Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got Drawn for White Oak Creek and Gus Engeling, Any Tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got Drawn for White Oak Creek and Gus Engeling, Any Tips?

Never been to either of these places, but have heard some great things! I've read through some of the old threads, but does anyone have any more tips for me in terms of compartments, hunt methods, speed scouting, etc?

The WOC hunt is gun either sex and GE is management doe/spike.

Thanks!

26 views and no thoughts?

Comment

Not much to say about WOC,typical east Texas pineywoods hunting. I've done the rifle draw hunts probably 8 or 9 times and a few trips during bow season as well. Best advice I could give is try to stay in the woods all day and be on your toes all day during the peak of the rut(early-mid november)...bucks will be running does all day long.

Comment

Originally posted by buzzcut View Post
        Not much to say about WOC,typical east Texas pineywoods hunting. I've done the rifle draw hunts probably 8 or 9 times and a few trips during bow season as well. Best advice I could give is try to stay in the woods all day and be on your toes all day during the peak of the rut(early-mid november)...bucks will be running does all day long.
        Thanks buzzcut, my hunt is in mid December but sitting all day can't hurt!

Comment

White Oak is an expansive hardwood bottom land. There are some areas that are pine but the Sulphur Runs through it and it if rains, it floods a large portion of the bottoms leading into Wright Patman lake.

Comment

Originally posted by flogORfish View Post
            White Oak is an expansive hardwood bottom land. There are some areas that are pine but the Sulphur Runs through it and it if rains, it floods a large portion of the bottoms leading into Wright Patman lake.
            X2 The place is huge. The hogs are thick there and should be some monster bucks lurking in those bottoms. I've hunted it several times in the past and enjoyed the area. In addition to the pines, there are a lot of hardwoods as well.

Comment

On to the west of White Oak towards the lake, I've seen a Black Bear and a Red Wolf...pretty cool.

Take a Thermacell, especially if it rains. The bottom is dry right now because they haven't had a lot of rain over there, but if it rains the skeeters will come alive.

I hunted the corp land around the lake a couple of years ago. Saw some deer and lots of hog sign too. It's basically the same as White Oak, had some luck hunting edges.

Google Earth and Bing Maps are your best tools for finding a starting place.

Comment

Working...
              X