Fort Hood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BirdRanger View Post
    I COMPLETELY agree, a young kid getting his first deer with bone and off by 1/8th almost like someone should have told him he was not legal from Fort Hood before letting him take it, I think if you got youngins out the guides need to be there to tell them not to shoot or to shoot, that way they can be responsible for the fine and loss of harvest. Not trying to offend anyone cause ya'll are a bunch of stand up guys, just my 2 cents.

Kevin I agree to a point. Several years ago the biologist wanted everyone to bring in a sample from the stomach of all of the kills I was one of the only areas on that side of post to do it. I asked the biologist what the results were and they said since everyone did not play they did not do the test. I have been telling them for years that the skulls are small in that corner of post and has to be their diet. This is not the first. We all Know Jerry Provrose last year he shot a 12 7/8 and was taken and guess what he took pictures of the deer with his camera before he shoot it and you can see the antlers out side the ears but they still took it.I have 2 8 pointers on camera right now that I would say are 2.5 to 3.5 but I would bet their spread is no more than 9 or 10 inchs and I show those pictures before every hunt and tell the hunters those deer are out there and they will be taken from them DON'T shoot them. I am not sure what else a man should do. Personally I have no idea what the rule is trying to accomplish. If you have a 3 1/2 year buck with a 12 7/8 spread 9 point I am sorry he is a mature buck and letting him go untill next year he might be a 4 1/2 year 13 inch spread 9 point. is that what we are shooting for. And we really want him to reproduce OK so we keep all of these small skull deer in one area.
    Boy this was my rant for today I must have been up all night doing school work sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by BirdRanger View Post
      EdO change to plans the better half has an medical appointment today at 1000 so can we change it to 1000 tomorrow??
      Sure no problem. Don't mind hanging around the SC. Can sometimes learn a few things if I keep my mouth shut and my ears open (fat chance ).

Just in case, my cell is 254 289 9006. I'm always forgetting to put it in my pocket, so if I don't answer just send me a text.
      Last edited by EdO; 11-02-2011, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkin STX Hank View Post
        Kevin I agree to a point. Several years ago the biologist wanted everyone to bring in a sample from the stomach of all of the kills I was one of the only areas on that side of post to do it. I asked the biologist what the results were and they said since everyone did not play they did not do the test. I have been telling them for years that the skulls are small in that corner of post and has to be their diet. This is not the first. We all Know Jerry Provrose last year he shot a 12 7/8 and was taken and guess what he took pictures of the deer with his camera before he shoot it and you can see the antlers out side the ears but they still took it.I have 2 8 pointers on camera right now that I would say are 2.5 to 3.5 but I would bet their spread is no more than 9 or 10 inchs and I show those pictures before every hunt and tell the hunters those deer are out there and they will be taken from them DON'T shoot them. I am not sure what else a man should do. Personally I have no idea what the rule is trying to accomplish. If you have a 3 1/2 year buck with a 12 7/8 spread 9 point I am sorry he is a mature buck and letting him go untill next year he might be a 4 1/2 year 13 inch spread 9 point. is that what we are shooting for. And we really want him to reproduce OK so we keep all of these small skull deer in one area.
        Boy this was my rant for today I must have been up all night doing school work sorry.
        That rule probably works pretty well for the areas where the State is trying to raise some trophy bucks, but raising trophy bucks isn't going to happen on Hood. The quality of the graze is not conducive to it. All they need to do is look at the shape the cattle are in and that should tell them right off that trophy bucks aren't going to happen.

Comment

Some good info....

Why Bother to Field Age Deer?
          .By being able to field judge the age of bucks more accurately, we can better manage our deer herds. We can maintain age class diversification, and better choose which young bucks to eliminate and which ones to keep for genetic improvement of antler characteristics in the future.
          Significant amounts of research indicate that a buck deer will usually not grow it's best rack until after it's body has fully developed. Until then, most of the nutritional intake is expended toward making bones and muscle. The full body development is normally complete about age 5 in whitetail. That means, the best rack a deer can grow will usually occur at age 5, 6, 7 or 8. Exactly which one set of antlers becomes the best depends on habitat, weather, amount and quality of supplemental feeding, also any injury and/or sickness to which the buck is subjected. About age 8, and sometimes earlier in very sandy country, the buck's teeth are worn down to where it is difficult to grind his food enough to release the nutrients. Antler size and body condition frequently declines after this. The deer simply can't eat enough to sustain himself.
          Based on this research, it only makes sense to pass up young bucks with large racks, since they have a very good chance of becoming even bigger in the near future. That also gives them a chance to pass on those genes for a large rack for another year or two. Conversely, the research also lets us know that a buck of 6 to 8 years has almost no chance of getting a bigger rack, and may actually soon be getting smaller, so he might as well be taken, regardless of rack size.

Reference: http://www.1atexasdeerhunting.com/bodyagingdeer.htm
          Last edited by jbitt4x4; 11-02-2011, 10:46 AM.

Comment

But then this kinda contradicts..lol...

Managing For Age

There are three basic components to managing deer herds. They are genetics, nutrition, and age. In order to manage for older age deer herds, a manager must manipulate the herd to produce some young deer, some middle age deer, and some older age deer. Having a nutritionally healthy deer herd at or below the carrying capacity of the land usually means a highly productive deer herd. This means that excess deer need to be removed yearly in order to maintain the herd at carrying capacity and in good nutritional health. Discounting natural mortality, in order for a deer herd to "turn over" every 6 years, only a 17% input of young deer is needed each year. Having a nutritionally healthy herd with a buck to doe ratio of 1:1 and a 80% to 100% fawn crop means more offspring are produced than needed. If these fawns are reared to one and one half years of age then surplus deer with the least genetic potential (spikes or four points) should be removed leaving the remainder to reach 5 or 6 years of age. Remember - just because a deer is five or six does not mean it will necessarily have big antlers. The trick is to remove deer with little antler potential and save those with the best potential.
            Since older age does are more productive than younger age does, an older age herd produces more off spring from which to cull. However, younger does are more likely to be from the better bucks that were not removed at an early age. Having buck to doe ratios of 1 to 1.5 or 1 to 2 will increase fawn production but deer must be culled severely as yearlings to maintain age in the herd.
            In order to add age to a deer herd some deer need to be removed at a young age and the remainder allowed to mature. Older age deer at maturity can then be harvested.

Comment

Originally posted by fthoodhoghunter View Post
              update thunder chicken didnt make it hes now in the freezer:d ldp,s this afternoon...3 year old 1 1/4 inch spurs and 9 inch beard
              congrats brother.

Comment

Question for Ya'll. Will callin in a turkey scare the deer off? I know on the surface this sounds kinda stupid. I've done a little callin, but haven't heard anything. I'm using a slate caller. I understand that if the call is done right, the deer would be used to hearing it, or at least I think so. Sorry to bother with what is probably an obvious question, but.

Comment

Originally posted by jbitt4x4 View Post
                  But then this kinda contradicts..lol...

Managing For Age

There are three basic components to managing deer herds. They are genetics, nutrition, and age. In order to manage for older age deer herds, a manager must manipulate the herd to produce some young deer, some middle age deer, and some older age deer. Having a nutritionally healthy deer herd at or below the carrying capacity of the land usually means a highly productive deer herd. This means that excess deer need to be removed yearly in order to maintain the herd at carrying capacity and in good nutritional health. Discounting natural mortality, in order for a deer herd to "turn over" every 6 years, only a 17% input of young deer is needed each year. Having a nutritionally healthy herd with a buck to doe ratio of 1:1 and a 80% to 100% fawn crop means more offspring are produced than needed. If these fawns are reared to one and one half years of age then surplus deer with the least genetic potential (spikes or four points) should be removed leaving the remainder to reach 5 or 6 years of age. Remember - just because a deer is five or six does not mean it will necessarily have big antlers. The trick is to remove deer with little antler potential and save those with the best potential.
                  Since older age does are more productive than younger age does, an older age herd produces more off spring from which to cull. However, younger does are more likely to be from the better bucks that were not removed at an early age. Having buck to doe ratios of 1 to 1.5 or 1 to 2 will increase fawn production but deer must be culled severely as yearlings to maintain age in the herd.
                  In order to add age to a deer herd some deer need to be removed at a young age and the remainder allowed to mature. Older age deer at maturity can then be harvested.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild...ment/deer/age/
                  James I have been watching the same buck for 3 years he comes in ever night at 7:15 to 7:30 been doing it for the last 3 years I would say he is probably 6 1/2 He had a nice rack 3 years ago and it was the same just a little taller last year and actually seems longer b ut is not wider he has marks so I know he is the same guy. We had a stare down 3 weeks ago but I refuse to take a shot that I am not sure of so he got a pass. I had the crossbow and all I had was a head on shot.Not once would he turn.

If the bucks that are on the west side pass their genitcs of small skulls then that should not be allowed and they need to go.
                  the little piggmis are nice in those far way lands but not here lol.

Comment

I agree with James and thanks that was a good read, I learned something I did not know.

John, I still think for a kids first deer 1/8 in sure aint too much to ask from the GW. There are some great guys guiding no doubt and no question, some go above and beyond.

On a good note the wife is still alive LOL. I got to head to VA to register up there in Temple since I am gonna be close to there I may as well on friday.

EdO will meet ya tomorrow at 1000 I got some shiner for ya time and learning to me don't argue.

Anyone ever use them golden nuggets from TSC in a feeder, been hand throwing and they sure seem to like it here but thinking on putting it in a spin feeder. to the brain trust what say you?

Comment

LOL John, you remember my feelings on how they(biologist) manage their deer on Hood..oh wait, they don't. You're right...that deer does need to go..but like you, I would not take the risk either..are they giving out fines now or still just taking the deer(which is bad enough..especially for a youth)?

We have a different antler restriction here...at least 3 points on one side, over an inch long. Good or bad..I'm not really sure yet...but I sure have seen a few spikes this year...and this No Hunting on Sundays is driving me crazy!!

James I have been watching the same buck for 3 years he comes in ever night at 7:15 to 7:30 been doing it for the last 3 years I would say he is probably 6 1/2 He had a nice rack 3 years ago and it was the same just a little taller last year and actually seems longer b ut is not wider he has marks so I know he is the same guy. We had a stare down 3 weeks ago but I refuse to take a shot that I am not sure of so he got a pass. I had the crossbow and all I had was a head on shot.Not once would he turn.

If the bucks that are on the west side pass their genitcs of small skulls then that should not be allowed and they need to go.
                      Last edited by jbitt4x4; 11-03-2011, 05:56 AM.

Comment

That may be good during rifle season, lol..hard to measure a split skull

Comment

Good read James

Comment

Originally posted by fthoodhoghunter View Post
                            Good read James

Thanks brother...as you can see I was VERY busy at work, lol...and congrats on the thunder chicken!

Found a 3D pop-up league here that myself and Sam are gonna give a try..should be interesting for sure...prizes are 2012 Strothers Bows
                            Last edited by jbitt4x4; 11-03-2011, 06:53 AM.

Comment

I have noticed sine the restriction started the GW pass out fines on a case by case situation. The only hunter in my area that has been fined was the E-6 a few years ago that shot a very small basket 5 point when I was Doe only. OOOOOps. $528.00 they rest have just lost their game but it does depend on their attitude

Comment

I have noticed sine the restriction started the GW pass out fines on a case by case situation. The only hunter in my area that has been fined was the E-6 a few years ago that shot a very small basket 5 point when I was Doe only. OOOOOps. $528.00 they rest have just lost their game but it does depend on their attitude
                                The GW's that I have run on to have seemed like all right guys to me. They have always treated me well. One of them could have cited me if he wanted for not having my stand/feeder tagged, but he didn't. Just told me I needed to tag it. Don't know if he ever came back to check on it or not. It was kind of a fluke anyway. The guy that runs the Blora trail rides called them because it was right after they closed 105 to deer hunting and suddenly a stand and feeder show up. When the GW went up to check I happened to be sitting in it. All he wanted to know was what I was hunting, told him pigs and that was it. Didn't even ask for my license. I suspect he had already checked whatever computer they check and my number popped up as being checked in.

Anyway, anybody I run into that has a badge and a gun gets, yes sir and no sir. Just doesn't pay to cop an attitude with them.

Comment

Working...
                                X