Old Sabine Bottom Question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old Sabine Bottom Question...

A friend and I got drawn for a gun hunt at Old Sabine Bottom WMA in November. Just wanted to see if anyone would suggest which compartments they think would be best for us. If you don't mind, suggest which compartments would be best if we end up having a ATV/UTV and which ones are best if we end up having to hike in. That's still up in the air at this point.

Here's a map of the compartments:
    http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild...abine_topo.pdf
    Last edited by adpotts; 10-11-2011, 09:26 AM. Reason: Fixed link

Man me and two friends hunted it a few years ago, and talking to some hunters that where there that happen to be locals part of old sabine use to be a preatty large hunting club that these guys use to belong to. Anyways they all had atvs and put in a drew compartments the futherest for everyone near the river, hence they knew were they where going and all of them harvested deer and some of them where preatty dececent bucks. Talking to them more they where even hunting some of there own blinds from years past when it was a club. We hunted a large compartment not that far from the check station and out of the three of us I was the only one that killed anything a doe and I think it was by luck. So my suggestion get you a ride, get the farthest compartment that has water or a chance of having water my lease is'nt but about 45 miles from OSB it's hot and dry there to brother and good luck.

Comment

Look at Google earth and look at the compartment farthest east with the power line. You will need a ATV.

Comment

Thanks guys. That's pretty much what I've been hearing from everyone; get as far from the entrance as possible along the river. I'm just wondering if the old river channel (along the southern part of the WMA) would also be good, or if we need to concentrate on the Sabine only. Prospects for finding a ride for out there are looking better, so hopefully we will be able to get way back into it.

Comment

I hunted compartment 3 based on the wildlife biologist's recommendation. It was super thick and I guarantee there were deer there, but we didn't see them.

If you bring your ATV, make sure you have the required safety coarse or whatever is required on state land.

If the worker is smoking a brisket and serving beans, eat it. It was some of the best food I have ever had. And if you eat it, pay for it. He does it for free, but asks for money for food for the next group.

Comment

i like area 5 , up on the ridge looking back down on the bottoms..goodluck,,

Comment

Despite what the map shows there are limited roads that you can actually drive on with a truck. If you can get an ATV get it, UTV would be great because you do not need safety gear or safety cert. only the OHV sticker which may be waved for the draw hunts.
              Avoid 25 unless you have a small boat to cross the old river channel, even with this past dry summer it probably will still be deeper than you want to try and cross. 1 and 2 are mostly overgrown fields that they have planted some trees in but nothing big enough to hang a stand in.
              Most of the "marsh" marked on the map will be dry unless it comes a big rain before you go
              Look for signs of old stands in the compartment you draw, they are there for a reason.
              I would try 21,22,23 like others have suggested.
              Be aware that the WMA has been open to hunting since Oct 1st to squirrel, hog and archery hunters and that the deer close to the roads know that hunting season has arrived

Comment

Adpotts, You didn't mention which hunt you are on in November but I'll be up there this coming weekend for the drawn hunt. If you've already been, how did you do?

Thanks,
                Stan

Comment

Stan, I'll be up there this weekend as well. We've apparently secured a brand new Honda UTV for the hunt, just have to keep from tearing it up. I'll be in a grey Ford pulling a trailer, be sure to introduce yourself. I'm planning on printing some field maps out at work tomorrow and might be able to give you a couple of copies if you end up picking a compartment I have them printed for.

We're going to be camping onsite.

Comment

We are camping onsite as well, will have a camper, green mule, and a grey GMC 2500HD. We're planning to be there around 2-3pm tomorrow, see you there.

Stan.

Comment

We're hoping to be there around 10 in the morning. Want to be sure we get a good compartment choice.

Comment

At Gus Engling they draw for compartment selections, how is it handled at Old Sabine Bottom? Based on your statement it sounds like it is first come first serve.

BTW, We will be there tomorrow (Friday) afternoon and staying onsite. You may have meant your getting there Saturday at 10am.

Thanks,
                        Stan
                        Last edited by smcmurrey; 11-10-2011, 03:48 PM. Reason: added BTW

Comment

I don't know how it works at OSBWMA but every other hunt I have been on you put your top 3 preferences on a card and they assign you based on where you were drawn (ie 1 out of 30) plus the type of transportation you have (whether or not you have a UTV/ATV) plus the hunters condition (handicapped or not)

I suspect it will work the same way

I was going to go over this morning but I had some other things I needed to take care of.

Comment

How did you all do????

Comment

Thanks for the info BTL, the drawing worked like you said and the same as we saw at Gus Engeling. We enjoyed the hospitality of the guys hosting the hunt, they were great. Dinner was served Saturday night with left overs Sunday that were excellent.

Our hunt had less than desirable conditions with 70-80 degree weather, almost full moon, and very windy. My group of 4 saw one deer and a few hogs. We hunted compartments 20 and 22, APotts had 24 and I don't think they saw anything. We talked to a bunch of guys and only had two reports of undersized bucks. The weekend had a button buck off compartment 1, yearling doe from 6, and an undersized buck that came from the west side of the place I think, no hogs.

We saw the place after a lot of hunting pressure and it definitely showed. My opinion is that it has been over hunted and the deer are run out or shot out right now.

Thanks,
                              Stan.

Comment

Working...
                              X