No announcement yet.

Davy Crockett NF 2011/12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wish i could be up there just to do some videoing of whats running around still. Dieing to check my cams since i put them up in new spots comin off of the davy.

SARS & TXHunter77, having any luck?

Comment

Not yet..

Comment

No luck for me either.....be back next weekend

Comment

Originally posted by TXhunter77 View Post
          Anyone going this weekend? I will be up at my place in Kennard the next 3 weekends. I am after the buck in my avatar;
          How old are those pics of your avatar bucks? Just curios. I've had a few deer on cam that i had pics of in September and October but never saw in nov and dec.

Also, when is the last time u had pictures of him? He is a dandy and it would be awesome if you got him.

Comment

The picture is from Sept. I believe. I checked cameras this weekend before I left and have pictures of him at my other stand on Thanksgiving Day.

Comment

So I'm thinking about heading to DCNF in a couple weeks I haven't been there before and was wondering how much of a chance there is of seeing anything without ever scouting the place? We'll probably camp Friday-Sunday. I haven't gone deer hunting this year because I'm from DFW and the closest place to hunt deer is at the grasslands which is 1.5 hours away, but we haven't had much luck at them.

Comment

Originally posted by dsweat View Post
                So I'm thinking about heading to DCNF in a couple weeks I haven't been there before and was wondering how much of a chance there is of seeing anything without ever scouting the place? We'll probably camp Friday-Sunday. I haven't gone deer hunting this year because I'm from DFW and the closest place to hunt deer is at the grasslands which is 1.5 hours away, but we haven't had much luck at them.
                I hope you see something if you go, but don't get your hopes up. I was in the same situation as you when I started hunting out there, not having time to scout. It took me three years to find a spot where I would see deer. I spent a lot of time just staring at trees before I found a spot. Now I may have to move as this season I saw more hunters in my spot than I did deer. But if you're going this late in the season don't expect to see much. The deer have been hunted hard all season and they are skitish to say the least if not just plain invisible. Good luck to you but I wouldn't recomend walking all over the forest during gun season. I ended up doing most of my scouting during bow season as there wasn't as many people in the woods then. Traffic should have died down now, but just look around the area you're going to walk in for parked vehicles. One thing I've learned the hard way out there is that when walking in the woods, the deer will see you before you see them.

Comment

Been quite on here for a few days, anyone go this past weekend?

Comment

Sat from daylight till dark Saturday. Seen one small buck. Nothing on Sunday

Comment

Saw couple does.....heading up friday for my last hunt of the year

Comment

Garguy and Snikrah, the bucks you two have taken off small private tracts / public land is very impressive. Thanks for sharing.

Rwc

Comment

I heard one blow today!!! Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Rwc View Post
                            Garguy and Snikrah, the bucks you two have taken off small private tracts / public land is very impressive. Thanks for sharing.

Rwc
                            Lol, the ones i've posted are no where near as good as Gars Probably because i've never been as patient as he is to let 'em walk. Thats partially because i know some of you guys might be across the fence but nail em if you can

I'll be more patient coming the 2012 season since I'm not as pressured as i was this year due to my son being born early this past november. How ever being pateint like that has kept me from laying antlers on the ground in previous years and i've still never seen one past 3 1/2 yrs old seems like.
                            Last edited by snikrah; 12-15-2011, 04:01 PM.

Comment

Just got back from xmas with the gparents in crockett. Stopped by the ranch in Kennard to nab my bow im selling in houston and checked one of our cam's while we were out there, 1200 pics and 90% of them were bucks aging from 1 - 3 1/2 years they're still fighting as of this morning according to the cam. Wish i had looked at it closer while i was there instead of on the trip back because several looked to have broken tines off right there in front of the camera. Maybe if i had been looking for some i would of found them.

My knephew didn't want to leave when we stuck him in my dads stand while we were checking the cam before we left. We didn't blame him lol. Will have to go through those 1200 pics again and see if i can pull out a series of pics of one of the fights where their antlers broke.

My uncle had some luck off of 1733, he got a nice 10pnt 18 1/4 inside on my sons birthday 11/10/11, will get a pic on here.

Wish i was out there still but have to work tomorrow. Anyone else hunting out there this weekend or planning on going soon? I might be up the 22-24th.
                              Last edited by snikrah; 12-17-2011, 09:58 PM.

Comment

Quite again, anyone hit the woods lately? Headed back out to Kennard this weekend so hopefully my buddies can finish their tag out including you guys Anyone else going? Looks to be nice weather
                                Last edited by snikrah; 12-27-2011, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X