Comment

There is one piece of survival gear that you will not make it without....Mosquito spray!

Comment

oh yes sir!!! deet plus thermocell and wearing lots of clothes when you get into big slough chiggars mosquitoes anything that bites and SNAKES!!!

Comment

Headin up in the mornin... cant get here soon enough!

Comment

Originally posted by ..Ambush.. View Post
              Group of us will be up there Thursday evening for a 4 day trip... bring your hiking boots if you intend to hunt in there, gotta put in the leg work if you wanna get to where the bigguns lay up
              I cant make it this weekend, but anyone going up opening weekend of the General Hunting Season?

Comment

Originally posted by howie1968 View Post
                here is a pic of my map from my base camp program if you use the corrdinates i gave you and you get on 1175, 1175 turns into 511 its wierd but it does, there is a good parking spot just off the trail of course you will have to hike in, to me it just adds to the adventure
                Not that it matters to the deer but it's 'Flying "D" Hunting Club'.

Comment

Speaking of the long hike, is it legal to enter the Big Slough via the Neches River? That might be perfect for slippin into good river bottom leaving minimal scent. And if you catch the wind right you could face a NNW wind with the river to your back as a natural funnel.

Comment

May have to look into this

Comment

Yes its fully legal as long as you dont cross any private property... i believe the easiest place to put in would be off 2825 on the east side of the river across from the slough. There are a few hunting camps over there with river houses, might ask one of them ole boys for permission to drop in the yak

Comment

walnut creek is another great access point

Comment

Well its the last morning here at the slough as i sit here in my favorite tree listening to hoot owls and wood ducks pierce the silence only the backwoods provide.. everytime we make this trip up here to Big Slough im reminded of the awesomeness of this place. Ive seen bucks, does, hogs, coyotes,  coons, and enough cat squirrels to fill all your stew pots.. heck we even caught some bass and crappie out of Tub Lake on tube jigs... Now im not going home with a deer this year, but i had my opportunity on friday morning when a 120ish 8 pointer strolled by my stand at 30 yds.. for whatever reason i just shot clean over him and had to watch that tail dissappear into the brush. We've all been there and it doesn't seem to get any less deflating, it stings like the first time.. the water is definitely higher than last year, without a pair of waders youre just not gonna get to the back section unless you walk a 1/4 mile outta your way to find a good log crossing. Kayak would've been a great asset but hindsight is 20/20. The rut is still a week or two away, no bucks chasing yet but plenty of scrapes and rubs to go around. Id sure like to come back when its on, but walking thru the woods during rifle season up here just doesn't seem wise. Maybe we'll come in December after most guys have given up on it for the year... anyhow thats kinda whats goin on in the woods, yall get in the tree because the rut is just about to bust loose!

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Great report and photos, Ambush Sounds like you had a great time. Sorry to hear of the miss on the buck. Props on getting set up in the right spot though! Can't wait to check out Big Slough myself, looks like an awesome place. There's got to be some momma crappie in that lake, makes me want to grab my pole and hit the banks. Cool shot of the cicadae shells

Comment

Working...
                                X