No announcement yet.

"Official" Sam Houston Natl. Forest 11/12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just saw where someone was driving the wrong way on the freeway and was killed. I swear it looked like one of my customer's car's and he works for metro, and the person who died works at metro. I am afraid that it might have been him, I hope not.

I think that Limbwalker was also using the strap on steps. Not the sticks. I am going to try and find it from last years posts.
    Last edited by huntinfool; 08-23-2011, 03:54 PM.

Comment

I found Limbwalker's original post.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
      Originally Posted by Lonebow
      Limbwalker, what kind of steps are you using?

These

Been using them now for about 6 years and I love them. MUCH faster than even screw-in steps (and we aren't allowed to use screw-ins on public land anyway).

A set of 6 of these will get me about 15' up in less than 3 minutes. I hang the first three while standing on the ground, and hang the others around my neck and climb up. Then I hang the others as I go up. It takes me about 5-8 seconds to hang one of these steps.

My tree stand is on my back the whole time and I hang it when I get to the spot I want, then I get in the stand, secure my safety harness to the tree and pull up my backpack and bow (I attach the small rope to my belt as I climb up so I don't have to come back down the tree).

Very efficent method. And usually, there are enough good limbs to use as steps on most of the trees I hunt from that I don't even need all 6 steps. The tree my stand was in yesterday evening only needed 4 steps to get to almost 16'.

I actually look for limby trees as they provide a lot more cover for you when you're in the stand than the "telephone pole" trees you need with a climber.

John.

Comment

I believe this is what he was using. You can read what he said about them above.
        http://www.gandermountain.com/modper...=view&i=402736

Comment

Is this what y'all have been doing when you say your out there 'scouting'?

Comment

Originally posted by sweldo73 View Post

http://www.khou.com/news/crime/10000...128276068.html
            Maybe thats why some of them guys are always wanting to eat after those scouting trips....
            Last edited by Ksig512; 08-23-2011, 04:30 PM.

Comment

That's probably why there is lots the secrecy about those special spots. I hear alot of special code names on this thread !!!
              Last edited by HotRod Hunter; 08-23-2011, 07:14 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=huntinfool;4111867]I just saw where someone was driving the wrong way on the freeway and was killed. I swear it looked like one of my customer's car's and he works for metro, and the person who died works at metro. I am afraid that it might have been him, I hope not.

That was the car... sorry to see it end like that but glad the other guys wern't hurt too bad. Really appreciate all the info HF... great of you to put that level of effort for a newb to the site...

Comment

Nice

Originally posted by froghunter View Post
                  Had company late friday night so meeting up with you guys was out of the question. i did however make it out saturday evening. i had a solid lead from a local GW on where to locate some bacon. i took my canoe bow, rods and buddies 15 year old son to the upper end of lake conroe. After some paddleing i found TONS of pig sign. most of it a coupla days old. some was fresh though. found and saw NO deer or deer sign at all. at dark i decided to rest at the canoe and eat. while i had some down time i rigged my fishing ploe up and set it in the rod holder. My 15 year old buddy Wyatt caught the first fish, a small cat fish. Not to be out done by a guy half my age i had to show him how its done and caght the other 2 within 15 mins of each other. Although i came up with no deer or pigs i still wasnt mad.

Looks like you found a promising spot and had a good time catching a coupla catfish. That ain't a bad day right there.

Comment

Originally posted by sweldo73 View Post

http://www.khou.com/news/crime/10000...128276068.html
                    You beat me to it.......................

Just saw it in the chronicle. I was going to make a funny remark to my friends on here but i realized the BANTER could be misconstrued.....

They said it was 3 acres worth near a pond to pump water to it about a mile in!!!!!!!!!!

Everyone needs to be careful out there. I would hate to walk into that unarmed.

Manwitplan

Comment

Holy crap! That is horrible. I am glad that they got it pulled up, but it makes me wonder, what could have happened to the hunter that stumbled upon it if it was being worked. Who knows he might not be here now. Everyone stay safe out there and always scout with someone....just in case.
                      Droptine, no worries. I am learning just as much as the new guys. Plus as an added bonus, I have gotten to meet some great fellow bowhunters and TBH'ers. One day I hope to get to meet you!

Comment

At first I thought this was kind of hilarious,,,,,,,,, but then I realized THIS IS CRAZY!!! I hope they get the people that are behind this crap!

Comment

Howdy guys. Hate to sound cliche but I've been lurking for a few months now and wanted to go ahead and jump in (longtime member of the TX Hunting Forum under the same moniker).

I hunt out of Trinity but have been wanting to get my toes wet in the SHNF for a LONG time. I know I'm new and y'all don't know me from Adam but I'd love to meet some of you guys and, if you'd allow, tag along on some scouting trips. Might be too late for this season, I know, but there's always next year.

Good hunting, everyone!

Comment

Etx, I live in Katy and drive by you on every trip heading to the SHNF. You are welcome to tag along any time you want. I will not be going this weekend to pick up my cards from my camera's. I have to set up some tables and chairs EARLY Sat. am. They can sit out there for two weeks. I might go next weekend. Just have to see what is up.

Comment

Originally posted by huntinfool View Post
                              Etx, I live in Katy and drive by you on every trip heading to the SHNF. You are welcome to tag along any time you want. I will not be going this weekend to pick up my cards from my camera's. I have to set up some tables and chairs EARLY Sat. am. They can sit out there for two weeks. I might go next weekend. Just have to see what is up.
                              Your going to scout on the opening weekend of dove shooting ....

Comment

Doe tags

Picked up license this week and went to SHNF site to apply for tag and could not find electronic application - only old method of snail mailing card with hunter info. Have I missed it or have we gone back to old mail-in process? I have used electronic for past 2-3 yrs.

Comment

Working...
                                X