Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Fort Hood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey guys im getting stationed to ft hood in june and was wondering how the deer hunting is and how big the area is also any good duck hunting around there? thanks

Comment

Way to go Kevin. Congratulations on a big ole doe.

I am still working on one of these Ft. Hood "Stuborn" bucks. Got some nice shooters coming in to a couple of different blinds. Sat one of them last night and had a small 6 come in to the corn and eat for like 20 minutes. Then 3 does came out about 100 yards away.........he threw his nose up in the air and hauled tail to them trotting the whole way. I watched him chase them around the bottom back and forth.....him grunting the whole time with his nose to the ground and occasionally he would stop and stick it straight in the air....trying to sniff them out. Then right at dark I had 3 nice shooter bucks come out about 150 yards away.......they walked closer to about 75 yards......stopped.....and the second biggest turned around and started fighting with the biggest one. They fought for about 5 minutes.....the little one just standing there watching the whole thing.

So I figured I would go back out this morning and hopefully catch some more action at that blind. No luck....I went skunked. So at lunch time I figured I would go check my camera on my other blind on the other side of the area......wouldnt you know a shooter 8 was there from 0700 til 0745......

Figures!!!!! I'll be back out again tomorrow.....and the next day and the next day......gonna make it happen!!!!

Comment

This is the one that decided to visit the stand that I was not in this morning...........

Think he is a "SHOOTER"???????
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by TXArrowSlinger View Post
          This is the one that decided to visit the stand that I was not in this morning...........

Think he is a "SHOOTER"???????
          I think I would be in that stand sun-up to sun-down

Comment

Yep I would too.

Comment

James.....I have been in the woods for the last 3 days straight. And had 2 close encounters........and that big boy that got to live another day due to the wind being wrond for that stand. You can garauntee I will be there at 0 dark 30 tomorrow morning......cause the wind is supposed to be perfect!!!!

As it stands right now.........deer 3........Jason 0.

Tomorrow is the last day for my chance at a big buck thanks to them closing post to hunting on New years Eve and New years Day......and it figures that is the last two days of season this year!!!!! Let's see what happens....then 2 weeks for a spike or doe........ After that it is back to the hogs..............bring on the bacon!!!!!
              Last edited by TXArrowSlinger; 12-29-2011, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Belated Merry Christmas everybody ...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBKGoj7nKAw&feature=related"]12 Redneck Days of Christmas by Jeff Foxworthy - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Happy new years all, heading to the stand now.

Comment

Happy New Year to all of my fellow GreenScreeners. Y'all be safe this year and may all of your resolutions come true.

I couldn't make it happen with a NICE Texas buck before the end of the season........but at least I had some close calls and had a blast trying. Now I am going to focus on trying to put a doe or spike in the freezer.....maybe I will make that happen. Then it is back to hogs.....I know I can put them in the freezer....LMAO!!!

Good luck and Good Hunting!!!!

Comment

Well I went out for Hogs yesterday........saw a lot of sign, but didn't see or hear any oinkers. I know they are hitting my feeder again......along with the rest of the guys n the fence line. Walked around and found a few more good spots. Sat in the tree until about 2000 and didnt have anything come in. And wouldn't you know that out of a whole day in the woods where I cannot shoot deer, I had 4 does and 6 shooter bucks with in range......LMAO. Total deer count for the day was 9 bucks and 7 does.

Ed, I Ran into Ken and talked with him for a good while. Very good guy, tell him I said it was nice to finally meet him.

Well off to the other side of the main road to scout around and see if they are over there.

Happy hunting to all.

Comment

Originally posted by TXArrowSlinger View Post
                        Well I went out for Hogs yesterday........saw a lot of sign, but didn't see or hear any oinkers. I know they are hitting my feeder again......along with the rest of the guys n the fence line. Walked around and found a few more good spots. Sat in the tree until about 2000 and didnt have anything come in. And wouldn't you know that out of a whole day in the woods where I cannot shoot deer, I had 4 does and 6 shooter bucks with in range......LMAO. Total deer count for the day was 9 bucks and 7 does.

Ed, I Ran into Ken and talked with him for a good while. Very good guy, tell him I said it was nice to finally meet him.

Well off to the other side of the main road to scout around and see if they are over there.

Happy hunting to all.

Yeah, if you ran into him, you can just about bet that he talked for a good bit He'll talk your ears off.

Don't know what happened to the piggies. They were tearing the place up a week ago.

Comment

Where & What to Look For?

I am looking for some pointers about looking for spots to bowhunt for next season. I pulled my stand out of 1 spot because a guy moved in 30-40 yds from me.

1. What do you look for when you are searching for a new spot on Ft Hood? What type of terrain do you look for? It is very hard to see tracks when it is dry so what else do you look for?
                          2. When do you put out game cameras? If you did it now or in the spring/summer, isn't it possible that those deer could change their patterns before next season?
                          3. What do you use to put in front of cameras and to bait around your stands? I know corn is usually the best but are there any other favorites? Does anyone use minerals or protein that you can just pour on the ground?

Comment

Thinking about trying to get out and get some bacon this weekend. Anyone have an idea where they are??? Havent had one on camera in 105 for a couple months!

Comment

Originally posted by J-Raz View Post
                              Thinking about trying to get out and get some bacon this weekend. Anyone have an idea where they are??? Havent had one on camera in 105 for a couple months!
                              Lower end of 104 is worth a look.

Comment

Well finally made it to Odessa and started work, feels good. Will be heading to hobbs New Mexico in two weeks.

Thing that is funny is we got snow on the ground here, can't believe it.

Comment

Working...
                                X