No announcement yet.

Alazan WMA; Who's hunting it this year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm gonna be at Lakeview for TAMU Fish Camp early part of next week and was gonna go do some scouting in Alazan. Probably gonna go bright and early Monday and take the bow, just in case. Anyone wanna join me? PM me if ya do and we'll meet out there.

Comment

Jodsterag99, PM sent

Comment

I was out there this morning for a few hours. The white oak acorns are looking good. I've never seen it this dry out there. I walked all of the way to the property line down the highline and didn't find a drop of water. Found some good sign and some promising setups, it just depends on how much hunting pressure is out there. Anyone have any idea how many hunters are typically there on a weekend/weekday?

br

Comment

I have hunted it on various weekends in Oct and November the last couple of years. Opening morning I normally see about 5 cars in the center parking lot. No idea about the campground or park HQ lots. Overall I would say opening weekend has about a dozen hunters opening day, and it drops off quickly after that. Mid bow season you probably have 4-6 hunters on property. Hard to tell once gun season starts because the duck hunters are mixed in. Although I doubt that will be an issue this year. If you go out during the week you have a decent chance of having the place to yourself.

Eagle

Comment

Originally posted by Eagles1181 View Post
            I have hunted it on various weekends in Oct and November the last couple of years. Opening morning I normally see about 5 cars in the center parking lot. No idea about the campground or park HQ lots. Overall I would say opening weekend has about a dozen hunters opening day, and it drops off quickly after that. Mid bow season you probably have 4-6 hunters on property. Hard to tell once gun season starts because the duck hunters are mixed in. Although I doubt that will be an issue this year. If you go out during the week you have a decent chance of having the place to yourself.

Eagle

That's what I was hoping to hear. I hunt a lot during the week, so that works out well for me.

br

Comment

Never hunted this land but will be this year. Was thinking about going this Friday to do some scouting and maybe throw out a game camera. Anyone going Friday?

Comment

I am planning on going sometime this week, depends on when I force myself to get up. Buckhand, I may meet you on friday if you want to.

Comment

I hunted it about 8 yrs. ago and I saw the largest Rub I've seen to date. Saw several large Rubs actually. If you walk down the power line right-a-way they were on the left side at the bottom of the hill. Wish it was closer I would hunt it again but it's Draw only now right?

Comment

Originally posted by Richard View Post
                    I hunted it about 8 yrs. ago and I saw the largest Rub I've seen to date. Saw several large Rubs actually. If you walk down the power line right-a-way they were on the left side at the bottom of the hill. Wish it was closer I would hunt it again but it's Draw only now right?

Will def check that area out thanks! No draw i called TPWD I believe it's $48 dollars just added to your hunting license for annual open land permit.

Comment

Originally posted by eagles405 View Post
                      I am planning on going sometime this week, depends on when I force myself to get up. Buckhand, I may meet you on friday if you want to.
                      Pm sent

Comment

Originally posted by BuckHand View Post
                        Will def check that area out thanks! No draw i called TPWD I believe it's $48 dollars just added to your hunting license for annual open land permit.
                        Oh that's good! Might have to go again someday!

Comment

I will be out scouting in the morning, I plan on parking up at the camping site and scouting that side of the property first and then maybe heading towards the back of the property depending on how hot it gets. If anybody wants to join me, leave a message here and I will check it before I leave in the morning. I plan on getting there about six in the morning.

Comment

I hunted Alazan last season and saw lots of deer. My roommate hunted with me and shot a nice 8 point the second week of bow season. Unfortunetly, after waiting an hour we started tracking and ended up jumping the deer and we never recovered it. There are lots of good deer out there. I have been scouting this summer and most of the activity has been down the power lines.

Comment

I drew the management gun hunt

Comment

Hunted three times this weekend and saw deer two of the three hunts. opening morning was ruined by squirrel hunters ALL OVER the place. Saw a deer at about 50 yards through the trees sat. night and held draw on a doe at 7 yards until my arms could not hold it any longer at which point she busted me (She stood there facing me at seven yards for at least two minutes to three minutes) Anybody else hunt and see anything out there this weekend?

Comment

Working...
                                X