No announcement yet.

Fort Hood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like I will miss this years season. Politicians can't make up their mind if we are staying or going home.

Comment

Originally posted by HoffDawg View Post
      Got my first hog this weekend, wasn't on hood, but now I got the itch. I will find some at hood..
      Did you get it with the Mini-sniper Hawglight I sent you?

pm sent.

Comment

Originally posted by BenBen View Post
        Looks like I will miss this years season. Politicians can't make up their mind if we are staying or going home.
        Not again brother??

Comment

Originally posted by AndyTX View Post
          Did you get it with the Mini-sniper Hawglight I sent you?

pm sent.
          No, I shot the coon with it, got the hog during the day light.

Comment

Think I am finally going to get out tomorrow and have a look around Hood. Figure I will head out early before it gets to hot.

Comment

Finally got out and looked around alittle. I found a couple spots I am thinking about setting up. I seen a few other stands out there. My question is, what is the distance you should have between stands? I am looking at a spot about 100 yards or so from another stand. There is no feeder at that stand, but I am putting a feeder out. Would that be rude to set up that close?

Comment

Originally posted by HoffDawg View Post
                Finally got out and looked around alittle. I found a couple spots I am thinking about setting up. I seen a few other stands out there. My question is, what is the distance you should have between stands? I am looking at a spot about 100 yards or so from another stand. There is no feeder at that stand, but I am putting a feeder out. Would that be rude to set up that close?
                Hey Shawn if it is a guided area you need to get with the chief guide of that area if it is an unguided area IAW the Fort Hood http://forthoodhunting.com/Annual Hunting, Fishing & Area Access Guide 2010-2011. Pg 25 will help you out

But keep in mind the new reg comes out Aug 15 with the new Hunting license and on Page 1 you will see some changes. They sent the guides a preview of the draft. I am not saying this will be there but I am 99.9 % sure it will be in the new reg. If you talk to Matt, Scott, or Phill at the sportsman center they will tell you when the new reg is coming out because when it does it is just like any other military reg it becomes affective.

I know your question was what is the ethical thing to do but unfortunately there are a lot of unethical hunters here at Fort Hood and we have to have rules like this.

2011-2012 Summary of Changes

 Stand Policy for the Unguided Hunt Programs:

o This policy will encompass ALL forms of unguided hunting.

o There will be a limit of three (3) permanent stands on Fort Hood per valid hunting permit.

o No locks or any other means to prevent use of the permanent stands will be authorized.

o Definition of permanent stand: any commercial box blind or constructed stand.

o Permanent stands WILL NOT be authorized in trees, to include platform stands and box blinds.

o Unguided hunters will turn in 10-digit UTM grid coordinates of their permanent stands to the Sportsmen’s Center.

o Unguided hunters will affix a gear tag to their permanent stands. Gear tag information will include: name, area, and date placed (phone number is optional).

o Feeders and food plots will continue to be authorized in the unguided areas. Food plots require a coordinated (approved) dig permit. Forms are available at the Sportsmen’s Center (Bldg 1937) or DPW/Natural Resources Management Branch (Bldg 1939).

o Non-compliance with this policy will subject violators to suspension or revocation of Fort Hood recreational privileges and forfeiture of any permit fees.

 All archery hunters must qualify in order to archery hunt on Fort Hood. Hunters using crossbows must also qualify. You only have to qualify once. If you have qualified in a previous season you must verify with the Sportsmen’s Center. Archery qualification must be annotated on your hunting permit. Archery qualifications will be with field tips only (practice tips.) Traditional bow hunters will meet the same qualification standards as youth.

See page ___ for qualification requirements.

 No guided reservations will be made until the weekly recreational land release is received from Range Control; there will be no more “blind” guided reservations for the following weekend in hopes that the area will be open. Guided reservations in Teletrac for opening day of General Gun Season will commence at 1600 on 3 November 2011.

Unguided reservations for opening day of General Gun Season will begin on 4 November 2011 at 1600. After opening weekend, unguided reservations in Teletrac are available at midnight for the next hunt day.

Clarifications

 Guided stand policy:

o Existing guided stands constructed in trees will be grandfathered and the stands may be continued to be maintained. No new stands will be constructed in trees.

o Feeders and food plots will continue to be authorized in the Guided areas. Food plots require a coordinated (approved) dig permit. Forms are available at the Sportsmen’s Center (Bldg 1937) or DPW/Natural Resources Management Branch (bldg 1939).

o All guided areas will turn in 10-digit UTM grid coordinates of all guided stands to the Sportsmen’s Center by established deadlines.

 Fishing in the ATV area is ONLY authorized in Landfill Lake, accessed by designated route only.

 No Bow fishing in the community lakes and ponds on Fort Hood. Bow fishing is ONLY authorized to take NON-GAME fish in the Cowhouse Creek and the Leon River.

 A state hunting license and Fort Hood hunting permit is required to take non-protected turtles and frogs on Fort Hood.

 Hunting with spears or clubs is not authorized on Fort Hood.

 Area 109 is Archery Only for BIG Game (deer & turkey) hunting. Small game hunting will only be authorized using shotgun and shot shells; however, NO firearms are authorized in the 39-10 and 39-11 grid squares.

Teletrac does not automatically clear any reservations. Users are responsible for checking out of the Teletrac system.

 Hunters on a guided hunt may clear their reservation from Teletrac at 10 am on their reservation date, still hunt the afternoon hunt, and make another reservation for the next hunt day.

 Guided hunters must clear the Teletrac system first in order to make another guided reservation. Teletrac does not automatically clear reservations. There is no penalty for not clearing a guided hunt reservation since it is a controlled hunt; however, guided hunters should clear their reservation when the hunt is completed.

 Hunter education certification deferment available through the state of Texas does not apply on Fort Hood. All hunters must have hunter education certification to hunt on Fort Hood.

 Half day Guided hunts will be conducted by potluck only; reservations will not be accepted for the half day hunts. Half day Guided hunts are in the afternoon. Guides and hunters must report to the Sportsmen’s Center by 14:00 hours.

 The Sportsmen’s Center receives the recreational land release from Range Control on Thursday afternoons EXCEPT when the Thursday is a training holiday, then the land release is received on Wednesday afternoon.

Comment

Originally posted by Walkin STX Hank View Post
                  Hey Shawn if it is a guided area you need to get with the chief guide of that area if it is an unguided area IAW the Fort Hood http://forthoodhunting.com/Annual Hunting, Fishing & Area Access Guide 2010-2011. Pg 25 will help you out

But keep in mind the new reg comes out Aug 15 with the new Hunting license and on Page 1 you will see some changes. They sent the guides a preview of the draft. I am not saying this will be there but I am 99.9 % sure it will be in the new reg. If you talk to Matt, Scott, or Phill at the sportsman center they will tell you when the new reg is coming out because when it does it is just like any other military reg it becomes affective.

I know your question was what is the ethical thing to do but unfortunately there are a lot of unethical hunters here at Fort Hood and we have to have rules like this.

2011-2012 Summary of Changes

 Stand Policy for the Unguided Hunt Programs:

o This policy will encompass ALL forms of unguided hunting.

o There will be a limit of three (3) permanent stands on Fort Hood per valid hunting permit.

o No locks or any other means to prevent use of the permanent stands will be authorized.

o Definition of permanent stand: any commercial box blind or constructed stand.

o Permanent stands WILL NOT be authorized in trees, to include platform stands and box blinds.

o Unguided hunters will turn in 10-digit UTM grid coordinates of their permanent stands to the Sportsmen’s Center.

o Unguided hunters will affix a gear tag to their permanent stands. Gear tag information will include: name, area, and date placed (phone number is optional).

o Feeders and food plots will continue to be authorized in the unguided areas. Food plots require a coordinated (approved) dig permit. Forms are available at the Sportsmen’s Center (Bldg 1937) or DPW/Natural Resources Management Branch (Bldg 1939).

o Non-compliance with this policy will subject violators to suspension or revocation of Fort Hood recreational privileges and forfeiture of any permit fees.

 All archery hunters must qualify in order to archery hunt on Fort Hood. Hunters using crossbows must also qualify. You only have to qualify once. If you have qualified in a previous season you must verify with the Sportsmen’s Center. Archery qualification must be annotated on your hunting permit. Archery qualifications will be with field tips only (practice tips.) Traditional bow hunters will meet the same qualification standards as youth.

See page ___ for qualification requirements.

 No guided reservations will be made until the weekly recreational land release is received from Range Control; there will be no more “blind” guided reservations for the following weekend in hopes that the area will be open. Guided reservations in Teletrac for opening day of General Gun Season will commence at 1600 on 3 November 2011.

Unguided reservations for opening day of General Gun Season will begin on 4 November 2011 at 1600. After opening weekend, unguided reservations in Teletrac are available at midnight for the next hunt day.

Clarifications

 Guided stand policy:

o Existing guided stands constructed in trees will be grandfathered and the stands may be continued to be maintained. No new stands will be constructed in trees.

o Feeders and food plots will continue to be authorized in the Guided areas. Food plots require a coordinated (approved) dig permit. Forms are available at the Sportsmen’s Center (Bldg 1937) or DPW/Natural Resources Management Branch (bldg 1939).

o All guided areas will turn in 10-digit UTM grid coordinates of all guided stands to the Sportsmen’s Center by established deadlines.

 Fishing in the ATV area is ONLY authorized in Landfill Lake, accessed by designated route only.

 No Bow fishing in the community lakes and ponds on Fort Hood. Bow fishing is ONLY authorized to take NON-GAME fish in the Cowhouse Creek and the Leon River.

 A state hunting license and Fort Hood hunting permit is required to take non-protected turtles and frogs on Fort Hood.

 Hunting with spears or clubs is not authorized on Fort Hood.

 Area 109 is Archery Only for BIG Game (deer & turkey) hunting. Small game hunting will only be authorized using shotgun and shot shells; however, NO firearms are authorized in the 39-10 and 39-11 grid squares.

Teletrac does not automatically clear any reservations. Users are responsible for checking out of the Teletrac system.

 Hunters on a guided hunt may clear their reservation from Teletrac at 10 am on their reservation date, still hunt the afternoon hunt, and make another reservation for the next hunt day.

 Guided hunters must clear the Teletrac system first in order to make another guided reservation. Teletrac does not automatically clear reservations. There is no penalty for not clearing a guided hunt reservation since it is a controlled hunt; however, guided hunters should clear their reservation when the hunt is completed.

 Hunter education certification deferment available through the state of Texas does not apply on Fort Hood. All hunters must have hunter education certification to hunt on Fort Hood.

 Half day Guided hunts will be conducted by potluck only; reservations will not be accepted for the half day hunts. Half day Guided hunts are in the afternoon. Guides and hunters must report to the Sportsmen’s Center by 14:00 hours.

 The Sportsmen’s Center receives the recreational land release from Range Control on Thursday afternoons EXCEPT when the Thursday is a training holiday, then the land release is received on Wednesday afternoon.

Thanks for the info. I know what you mean about unethical hunters. I have never really hunted public land before. I didn't want to set up to close to someone else, I see the guide said 50 yards for archery. I will get with someone at SC to get the regs and everything. Thanks again.

Comment

Got another question for y'all. Is there anywhere I can get some practice with my bow? My 10 yard, and 20 yard pins are good to go, my 30 yard I think is off. I can only get out to about 20 yards at my house.

Comment

There is the range at the sportsman center.
                      Plus we have the new 3 D out there at BLORA

Comment

Also keep in mind that a lock on and ladder stand DONT fall under the permanent stands... but in the guided areas get with the guide if you plan to hunt that stand during general season like Hank said

Comment

James,
                          Yeah it seems that after 11yrs the "Iraqi government" can't figure it out. It's getting ugly over here and the U.S. Taxpayer is footing the bill.

Comment

Originally posted by fthoodhoghunter View Post
                            Also keep in mind that a lock on and ladder stand DONT fall under the permanent stands... but in the guided areas get with the guide if you plan to hunt that stand during general season like Hank said

Hoping to be done by the general season.

Comment

It is a great place to hunt if you follow all of the rules

Comment

Every year somebody tries it there way and the GW takes care of them, unlike most counties with just one or 2 GW we have a whole flock of GW you will see those siler truck running every where. and dont be surprized when you get pics of the GW on your TC they are out there per the BG guidance. in the unguided areas they are looking for your gear tags and all of the proper documentation.
                                Keep one thing in mind Fort Hood is federal and when you here the GW give other people a small or large fine off post and then on Fort Hood totally the oposite it happens every year.
                                Good Luck

Comment

Working...
                                X