No announcement yet.

Fort Hood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sun Evening, I had a Doe standing at the fence where I enter the property to get to my stand, had to slam on the brakes and skid the truck to make her run away. Dressed up and creeped to my stand, While I was checking the feeder timer and trail cam she crept up behind me and busted me from 10ft away. Just about shart myself! Saw the Pig my wife shot and a Red Boar about the same size, 2 Does & 1 fawn, the Doe that busted me and a solo fawn. None of them would give me a clear shot. I had both of the pigs at 10yds in a cedar tree, 1 step from my shooting lane when the Dove spooked them. They left and 30 min later my Wife shot the Sow.

Monday evening. Watched birds eat corn.

Tues evening, My wife was blowing up my phone, 2 nice Does and small buck. Every time the Does attempted to come to the feeder, the Buck was harassing them and they wouldn't/couldn't stand still. Finally they left. 20 Min later they showed up at my stand. I nice Doe, 1 skinny Doe and a scraggled horn 5x3 8pt Buck, too small to shoot.... Every time the Does tried to come to the feeder to eat, he was sniffing them and trying to hump them. They finally had enough and disapeared.

Wed afternoon I talked to my neighbor, he said he saw a "Big 8pt" Buck run across the road and was headed toward my stand, that I wasn't in. The neighbor doesn't hunt so i question his description of "Big", hopefully I have Cam pics....

Comment

If any of you guys wanna make the trip to Fort Riley to Hunt, I have stands with some deer, and alot more places to hang stands. You are more than welcome to come sling some arrows. Fort Riley got lucky because you don't have to check in deer killed during bow season. Hope this ends so you guys can get back on stand.

Comment

Finally up in the panhandle, driving the land doing scouting have a few nice to me bucks located, blind set, brushed in. Back at the ranch getting ready to eat and then head out for first sit.

Comment

Things I recently learned:

Joanis' is closed/out of business.

Cosper's only open til 6pm until Gun season. They no longer take Pigs.

I took my wife's pig to M&M Processing in Lampasas (on 580 East in town). They had mixed reviews but I was willing to give them a shot since I no longer have facilities/desire to clean them myself anymore.

Are there any other processors within reasonable distance that anybody recommends?

Comment

Well getting ready for the first morning sit up here chasing Mule Deer, seen 6 yesterday one small Buck and 5 doe. Was thinking of shooting the small buck but I know there are better out here so I wait.

Good Luck all.

Nophears, if you are wanting very basic stuff like sausage links I process my own. M&M is pretty good IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Nophears View Post

I took my wife's pig to M&M Processing in Lampasas (on 580 East in town). They had mixed reviews but I was willing to give them a shot since I no longer have facilities/desire to clean them myself anymore.

Are there any other processors within reasonable distance that anybody recommends?
              There used to be smith brothers in belton we always used they closed but the owner recommended another one to me about 15 min away ill have to ask him again and let ya know..

Comment

Originally posted by randal View Post
                There used to be smith brothers in belton we always used they closed but the owner recommended another one to me about 15 min away ill have to ask him again and let ya know..
                there is locks in rogers I have taken pigs to them also there is L&R in belton there is also a new place in belton but I cant remember the name and best quality meats in temple

Comment

Originally posted by 1poorboy View Post
                  there is locks in rogers I have taken pigs to them also there is L&R in belton there is also a new place in belton but I cant remember the name and best quality meats in temple
                  Yeah locks was the one he recommended..

Comment

Originally posted by BirdRanger View Post
                    Finally up in the panhandle, driving the land doing scouting have a few nice to me bucks located, blind set, brushed in. Back at the ranch getting ready to eat and then head out for first sit.
                    Seen a lot of mule deer in the last two days an saw a real good buck this morning before daylight! Hope the bucks move this afternoon like they did this morning!

Comment

Originally posted by Nophears View Post

You could take it out to greens sausage house in east temple I think it is. You just have to skin it prior to drop off. They don't want the stinky pig in their freezer. They did my deer last year and did a really good job.

Comment

Does this mean bowhunting season may be saved?

Comment

Fonzo, it sounds like it may be over for all DOD civilians. Wait and see.

Comment

“However, DOD and DOJ attorneys concluded that the law does allow the Department of Defense to eliminate
                            furloughs for employees whose responsibilities contribute to the morale, well-being, capabilities and readiness of
                            service members,” Hagel said.

Well I believe that bringing the biologist back would definately contribute to the morale of our sevice members here at Fort Hood that are bowhunters. Hopefully we get an answer soon...

Comment

The good news is that if history holds true, they will be paid. Delayed but paid. A lot of folks are living close to the edge monitarily.

As to the hunting aspect of it? Not good, but it does give you more time to drink beer or play with the wife.

Comment

testing photo upload
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X