No announcement yet.

Davy Crockett NF 2011/12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been seeing deer... they just wont cooperate .. last hunt was the first time I had not seen at least one deer.. wind was terrible and changed all the time.. even the tree rats were hanging on for dear life.

Have lots of sign.. just need a legal buck or doe give me the chance to fling a stix and see if all this practice will pay off.. first year with a bow.. would be AWSOME to get a shot at one..

Comment

Man... all the deer must have moved off... anyone else seeing any day time deer.. have a fresh scrape, wind is good,, a trail with fresh track since rain at 0500 this morning,, I have see NOTHING in 3 hunts..

Comment

My son saw 8 yesterday morning (7 does and a nice 8 point), but he didn't get a shot. 6 of the does were within bow range, but they all came in at the same time. There were so many eyes looking around, he was afraid to draw because he thought one would see him. He did finally draw after a few of them left, but the others went behind some bushes and he didn't get to shoot. All of them were feeding on those beautyberry bushes with the little purple berries, and he saw all but one after 9:30. I saw one doe eating acorns at 10:00. I saw a lot more scrapes this weekend than I did last weekend.

Comment

Glad you guys are seeing those deer.. maybe some kind of critter keeping them away..just kinda strange.. gonna hunt again Thursday through Sunday.. maybe I can get one in range...

Comment

I live right in the middle of the dcnf. Have hunted it all my life and killed some great deer out of it. I put a young guy in one of my loc ons Wed am. He had never killed a buck. He called about 8 and said he shot a little buck but it had a bunch of points.

He was right! Short blood trail and a main frame 9 with 5 scoreable stickers. 14 point that grossed 143 7/8. If someone will pm me a number I will txt you a pic to ppost.

Comment

Sounds like a great time.. always great to here someone get a good buck first time out..

Comment

Saw a doe Saturday morning. She busted me drawing on her. Nothing this morning. I'll be back out Sunday morning.

Comment

Garguy pm sent.

And well it happened for me this weekend

My first buck with a bow this past Saturday. He's no monster but im proud to take him for my first buck with a bow

He looked a little trashy compared to some of the others we have on cams so i thought it wouldn't hurt to clean up the gene pool a little bit He's a 10point if you count the kicker off of the back of his right g1 and would have been an 11 point had he not broken off what would have been his right g2.

Saw him @ 7:30 am sat walkin a creekline about 100 yards out about to dissapear into the DCNF (our property is on the boundry of it in several places). Right before he was going to dissapear i rolled "The Can" estres bleet by primos and man did it make a difference. He instantly turned 90 degrees headed straight for me.

I was almost bummed when he headed down a trail 10yards from me that i had no shot on, but luck was on my side, he saw my trail cam i had on the tree next to me and it spooked him back out into the opening about 12 yards out, and then he came just to my right in the lane i thought i would shoot out of i couldn't believe it *swack* and off he went. I waited two hours just to make sure but come to find out, he only ran 60 yards and died out in the open in the same field.

What ... a... rush!

He was quite an older and sizable buck and was missing some teeth, 159 lbs on the scale.
                  Last edited by snikrah; 10-23-2011, 10:29 PM.

Comment

Haven't been back since opening week, but I took this down opening morning at 10:30.

She was with 3 younger does and 2 yearlings. They came up a draw and stopped about 30 yards out and started browsing on mulberry leaves. Soon as she was slightly quartered away, I let the muzzy fly and could see instantly it was a great shot.

I kicked back for an hour since I didn't really hear her crash. I texted my buddy and he was ready to get down so he came and met me and we went in search of her. She ended up taking us on a 150 yard nature hike. Let the air of both lungs, but she was determined.

We found her piled up in some youpan's. We walked right be her the first time, but turned around to circle back and saw the white belly. I was relieved as I was starting to think someone cast some bad vodoo on me.

Gotta love Leavey suits. Long johns underneath in the morning, but by 9:30 I was coming out of them. Planning on going back morning of 11/3 and will stay through 11/13. Couple more day's of archery on Thursday and Friday, then the rifle will come out.

Did see 3 bucks opening weekend, one definate shooter and two typical ETX deer that are thick and tall, but not too wide. They were all running together. Hoping things are starting to change now. Friend up there with me that weekend managed to knock two does down as well. I don't have pictures of them though so we'll pretend it didnt happen until he sends me the pictures.
                    Last edited by cw3jperry5; 10-23-2011, 10:36 PM.

Comment

Those leafy suits are awesome! Thats the exact same one i use too =) And grats on your doe =D

Comment

AWSOME Snikrah... great looking buck...

Comment

Yes, that was a good buck Snikrah, he sure hasn't missed a meal.

Comment

congratulations Snikrah - nice buck!

Comment

thanks guys, i wish the best of luck to all of you all =)

Comment

Good to here the deer are moving a bit, been hunting Alabama Creek WMA with no luck. Rolled down Hwy 7 through DCNF looked good, just don't know anything about that area. Sound like you guys are seeing some deer. Can anyone help for camping info and some areas to scout in. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X