No announcement yet.

Fort Hood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They probably hide over in 104 down by the lake or across the road in the 35-36 areas, who knows.

In Jan I am heading out to Odessa for work and mule deer hunting see what happens finally got a good job that pays well, a bit more than Academy pays, but not much. LOL.

Comment

Went out this morning; hung a feeder and tightened the ratchet straps on the ladder stand so everything is good to go. Didn't see any hog sign, and only a couple deer tracks. With the corn going they will probably start showing up. They hang out across the fence down by the lake for the most part. They have easy access across the fence at Jason's and my place. They also hang out in the no hunt area west of 105 and come across the access road. I came in from the west side and was glad I had 4wd. Don't know what coming in from the east is like. It looked like somebody has been hunting that tripod stand on the horse trail heading down the hill. At least somebody had parked there recently.

Comment

Everyone on Christmas break.

Comment

Originally posted by birdranger View Post
          everyone on christmas break.
          12 hour days at srp all week. Final push to get as many troops home as possible before the holidays.

Comment

Been out in the woods trying to get something together. Can't seem to pattern these late season bucks........at least in the areas that are left open......and seems the hogs have vanished for the time being...... Gonna keep at it.....but it is getting down to the wire. We will see what happens........that's why it is hunting and not killing!!!!!!

Comment

Yep I hear ya Jason it has been tough but like you I am still working on it.

Comment

Had an encounter with a HUGE 3 1/2 year old 8 point tonight. He was about 17" wide and had LONG G-2's, couldn't really make out his 3's because I was looking at his main beams that swept back almost touching in front of his eyes. About 15 minutes before dark he came strolling in. Saw him at about 100 yards and he was angling away from me....then he stopped and looked behind him for a little bit. When he started walking again...he was making a b line for my shooting window. At about 50 yards when he got behind a little tree I drew........clink.....oops....**** arrow made noise. He stopped and looked in my direction.....I was at full draw for like 2 minutes before I had to let down. I was shaking horribly......I'll say it was from the poundage...LMAO. Well he decided that he didn't like what he heard and trotted off the other way.

Then I was texting a buddy......barely because I was shaking so bad.....and looked up and had a doe staring at me from 10 yards.....she blew and took off. Then as I sit there wondering what would have happened if Mr. Bucky would have been closer........another even BIGGER buck starts coming in on the same trail....he had a huge body, but I couldn't really see his rack because it was getting dark. Wouldnt you know he walked past me at 35 yards.....but I couldnt see my darn pins.

I decided to get out of the blind after he walked off a little ways.....and next thing you know the darn opening explodes with deer.......blowing to my left....to my right....behind me.....on top of the ridge......DARN deer everywhere. I just hope I didn't mess it up too bad......because I am going to be in there trying to connect with one of those BEAUTIFUL Texas bucks as much as possible before the new year. Turned out to be a good spot....considering I had just set it up tonight

Also got word that the little porkers are making their rounds again!!!!!!

Lets fill the freezers boys!!!!
                Last edited by TXArrowSlinger; 12-21-2011, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Sweet..stick to it...you'll get him...our season comes back in on Monday...and I will be out full force, lol

Originally posted by TXArrowSlinger View Post
                  Had an encounter with a HUGE 3 1/2 year old 8 point tonight. He was about 17" wide and had LONG G-2's, couldn't really make out his 3's because I was looking at his main beams that swept back almost touching in front of his eyes. About 15 minutes before dark he came strolling in. Saw him at about 100 yards and he was angling away from me....then he stopped and looked behind him for a little bit. When he started walking again...he was making a b line for my shooting window. At about 50 yards when he got behind a little tree I drew........clink.....oops....**** arrow made noise. He stopped and looked in my direction.....I was at full draw for like 2 minutes before I had to let down. I was shaking horribly......I'll say it was from the poundage...LMAO. Well he decided that he didn't like what he heard and trotted off the other way.

Then I was texting a buddy......barely because I was shaking so bad.....and looked up and had a doe staring at me from 10 yards.....she blew and took off. Then as I sit there wondering what would have happened if Mr. Bucky would have been closer........another even BIGGER buck starts coming in on the same trail....he had a huge body, but I couldn't really see his rack because it was getting dark. Wouldnt you know he walked past me at 35 yards.....but I couldnt see my darn pins.

I decided to get out of the blind after he walked off a little ways.....and next thing you know the darn opening explodes with deer.......blowing to my left....to my right....behind me.....on top of the ridge......DARN deer everywhere. I just hope I didn't mess it up too bad......because I am going to be in there trying to connect with one of those BEAUTIFUL Texas bucks as much as possible before the new year. Turned out to be a good spot....considering I had just set it up tonight

Also got word that the little porkers are making their rounds again!!!!!!

Lets fill the freezers boys!!!!

Comment

Merry CHRISTmas and Happy New Year to ALL!

Comment

Have a Merry Chrismas and a safe and Happy New Year.

Hope all of your dreams come true and your resolutions are not short lived.

Remember to take a minute and say a prayer for all of our Soldiers, Airmen, Sailors, and Marines that are still overseas and in harms way fighting for our FREEDOM to celebrate these wonderful Holidays in the best Country in the World!!!!! God Bless and God Speed!!!!

Comment

Amen....going out try and sneek up on a pig tomorrow will see what happens

Comment

Ken says they are a lot of tracks up by our stands. Jason, Ken and myself have been throwing corn. My feeders probably empty by now. Need to go up and refill it. Soon as we get a warm day. I'm such a sissy.

Comment

I am heading out there tomorrow as well Matt. Probably towards the afternoon time. Gonna try and stick a little porker.

Went and checked my cameras today.....got some nice bucks coming in the last couple of days in the daylight. Went to check in to hunt tomorrow....and all of the areas are still closed. Hopefully they will open back up so I can hutn hard for the next week. Gonna give it my all on the last week to try and connect. Lets see what happens.

If not I have about a two year old spike that may hit the dirt if he gives me a chance.

Comment

Hoping one of these will feed my MUZZIES this week. I will be doing everything I can. Wish me luck.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Finally recovered and on the board. Got to the blind 1630 sat and had a little 4 pt come in watched a fox and was dead set on shooting it till a Doe showed 25 min later she lay 10 feet right where she was hit.110 dressed but gonna make good hamburger.

Comment

Working...
                                X