Fort Hood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Regalrod View Post
    Anybody see anything this weekend? I saw a coyote, but he saw me first at about 150 yards on the walk in on Saturday. Then heard a bunch of Yotes Saturday evening and Sunday evening. Saw nothing else, except some birds crunching on my hand thrown corn.
    Been seeing does and fawns in stand the bucks have been 3 1/2 or younger....This morning had a buck come in right as it was getting light huge body not sure on the Antlers was still to dark to make out what he was..Thinking it was one of the 5 year old's i have pics of

Comment

Anybody see anything this weekend? I saw a coyote, but he saw me first at about 150 yards on the walk in on Saturday. Then heard a bunch of Yotes Saturday evening and Sunday evening. Saw nothing else, except some birds crunching on my hand thrown corn.
      Not me. But then again I guess you need to be in the woods to see something. I went out for about two hours opening day and all I wanted to do was go home. Haven't been out since. Might give it a go later this week. Then again, might not. Deer hunting just don't get my juices flowing. Now hot chicks, that's a different story. Problem with that is, I'm too old for it to do me any good. Guess that leaves beer. Think I'll have one.

Comment

Uuuuummmmm beer

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Comment

For those that have feeders on post, do you use a tripod or a hanging? Also, do any of you use the bump feeders with any success?

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Comment

Both kinds are in pretty common use. Both have their problems .... cows and coons.

I have also been using home made gravity feeders. I take a section of either 4 or 6 inch pvc, but a small semi circle in one end for the corn to flow out of, make a bottom out of an old fence picket, and a top out of the same picket. Hang it from a limb high enough so the pigs can't get at it. If I had on here, I'd take a picture, but they are all in the woods. The deer seem to find them with no problem so don't see any reason the bump feeders wouldn't work. Have never tried one, so don't know.

I guess I could whip up a quick example of one of my home made jobs tomorrow and post a picture. I used to camo paint them, but have found out the deer don't mind the white color at all, so dispensed with the paint also. Think I'll do that. They are simple and quick so won't be a major issue.

Comment

Originally posted by EdO View Post
              Both kinds are in pretty common use. Both have their problems .... cows and coons.

I have also been using home made gravity feeders. I take a section of either 4 or 6 inch pvc, but a small semi circle in one end for the corn to flow out of, make a bottom out of an old fence picket, and a top out of the same picket. Hang it from a limb high enough so the pigs can't get at it. If I had on here, I'd take a picture, but they are all in the woods. The deer seem to find them with no problem so don't see any reason the bump feeders wouldn't work. Have never tried one, so don't know.

I guess I could whip up a quick example of one of my home made jobs tomorrow and post a picture. I used to camo paint them, but have found out the deer don't mind the white color at all, so dispensed with the paint also. Think I'll do that. They are simple and quick so won't be a major issue.

I would definitley be interested in seeing this and getting the building plan.

Comment

If you could that would help, alot. I've spent a lot of money this year already. Always looking for alternative (pronounced cheaper) methods.

Comment

If you could that would help, alot. I've spent a lot of money this year already. Always looking for alternative (pronounced cheaper) methods.
                  Yes sir. CHEAPER & cattle proof.

Comment

Good morning everyone. I was thinking of heading to Hood Thursday and setting up a pop up and throwing some hand corn and shooting a Boone and Crockett buck. Not looking for any ones honey but any suggestions on an area in general. I hunted hood 4 0r 5 years ago but not since. Thanks in advance.

Comment

Look in the 51-52 areas had good success there last year.

Anyone seeing any chasing or pre rut activity recently, trying to figure out when it is going to kick in, it was about this time last year that it was full swing. Any ideas??

Comment

Thanks the wife is going out of town Thurs so I figured I would make the trip. Any tips on camping in the area?

Comment

Originally posted by Huntjunkie View Post
                          Thanks the wife is going out of town Thurs so I figured I would make the trip. Any tips on camping in the area?
                          HAve you qualified yet? registered your vehicle?
                          If not make sure to bring your vehicle registration and insurance.
                          I have not hunted there in years so I can't give you any advice on places to go but thought the above information might come in handy.
                          Also, It used to be that the east, N.east side was pretty good and you could camp out at Lake Belton

Comment

Can't help on the E side it is closed. Belting is nice area right on the lake. 51 or 52 were good last year. Still wondering about swollen necks? Anyone?

Comment

How that my area is open this weekend

Comment

Originally posted by BowTechGuardian View Post
                                I would definitley be interested in seeing this and getting the building plan.
                                Here's all you gonna get. There is no plan or bill of materials. It's whatever you have on hand or can find in the junk. I don't think I've ever made two the same. Held together with screws, nails and glue or whatever works. Total cost for this one was zero. Just stuff out of my junk pile. I forgot to take a picture of the lid, but it's just a piece of board with two holes drilled in it. The line ties off inside the tube is fed through one side of the board, in the other and into the other side of the tube. It just slides up and down the line.

Funny thing is, I've let one sit for two or three months with no corn in it and still see deer tracks coming up to it. Guess they are curious to see if there's anything there.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X