Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Public Hunting on Caddo National Grasslands Anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not required for LBJ though.

Comment

Spent some time hunting #19 and #30. Camped up by #19 late December. Only one other guy in camp, with his son. They seemed nice, but when the rain hit, they left their water-bogged tent and went home. I texted the guy and told him he left the tent and some trash, and he said, "Oh, you can have it." People like this is why we can't have nice things folks. Clean up after yourselves. Yeah, it's raining I get it, but come on.

Anyways, back to hunting. Went deep into 19 and 30, almost down to private land and the water. Saw plenty of hogs. It's thick, so dress appropriately. You will get cut up no matter what. GPS is a must. Our group only saw one doe, no other deer. Some tracks deeper into the units. Buddy shot a hog. I missed at several runners.

Middle of the day on the last day, some guys showed up hunting with dogs which was the end of that trip.

Someone commented about low deer numbers, and no does being harvested, etc. It's my understanding does are actually not allowed to be harvested there. At least that's how it was for 2019. The reason being was that the doe population was wiped out there over the last 10 years by guys filling their freezers, which I get. Anyways, good luck! I'll try to get some hogs up there some time this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Zmaj View Post
        Spent some time hunting #19 and #30. Camped up by #19 late December. Only one other guy in camp, with his son. They seemed nice, but when the rain hit, they left their water-bogged tent and went home. I texted the guy and told him he left the tent and some trash, and he said, "Oh, you can have it." People like this is why we can't have nice things folks. Clean up after yourselves. Yeah, it's raining I get it, but come on.

Anyways, back to hunting. Went deep into 19 and 30, almost down to private land and the water. Saw plenty of hogs. It's thick, so dress appropriately. You will get cut up no matter what. GPS is a must. Our group only saw one doe, no other deer. Some tracks deeper into the units. Buddy shot a hog. I missed at several runners.

Middle of the day on the last day, some guys showed up hunting with dogs which was the end of that trip.

Someone commented about low deer numbers, and no does being harvested, etc. It's my understanding does are actually not allowed to be harvested there. At least that's how it was for 2019. The reason being was that the doe population was wiped out there over the last 10 years by guys filling their freezers, which I get. Anyways, good luck! I'll try to get some hogs up there some time this year.

You can harvest a doe during bow season only, unless you win a USFS tag that is required during rifle season. its a lotto only, and the draw is already complete. We camped out there opening weekend, some guy showed up after dark running his coon dogs blowing out the entire unit for what seemed like forever with the howling and constant barking. Not only was that inconsiderate, but I’m pretty sure it’s also illegal to hunt public after dark. Seems to be the Wild West out there, lots of baiting and tree trimming, lane clearing, stands permanently mounted to trees. People claim their spots and get mad when other people use their stands. It get hits pretty hard, there was at least a dozen people that either camped or came and went during the opener. I found at least 8 ladder stands, a salt block, several piles of corn. It’s frustrating to say the least. I won’t camp there again, I’ll just sneak in and go way back before sunrise, do my thing and leave quietly or focus on other units.
        Last edited by firemedic731; 10-19-2020, 07:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X