No announcement yet.

Lake Whitney/Lake Aquilla 2011-2012 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone hunting this morning. I'm at the station wishing I was in the stand.

Comment

Originally posted by Coyotekiller View Post
      What is the Ellis county happy hour?
      "Happy Hours" (aka HH") happen all over the state. They are Get-2-Gathers for local members in a region, town, or area usually held on a weeknight. They are a great way to meet some of the local sight members. Usually a long standing member will bring rise to one.

When we 1st started having them, there was one almost weekly at Big Buck's Brewery next to Bass Pro in Grapevine. They have since caught on and spread out across the state. Burleson just had it's 1st back in Sept (I think).

I host two G-2-Gathers in Cleburne each year: a post season and a pre-season. The Post-season will prob be in mid to late Feb, a couple of weeks before "Bownanza".

"Bownanza" is the biggest one of all and is an all day event, usually held at Bryane/College Station sometime in March on a Saturday. There is a ton of food served there and every body from around the state (and some from out of state) come to it. You'll see heavy planning for this about Feb or so. Lots of teams made up of volunteer members provide lots of food, good times, and fellowship. Like this sight, it's also family oriented. So moderation for adult beverages is always observed there. I'm generally in charge of "Team Fish Head" whether I get to attend or not. We serve all you can eat fish. There is a team Rib, Team Bean, Team Hot-lips (stuffed japs), and several others that are anchors for Bownanza. There are alos several other teams that help out behind the seines. Team Ice Tea, team spork and plates, team trashbag, ect. The first one I held Team Fish Head at, we served 120 lbs of fish filletts, 80 lbs of french frys, and I don't know how many lbs of other things . Team Rib usually serves around 120 slabs of ribs, Team beef will serve from 10-20 briskets and sometimes steaks, Team Bean cooks their beans in a 55 gallon drum, Team Jump House provides an inflated jump house for the kids, ect. There are usually around 15-20 teams total.

And the best part of Bownanza is it is free to all bowhunters, sight members, and their familys!
      Last edited by Texas Grown; 12-03-2011, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Sounds like good times. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Hows the weather down there this morning? (cough cough), I may just have to call in sick tomorrow.........the doctor prescribed a long day of sitting in a tree to get over this case of "Im-going-to-start-slapping-people-itus". Is it rainy down there or just drizzle?

Comment

It's been raining off and on but for the most part it's drizzle. I'm toughing it out right now 20 ft high.

Comment

Originally posted by Fire_Hunter View Post
              Anyone hunting this morning. I'm at the station wishing I was in the stand.
              Same here. But I'll be in the stand tomorrow after I get off shift.

Comment

Hope the weather allows for a good hunt. I'm not able to get back out till Wednesday. Good luck to everyone. Stay dry.

Comment

Back in the stand. Didn't see anything this morning I'm hoping we will get a break in the rain and they will move.

Comment

Everybody get rained out? Buddy just called me saying he got soaked.

Comment

No it's off and on. I'm still sitting in my tree.

Comment

Time to pack in the rain gear boys! I'm hunting in the AM rain or rain

Comment

Originally posted by buckybill View Post
                          there used to be a bow shop some time ago called primitive outdoors, that was down on the square. cut my bow hunting teeth in that place. you need to come to the ellis county happy hours when we have them.
                          There used to be one north on 77 but i don't think it stuck around long.

Comment

Originally posted by BIG IRON View Post
                            Time to pack in the rain gear boys! I'm hunting in the AM rain or rain
                            Gonna head down later tonite to make sure my tree is still there and bait it up. It's been a few weeks since I've had the opportunity to get out so rain or no rain I'll be there. After this summer it's a welcome sight to me. Hopefully the deer cooperate. Good luck everybody.

HG

Comment

Hows the weather suppose to look for tomorrow down there? Worth going in?

Comment

Originally posted by stryker311 View Post
                                Hows the weather suppose to look for tomorrow down there? Worth going in?
                                70 to 80% chance of rain all day. I might still go if I think it will be light. We will see at 4 am.

Comment

Working...
                                X