No announcement yet.

Old Sabine Bottom WMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, Old Sabine Bottom is not worth the time and effort to try and skewer a hog???

I was going to head out there this coming Tuesday, April 2, 2013. The word I had heard was that it was a good spot for hog hunting. If anyone has accurate and up to date info please let me know.

Thanks,
    Andrew

Comment

Ttt

Comment

Keep us posted!

Comment

Felix40 and I have hunted old sabine a fair amount this year. There are a good number of hogs there but its no cake walk. I have killed 2 out there and have missed 2. He has killed 2 that were not recovered and he has missed a couple as well. We both hunt with recurves so we like to get inside of 20 yards. Blew multiple stalks trying to get from 40 to 20. The wind swirls like no place i have ever hunted. We got on a group one time and changed approaches 5 or 6 times before we even got started stalking because the wind kept switching. The wind has screwed us many times on what we thought was a slam dunk.

We have probably walked a total of 100 miles a piece out there. Possibly more. We have run trail cams on good looking spots, with very little success. They seem to be very mobile due to having such a large area to roam.

We started hunting if february i think. We had our best success early in the year and the action tapered off from there. We have gotten skunked the last few times. We had not been in a while and decided to go last night since the temps had come down some. We will not be going back until closer to deer season. It is VERY grown up. Trails are not being maintained. Areas that we have gotten on hogs before, are now chest to head high with new cane growth. Majority of the woods have knee to thigh high grass. You would have to trip on a hog to see it. Majority of the water has dried up so one might have some success if they found a water hole they were using. We checked a few sloughs and were disappointed with the minimal amount of sign.

We are going to give deer hunting a try out there come october. We've put in enough miles out there to have a general idea of where some decent spots are. Neither of us has deer hunted public land before so I'm sure it will be a learning experience.

Comment

Working...
          X