New LBJ Thread- My Tree Stand Disappeared :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New LBJ Thread- My Tree Stand Disappeared :(

Man...You want to think that you could set your stuff up a few days early so when you go in to hunt your BRAND NEW lone wolf hang-on tree stand will be ready.

Well, I set it on the LBJ about 5 minutes from my house in Alvord. I removed my climbing sticks thinking that would keep it safe from anyone who had thoughts of stealing it. It was in a tree where someone had set up years ago as the tree had three old nails where someone could climb but not high enough I thought. I WAS WRONG..Some how they got up and took it..Man that blows...What a bad lesson to learn.

I was hoping maybe FROGGY could check to see if one of his folks pulled it down thinking it had been hanging for awhile (which it had only been there 48hours).

Well, I wanted that Lone Wolf elite instead of the alpha but I hate losing $200. I had the stand 1 week...Bummer is the only photo a caught with my game cam that is nearby looks like this...

On a seperate note, is that a rifle with shotgun shells on the butt? Where is the other guys rifle?

Ok, thanks for letting me vent...

Be glad they didn't get your camera too, it only takes once to learn that lesson never leave you stuff, and that was a lone wolf ouch, those are expensive. and could be wrong but that does look like a bull barrell rifle with shotgun shells on the stock as a decoy.

Comment

I'm going to print out this photo and keep it in my truck for reference so I can have it in case I run across these people in the future FOR SEVERAL REASONS:
      Why is he shooting a rifle\shotgun with slugs. It's not general season yet and there's not enough hogs that he NEEDS to use that type of weapon.
      If a rifle......it's illegal anyway!
      To ask them if they know anything about a missing LW treestand.
      I use one too and it makes me reallly PO"d to hear that this is the SECOND stand in 2 years that someone has stolen off of LBJ
      It makes me very very angry.

Comment

amen it ****** me off too i had one stolen last year like you put it up 3 days before season and gone opening morning. luckily mine was a cheap wal-mart one but besides the point. I work everyday like most folks so go buy your own

Comment

Leftridge,

Call and ask for the Federal LEO Cadle and tell him what happened. (940) 627-5475. Leave a message if he's not in. He'll call you back. Let him know what unit you're hunting so he can keep an "eye" out. Looks like a rifle to me, but could be an old bolt action shotgun.

Too bad the camera wasn't aimed a foot higher. Stands are confiscated occasionally but only when they've been in place for a while. Regulations allow for 72 hours.

Comment

I have a feeling this happens alot.

Comment

Originally posted by Froggy View Post
              Leftridge,

Call and ask for the Federal LEO Cadle and tell him what happened. (940) 627-5475. Leave a message if he's not in. He'll call you back. Let him know what unit you're hunting so he can keep an "eye" out. Looks like a rifle to me, but could be an old bolt action shotgun.

Too bad the camera wasn't aimed a foot higher. Stands are confiscated occasionally but only when they've been in place for a while. Regulations allow for 72 hours.
              Ya, I just dropped the the camera angle downward that same day too cause I kept getting parts of yotes and wanted to see them better. LOL Oh well...

I'll call him tomorrow for sure....But I expect its a lost cause..Pulling my cam for sure now tho...

On a seperate note, I'm going to be in on Thursday to talk to Scott about carrying my red card and drop off my IQS..Are you around that morning?

Comment

I'll be out Thursday and Friday if the boss lets me off. My son is coming for a two day visit before heading to Iraq for 15 months. He's with the 10 Mt. Division. This will be his second tour. When you call tomorrow ask for "Grumpy". Scott's nickname is "Pigpen". I take it you're a Wildland firefighter????

Comment

these must be local boys, usually they are the ones going around stealin crap off public land since its only a few minutes or so to the house to dump off the evidence. sorry to hear about the lost stand. did you have a cable lock on it?

Comment

I hate thieves. Do you think they might have seen you go in? Do you remember anyone driving by or parked near by when you went to hang it? As for the gun, Rem makes a modle 700 in 12 ga now as do a few other mfgs.
                    What is that in the first guy's pocket besides a water bottle?
                    Pat, take note: First guy has rubber boots with a rear pull tab and second guy must have lace-ups. Both wearing same camo pattern safty vest.

Maybe someone could zoom and tweek the gun?

Comment

Sorry to hear that. I worried about that myself so started building brush blinds and they work great. I live in Alvord also and see people trying to get away with stuff on lbj all the time.

Comment

Do you think they might have seen you go in? Do you remember anyone driving by or parked near by when you went to hang it?
                        Yep good chance the ones who stole it either saw you go in or climb down, the one of mine that got stolen happened during the middle of the day during the week, I come back after lunch and the sucker is gone, SOB's were watching me the whole time.

Comment

One way to keep your stands is use a cable lock! I hunt public land on a reglular basis and I lock my stands up with the Brinks 5/8 " aircraft cable locks. The key is like the coke machine key , recessed into the end of the cable lock. If they are going to take the stand with one of these locks on it, they will have to disassemble the stand. I know first hand, as I had a lock on stand hanging in the tree, only to come back to the cable lock hanging in the tree still attached! You could see where they tried to saw it in half with a hack saw, and didnt even make a dent in the 5/8 cable, so they just unbolted the stand, as I found a nut on the ground at the base of the tree. If they want it bad enough they will get it regardless of what you do! There are two kinds of people that I dont care for, a thief and a liar! Sorry to hear of your loss!

Comment

I see the orange vests..you dont have to wear them during archery only do you??? If Im right they must not really know the rules of October... I NEVER leave anything anywhere anymore for over a day...just cant trust anyone these days. I like the brush blind idea, just hunt the wind.
                            Last edited by Longstick; 10-17-2007, 05:42 AM.

Comment

sorry to hear about that. personally I carry a climber, and LEAVE NOTHING in the public woods. too many folks have the "public land, public stand" mentality.

Comment

Working...
                              X