Official Lake Georgetown Public Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1elkaholic2 View Post
    I asked about skinning and quartering at Orientation. Olen said they needed them Gutted only with hide intact for their harvest data records. I would just fill the chest cavity with Ice and put it in the biggest cooler you have, or see if one of the local processors will let you hang it in their cooler overnight.

Congrats!
    I'm one of those weird guys that processes their own game. Not sure how that would look. Taking my deer over to a processor to keep cold when I simply don't intend to give him the business.

Comment

True. When I lived up in the northwest, there were sveral processors who charged a " hanging fee" for out of area hunters who wanted to bring their Deer / Elk to their own processors near their home. It was very common. I also process my own, and I live 2 hours from Georgetown. I have been thinking about this same scenerio. I guess I should contact a processor to see if this is an option Before I have to deal with it.

Comment

here at Russell park for a while don't see anyone around

we need to post a step by step guide on how to check in deer!

Comment

I process my own deer I get in the piny woods because I have the right setup but here I don't so I am getting it processed there is a spot real close run by a Guy named Colt -- hunters creek processing might want to ask him about hanging fee

Comment

Originally posted by Falling View Post
            here at Russell park for a while don't see anyone around

we need to post a step by step guide on how to check in deer!
            The check-in steps are quite simple, here are things they are going to do:
            1) Weight the deer (without gut)
            2) Check lactation
            3) Measure the antler if it is a buck
            4) Check the teeth to age the deer
            5) Record your license and above info. on the book
            6) Issue you a management deer permit and attach to the deer

I talked to the gentleman at Tejas. They would still let you check-in if they are available, even it is out of the regular check-in time.
            Last edited by cy100; 10-08-2012, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cy100 View Post
              The check-in steps are quite simple, here are things they are going to do:
              1) Weight the deer (without gut)
              2) Check lactation
              3) Measure the antler if it is a buck
              4) Check the teeth to age the deer
              5) Record your license and above info. on the book
              6) Issue you a management deer permit and attach to the deer

I talked to the gentleman at Tejas. They would still let you check-in if they are available, even it is out of the regular check-in time.
              That is great information, but was more looking for just: where do you go exactly (gps points) -- is there a sign, will it be obvious? I drove all over Russell never saw anything obvious, but it's prob because I have never done this before. I'm going to go back out there this afternoon, it's no big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Falling View Post
                That is great information, but was more looking for just: where do you go exactly (gps points) -- is there a sign, will it be obvious? I drove all over Russell never saw anything obvious, but it's prob because I have never done this before. I'm going to go back out there this afternoon, it's no big deal.
                Oh, missed that part, just assume everyone knows where to go.

Russel park, 30°40'46.55"N 97°45'34.92"W
                Tejas, 30°41'46.39"N 97°49'38.18"W

Comment

Originally posted by cy100 View Post
                  Oh, missed that part, just assume everyone knows where to go.

Russel park, 30°40'46.55"N 97°45'34.92"W
                  Tejas, 30°41'46.39"N 97°49'38.18"W
                  awesome. drove right by that and into the park and drove all over the place inside -- doh.

Comment

cy100 thanks a ton by the way. Thorns out there are brutal when your all pumped up and not watching as close ;-0...next time i'm going to have to slow down. Still finding new ones i did not notice last night.

Comment

Hello Gtown lake hunters......I own Hunters Creek Processing and just wanted to clarify that we do have cold storage at $20.00/day for the GS. Good luck this season!

Comment

Perfect! Thank you!

Comment

For Russel the spot is a white camper after u go past the entrance (with the spikes on the exit side) on the left. I had to go knock on the door-- so don't be shy. You can see the deer hanger on the side of their camper.

--those Gps cords above worked great, but on my phone for some reason it's off, but on computer it's perfect.

Comment

Were you using iPhone5 ?

Comment

From email from Stacy:

You must go either to the RV centered in Tejas Park or the second RV that sits on the left in Russell Park (it sits right at the gate for Russell Shelters #1 & #2).

Comment

How close can someone actually setup next to you? Someone setup about 50yrds from me. I emailed Olen because I was approved first. I don't want any issues so I may move if I find out they are allowed to be that close.

Comment

Working...
                                X