"Official" Sam Houston Natl. Forest 11/12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newcomer

Hey Guys i'm new to the TexasBowHunter Website. Been hunting in SHNF for the last five years. I started bow hunting 4years ago and harvest just one doe. I had seen many deer while bow hunting but havent been able to take any shots. I hunt mainly on the west side close to ranger station, i also camp at the primitive campsite. I have probably seen some of yall.Hope to meet some of you guys in the future. I had good luck this past year and saw some real nice buck's. I have been reading your Thread's from last season and have learned alot Thanks guys.

Comment

Well I've decided to try my luck out there this year. If I get the permit now is it good for me to start hog hunting out there now or do I have to wait until Sept. 1 to be able to hunt?

Comment

Originally posted by lbbf View Post
        Well I've decided to try my luck out there this year. If I get the permit now is it good for me to start hog hunting out there now or do I have to wait until Sept. 1 to be able to hunt?
        you can hunt hogs anytime, i did it 2 days ago

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Just as long as you have the AHP you can hog hunt all year now.

Comment

Only warning. If you buy the permit now, you will get to buy it again in a couple of weeks. Probably want to wait until you get your new license and get it at that point.

Eagle

Comment

Originally posted by Eagles1181 View Post
                Only warning. If you buy the permit now, you will get to buy it again in a couple of weeks. Probably want to wait until you get your new license and get it at that point.

Eagle
                X2

Comment

Darn it! That was actually what I was wanting to know. I was afraid that it wouldn't kick in until Sept. I guess it will just be scouting for me until then and then scouting with a chance of pig stickin.

Comment

I did not realize that they did not kick in until September, I thought once you bought them (August 15th) you were good to go.

Eagle

Comment

anyone up for some hog hunting this weekend at around new waverly

Comment

That is what I was trying to say, BUT according to the rules, you mist have a permit to scout the forest. (or at least that is the way that I read it) Some one please feel free to correct me, but please post up proof so we will all know for sure.

Ksig, Are we talking about taking stands in and hunting hogs with bows, or are we talking about guns at daybreak and see what we see.

Let me know.

Comment

I'm by no means an expert on the SHNF, but I haven't read anything saying that you can't scout without a APH. If you don't have any means to legaly take an animal with you then I don't see how it would be any different than hiking or nature viewing. I only say this because I've been reading through all the rules that I can find while waiting for sept. so I can buy the permit and license. I would be interested to know if there is a rule specificly stating otherwise. Everything I've been reading is off the TPWD page for SHNF, the APH guidebook that the TPWD has to download and view, and the fs.usda.gov site. Hopefully I'm not wrong, because I want to get out there and browse around and "scout" (for what little I really know about scouting), and I sure don't want to wait another month. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

AJMag, The information I found is located under Questions and Answers in the APH booklet. NOTE: Check out #2

What type of permit must I have and what will it allow me to do?

1. The Annual Public Hunting (APH) Permit ($48) allows an adult access to designated public hunting lands in this booklet.

Hunting is allowed for small game, turkey, white-tailed
                            deer, exotics, predators, furbearers, and fishing without
                            having to pay daily permit fees and in most instances,
                            without having to be selected in a drawing.

Holders of an APH Permit may take youth under age 17
                            hunting free of charge on these public hunting lands.

2. A Limited Public Use (LPU) Permit ($12) allows an adult
                            access for fishing (when it is permitted on a unit), camping,
                            birdwatching, hiking, and other recreational activities
                            on designated public hunting lands, but they may not
                            hunt or possess firearms or archery equipment.

Also, one more thing; Always wear Hunter Safety Orange any time you step out of the roadway or venture out of the camping areas.
                            If the GW comes bye he will ticket you in a second.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Comment

So if I read that right I either need the AHP or the LPU to be in the SHNF. Or am I still reading that wrong?

Comment

That is correct. You must have the AHP for all types of hunting or you must have the LPU when visiting the forest for ANY other activity, i.e. hiking, fishing, camping or scouting (as long as you don't have a weapon on you). Also,like Cooper stated, you must have on hunter orange at all times. SHNF states, "Hunters and non-hunters must wear hunter orange during daylight hours at any time when firearm hunting for any species is authorized on the unit", which is always since hogs can be hunted year round.

Comment

Working...
                                X