Fort Hood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FullDrawFanatic View Post
    Yea I know! Maybe I need to invest in the 300's a little...they seem to never close!
    Some very good friends showed me the 300s. EXCELLENT AREAS! However, because of financial reasons and family committments, it is too far for me to drive all the time and try to keep areas corned. Another thing is once regular season starts, most of the 300s are all guided areas. I like the unguided areas because I can bowhunt all season long. I will go on a guided hunt but I love when I can get a deer with my bow. As Ed says below, if you can get areas in different regions, that is great. You have more options but again for me I pick spots that are close together so when I go corn I don't have to drive all over Fort Hood. But, for the next week both of my areas are completely closed. Can't even corn this next week. Good Luck Brother

Originally posted by EdO View Post
    Until the Nat. Guard fires up their training.

Best thing to do, won't help this season, is scout an area or two and be set in each quadrant. Even that will sometimes doesn't work, but gives you the best chance. Of couse that assumes you have the time and resources available.

Hunting Hood unguided can be an adventure. Alas, there's not a lot of options in this part of TX.

Comment

Originally posted by BowTechGuardian View Post
      Some very good friends showed me the 300s. EXCELLENT AREAS! However, because of financial reasons and family committments, it is too far for me to drive all the time and try to keep areas corned. Another thing is once regular season starts, most of the 300s are all guided areas. I like the unguided areas because I can bowhunt all season long. I will go on a guided hunt but I love when I can get a deer with my bow. As Ed says below, if you can get areas in different regions, that is great. You have more options but again for me I pick spots that are close together so when I go corn I don't have to drive all over Fort Hood. But, for the next week both of my areas are completely closed. Can't even corn this next week. Good Luck Brother
      That's why I started using feeders even if they get stolen if they last a few weeks they are cheaper than gas to go back and forth every few days

Comment

Originally posted by 1poorboy View Post
        That's why I started using feeders even if they get stolen if they last a few weeks they are cheaper than gas to go back and forth every few days
        I do have a couple of the small hanging bucket feeders but I like handcorn. Feeder can draw attention to your spot.

Comment

I agree it's just hard to keep several places baited by hand

Comment

Originally posted by BowTechGuardian View Post
            I do have a couple of the small hanging bucket feeders but I like handcorn. Feeder can draw attention to your spot.
            well if i see a feeder or even a vehicle parked i try to back out of the area and find something away from them, they obviously have put in some work to have a feeder and stand set and i dont want to ruin their day by walking in on them or setting up too close by, so me personnaly just prefer to back out and go about my business elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckcommander08 View Post
              well if i see a feeder or even a vehicle parked i try to back out of the area and find something away from them, they obviously have put in some work to have a feeder and stand set and i dont want to ruin their day by walking in on them or setting up too close by, so me personnaly just prefer to back out and go about my business elsewhere.
              Its too bad there are ppl out there who don't share your's and the majority of ethical hunters philosophy. I got a friend up at Riley who had a sweet set up and someone was just climbed in his stand. So he politely asked him would he get down so he could hunt his set up that he put in work on. The guy got real rude and told him to go $%^& himself. So my friend started to dismantle the ladders and said let's see how you get down. I laughed my ***** off. Needless to say the guy got down. But the day was obviously ruined.

Comment

Originally posted by GottaGetMy1stWT View Post
                Its too bad there are ppl out there who don't share your's and the majority of ethical hunters philosophy. I got a friend up at Riley who had a sweet set up and someone was just climbed in his stand. So he politely asked him would he get down so he could hunt his set up that he put in work on. The guy got real rude and told him to go $%^& himself. So my friend started to dismantle the ladders and said let's see how you get down. I laughed my ***** off. Needless to say the guy got down. But the day was obviously ruined.
                Wow!

Comment

It's a tough game hunting "Public Land". Ya never know what you are going to get. Matt was very kind in allowing me to hunt one of his sets in 203 a few years ago. I really enjoyed it but also realized just how close people set up on each other. Hood is the biggest military land mass in the US though people find it difficult to put in the work to find there own spot so to speak. If you think you are close to each other now just wait for gun season to open. ONE shot can ruin the hunt for many. With all the farm land around the Centex area I've been fortunate and blessed to be able to knock on a few doors and granted permission to hunt. If you don't mind hard work by helping the farmers every chance you get then it's worth it. It's not about money for the farmers. It's about getting the fields turned, planted, harvested and repeat. I've learned so much from them. As well they have so much knowledge when it comes to planting for game and can get you the seed at such incredible prices. Take the time to get out to the outer lands and knock on some doors. It's worth it.

Comment

I have access to two places both 30 minutes from my house. One Birdranger got me hooked up. SERIOUSLY take the time to venture out and about. In my experience as long as you are willing to put in the work most of the farmers have no issue with letting you hunt. There's a huge HOG problem in Texas and especially CENTEX. Great practice for deer season and the farmers want them gone. Theres some counties that have a bounty on hogs soooooo do your research and get out there. Happy hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by BenBen View Post
                      It's a tough game hunting "Public Land". Ya never know what you are going to get. Matt was very kind in allowing me to hunt one of his sets in 203 a few years ago. I really enjoyed it but also realized just how close people set up on each other. Hood is the biggest military land mass in the US though people find it difficult to put in the work to find there own spot so to speak. If you think you are close to each other now just wait for gun season to open. ONE shot can ruin the hunt for many. With all the farm land around the Centex area I've been fortunate and blessed to be able to knock on a few doors and granted permission to hunt. If you don't mind hard work by helping the farmers every chance you get then it's worth it. It's not about money for the farmers. It's about getting the fields turned, planted, harvested and repeat. I've learned so much from them. As well they have so much knowledge when it comes to planting for game and can get you the seed at such incredible prices. Take the time to get out to the outer lands and knock on some doors. It's worth it.
                      I see a lot nice spots on my drive home that I have been telling myself I an gonna stop and knock on the door and ask. Just haven't built up the nerve yet. But it seems your post may have helped in that department; thanks.

Comment

A little bit of time effort and being polite and respectful can get ya places you would not imagine.. Just make sure you don't show up ready to hunt. If you never ask, you will never get an answer.

Comment

The key is exactly what Birdranger said. Even if the farmer says no, offer to help anyway. I worked for the farmer for almost a year before he offered. He knew I bowhunted and we had many conversations about the difference between gun and bow hunters. The time you spend along with the efforts go a long, long way. Best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by BirdRanger View Post
                            A little bit of time effort and being polite and respectful can get ya places you would not imagine.. Just make sure you don't show up ready to hunt. If you never ask, you will never get an answer.
                            Originally posted by BenBen View Post
                            The key is exactly what Birdranger said. Even if the farmer says no, offer to help anyway. I worked for the farmer for almost a year before he offered. He knew I bowhunted and we had many conversations about the difference between gun and bow hunters. The time you spend along with the efforts go a long, long way. Best of luck.
                            Thanks.

I'm logged into my area for tomorrow, weather checked and winds are just right. I think this cold air should have them up and moving. Wish me luck.

Comment

Originally posted by GottaGetMy1stWT View Post
                              Thanks.

I'm logged into my area for tomorrow, weather checked and winds are just right. I think this cold air should have them up and moving. Wish me luck.
                              Good luck, same here brother!

Comment

Good luck all in the morning, they should be moving about 730 and 9 according to the moon phase 2 days out from a full moon...

Get one at garys tomorrow Ben. They gonna be chasing and fighting all day.

Comment

Working...
                                X