Question about hog hunting on Army Corps of Engineers land

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about hog hunting on Army Corps of Engineers land

I just got my COE permit for Lake Lavon to hopefully do some feral hog bowhunting. This will be my first time hunting on COE land.

One thing that concerns me is that according to the lady at the desk, even if you have a Texas concealed handgun license, you're not permitted to have a handgun (concealed or not) on COE land, even though it's only for backup and/or two-legged "varmint" purposes.

What's y'all's take on this? Has anyone been told differently? I typically carry a .357 Magnum revolver, "just in case", when hunting. I've never had to use it, but it certainly gives me a warm fuzzy knowing it's there just in case of an emergency, especially since feral hogs have been known to attack humans, especially when wounded or cornered.

For those of you that hunt on COE land, how often (if ever) have you encountered game wardens and such? Is this rule rigorously enforced, or is it kind of like the "illegal knife" law in Texas?

Just curious...

hummm...bump

Comment

aint C.O.E controled by the feds?

Comment

Originally posted by bwssr View Post
        aint C.O.E controled by the feds?
        Yes, that's the problem.

Comment

No worries! You only need be able to run faster than your hunting buddies and leave the worrying about hog encounters to them! Wait a minute.... Yup, I am good! Ha ha! Can't wait to get some Hog on with you and Tipground.

Comment

Originally posted by Kokanee View Post
            No worries! You only need be able to run faster than your hunting buddies and leave the worrying about hog encounters to them! Wait a minute.... Yup, I am good! Ha ha! Can't wait to get some Hog on with you and Tipground.
            Yeah I have the feeling you'd leave me in the dust in a foot race.

I was talking about the dilemma with a co-worker and the subject of the Cold Steel Boar Spear came up as a backup weapon. It'd be a pain to carry but it'd at least give you a way to keep an angry wounded boar at arms length. I wonder if it's legal? It's basically just a big knife on a stick.

Comment

You do have an extraordinary draw length... Stick a nock in the end of it and you have plausible deniability if questioned!

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it officer!

Comment

The c.o.e. is a whole different ball game you can carry any were else if you have a CHL, but I hear they are trying to pass a bill in DC to chance the law.. The law we have now they say we can Thank Rep. Dicky Army for.

Comment

I have hunted COE for years and have had COE rangers and the local GM say as long as you have a CCL you can carry on COE land. I always carry when hunting there.

I'm kinda like you Mojo....as many pigs as we have around I feel a little better with a back up weapon being handy!!

Comment

News to me. I guys I was in violation before

Comment

If I'm in the woods.......I'm carrying.

Comment

Possession of a firearm in a federal facility is crime under the U.S. Code. The term "federal facility" is likely sufficiently loose that with the right judge, you'd be screwed if caught. And if in the event you had to defend yourself and your assailant died, you may well be looking at time in prison. Granted, it would be better them than you. The law that was enacted last year changes some of the public lands to allow carry.

IMO, the law was sold under the guise of protecting federal employees in their workplace, but was sufficiently vague to allow prosecution on just about any federal land.

Too many judges and law makers seem to have forgotten the that Constitution limits the government, not the citizenry.

Comment

if you ask me what they dont know dont hurt me. And its always better to be safe than sorry

Comment

i've hunted at wright-patman for years and have never seen a ranger or game warden and only ran into a couple other hunters on seperate trips. i have seen them stake out access roads and heard they do random hunter vehicle checks. they have a book at the corps office that has all the rules for that particular peice of land, it should answer your question. as for me, i try to follow the rules but i've been known to drag a ladder stand in and 'permenantly' install it

Comment

I've hunted quite a few ACOE projects over the years. Technically, it is fed land. But most often you will find it is up to the project manager as to how lax the law is, or is enforced. Some more so than others. And yes, I've run into both rangers, state game wardens, and "federal game wardens" (with The Department of the Interior: US Fish and Wildlife Service) on these lands. Sometimes the Fed wardens look like the average Joe out hunting, till they ask to see your license and/or permits. Then the badge come out .

This thread was started in July ?
                              Last edited by Texas Grown; 10-23-2011, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X