No announcement yet.

Official Lake Georgetown Public Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I went out tonight and no luck or should I say Badluck. I was sitting in my blind about 7pm when a deer behind some cedar trees,behind my feeder winded me. All I herd was a big blow followed by another one. Never saw a deer but Im sure it winded me. She must have been right behind my feeder.

Any ideas on how to prevent getting winded?

Comment

Originally posted by 2grunts View Post
      Well I went out tonight and no luck or should I say Badluck. I was sitting in my blind about 7pm when a deer behind some cedar trees,behind my feeder winded me. All I herd was a big blow followed by another one. Never saw a deer but Im sure it winded me. She must have been right behind my feeder.

You can get a whole scent killer kit at Walmart for $20. I usually wash with it at least a day or two in advance and don't use any normal products (like I will use scent killer deodorant, gum, dryer sheets, clothing wash). I don't pee near my stand (or I'll take a bottle out with me to pee in), and after I wash all my gear in the de-scenting regimen I put them in scent lock bags with that earth scent wafer stuff. I will also spray my blind and chair etc down with scent killer spray. I usually use my boat to get to my spot too, so I make sure and use some of the scent killer hand sanitizer after I drive in since I surely got some kind of gas smell on my hands by then. That seems to work well.

Comment

You can pee on the ground and it will have no effect. You can wash with every product in the world and wear a $500 scent suit and still get picked off. Gotta hunt the wind or get lucky. Try storing clothes in cedar after washing and while you are sitting grind fresh cedar in your fingers.

Comment

I also carry a bottle of spray in my pack with me in the stand. When it's hot like last night was, I sprayed myself down every hour or so. Hit your armpits, hat or anywhere else you are sweating. I will also put a cedar scent wafer next to either pop up/ stand and sometimes hang one on my pack. Last night the wind was shifting around pretty good. Gotta be lucky too!

Comment

Sound off Lake Georgetown guys. Who is in the stand? We have a cold front, no rain, and no marathons. Should be productive. Good luck.

Comment

Here

Comment

Finally using something that will let me post stuff right. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349526299.306939.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	24125060

Comment

Nice setup.

Comment

Glen is correct. All that stuff is not 100% but I did read that to help mask your scent is coon pee and it was very affective. The study was done with most of the major scent killer products and some cover scents with a drug dog. They set up a course and within 10 seconds the dog found the target. But what was found that worked and delayed the dog was coon pee. It delayed it by 30 seconds. I know that doesn't seem a lot but any deer can step out in 30 sec a shot can be drawn on it. Any delay on the deer picking you off is an advantage. I did buy some coon pee at wallyworld for like $4.00. Don't spray on yourself because that stuff is strong and dumb but I spray the sole of my boots and things around me.

Good luck!!

Comment

Like most said, you can spend a fortune and still get busted. Best thing you can do is hunt the wind, use a scent killer on clothing, wear rubber boots, and I like to add a scent wafer.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunte...=PPC%3Bpod4038

And know your wind direction. I bought a bottle of unscented power

Comment

Originally posted by chrisgunguy View Post
                        Sound off Lake Georgetown guys. Who is in the stand? We have a cold front, no rain, and no marathons. Should be productive. Good luck.
                        Tiffany and I were out last night and this morning. Nothing yet. Have to check her feeder. Went off fine this morning, but last night it ran for maybe a half second. Good luck today.

Comment

Much better than the coon pee or any other cover scent is skunk scent. Paul was carrying the 2 part kind at Double G. Neither part has any odor until you combine them and then it's pure skunk scent.

I hunt in the evenings after work. I don't get to shower or change clothes before I go, I just go and I have all the smells on me associated with welding stuff. I have been using this skunk scent for close to 40 years, ever since Tex Isbell invented it with unbelievable results. Bob Ramsey, the YO guide who brought horn rattling to the modern world, is the one who told me about using it. It was all he would use. You guys should really try it. And no, I don't get any cut from them.

Comment

The question was how to be avoided from downwind detection. I agree coon **** is good and the skunk stuff sounds good too because I don't always have the luxury of cleaning up before I go either, so ill definitely check that out. I like the field spray too, I spray my armpits and stuff like mentioned above too.

Obviously the best way would be to move when the wind direction changes, but I find that usually isn't realistic unless you don't have a blind setup. Still if your just crouching in the woods and are real mobile a lot of time you don't want to move if the wind changes direction during prime time. That could be just as bad as them picking up your scent.

I've hunted quite a few times right upwind of deer and used my scent masking methods and never had them pick me up. Just last year I wasn't even in a blind or treestand, was just hiding behind a big tree trunk about 30 yds upwind of a whole herd and was able to sneak around and shoot one without them smelling me.

Comment

Sitting in make shift ground blind. Squirrel above my head in tree upset. Lol.

Got here late. Dang it's a walk in.

Forgot all kinds of stuff. But glad to be out. First deer hunt this year

Comment

good luck

Comment

Working...
                                X