No announcement yet.

Official Lake Georgetown Public Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so as far as #4, i had the same issue a few years back with a guy that wanted to (quote) supposedly train his bird dogs....well after getting him on 2 different trail cameras NOT on the Designated trail i sent both to Lake Ranger and they took care of it. And for the record they can be charged with felony trespass on government property and interfering in government sanction hunting. That is if it gets bad, i always like to put a trial camera on my trial to catch PPL just checkn it out, then if something comes up arry in the area i have YOU on camera for ID...JMO

Comment

I let the office know including his license plate. Larry talked to him and the guy made Larry so mad, he wanted to not deal with anyone. We shall see what comes from this. I thought hunter harassment was a federal felony.

Comment

Thanks doeboy! Not sure what that guys problem is.

Comment

My kids go all through there from Russell to Walnut so I imagine they are on some trail cams. The deer are very familiar with people out there. My kids geocache out there and many are off the trails. Y'all should check the GPS cords and see if your set up by any if you are getting lots of traffic. There are about 50 out there. I was hoping someone had pics up of something nice by now. Only 1 good deer around the house and haven't made my mind up if I'm gonna let 1 of the kids stick him this year

Comment

My kids go all through there from Russell to Walnut so I imagine they are on some trail cams. The deer are very familiar with people out there. My kids geocache out there and many are off the trails. Y'all should check the GPS cords and see if your set up by any if you are getting lots of traffic. There are about 50 out there. I was hoping someone had pics up of something nice by now. Only 1 good deer around the house and haven't made my mind up if I'm gonna let 1 of the kids stick him this year
            That's fine and all...but park rules say stay on trails during hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
              During hunting season the kids need to stay on the trails. Geocashing is fun but follow the park rules please. We have put a lot of time in getting set up, scouting, everything else that is involved.

I hope the kids get to shoot a deer this year on your 10 acres around your house.

Comment

If you are having issues with hunter harrasment, you probabally need to get into contact with Turk Jones. He's the Williamson county game warden. His number is 254-534-4212. He is better suited to deal with this than one of the rangers.

Comment

Its not against the law to leave a trail on Corps property at any time. Before I moved out here I contacted the Legal Dept in Wash DC and they said it is suggested but public use.. My kids are very educated on hunting and if they see a setup they wouldnt go near it. They cut through there to go fish mostly but do take a gps and the dogs sometimes. I agree if you are having the same person walk through I would contact Turk. He may not be able to have the person prosecuted but I would imagine he could have a heart to heart and get them to understand.
                  I bird and duck hunt public land myself. Dealing with the public is just one of those things that go with the territory. I figure everyone has the right to use it for recreation as they see fit. It is tough to remember that sometimes when I get up at 0300 hrs and spread 100 decoys and about 15 minutes after sunrise I have folks drifting for redfish less than 100 yards away.
                  Can yall shoot bucks over off DB Wood? I drive thru about 0500 every morning and there has been a solid ten that has been there about 2 times a week. He is about the best deer I have seen in this area. Would love to see one of yall take him- he will push 140.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                    Its not against the law to leave a trail on Corps property at any time. Before I moved out here I contacted the Legal Dept in Wash DC and they said it is suggested but public use.. My kids are very educated on hunting and if they see a setup they wouldnt go near it. They cut through there to go fish mostly but do take a gps and the dogs sometimes. I agree if you are having the same person walk through I would contact Turk. He may not be able to have the person prosecuted but I would imagine he could have a heart to heart and get them to understand.
                    I bird and duck hunt public land myself. Dealing with the public is just one of those things that go with the territory. I figure everyone has the right to use it for recreation as they see fit. It is tough to remember that sometimes when I get up at 0300 hrs and spread 100 decoys and about 15 minutes after sunrise I have folks drifting for redfish less than 100 yards away.
                    Can yall shoot bucks over off DB Wood? I drive thru about 0500 every morning and there has been a solid ten that has been there about 2 times a week. He is about the best deer I have seen in this area. Would love to see one of yall take him- he will push 140.
                    Those compartments off DB Wood are doe/spike only. Funny thing is, I have only bucks coming to my feeder (2- spikes, 1-barely 4pt, 1-6 pt and 1-near legal 8 pt). Mostly small stuff, but if they think they have a ratio problem, they need to do another survey. I bet there are several good bucks in there. My budy has a trail cam pic from a few weeks before season; could be your buck.

Comment

Meat I agree with you- I see more bucks in that area than anywhere else- Ill carry a camera with me to work and try getting a shot of him in the next few weeks. I stop and watch him when he is out. I had him at about 138 inches but Im not the best- I sat with pencil and paper and binos on him for about 5 minutes. Most of the deer are not moving much with all the rain and acorns- you guys stick it out and hunt hard in December and things will have changed.

Comment

I went out Monday night and all day Tuesday. I think I might have heard your #4 guy out. I did hear someone with dogs. I am pretty far away from the main spots, but I guess not far enough. I heard a couple feeders going off Monday night and found them Tuesday during lunch and marked the spots on my GPS so I could steer clear of them on my way in/out of my spot.

I didn't see anything either day. I did see some big tracks when I was scouting a bit during lunch on Tuesday close to my area. I saw a spike on the way into the Cedar Breaks Park Tuesday morning around 6 AM as I was going to launch my boat.

I got to the park at about 6:05 AM and there was nobody in the booth, but the gate was open. I have an annual pass so I just drove in and launched my boat. I was under the impression the ramp didn't open till 6 AM, so I guess that gate auto-opens then. Does anyone know for sure? I would love to get there earlier, the sun was just starting to come up by the time I got to my spot since I had to wait on the ramp to open.

Comment

They open gate at 6. Open booth 7 or after breakfast. If anyone is looking or struggling I'd be happy to show you a spot. You gotta walk in a little while 30 minutes. I'll even take your setup over by boat for a 6 pack of Shiner. As far as my kids. When you were 12 and had a lake and woods in the backyard would you just go hike the same trail? These deer could care less and have adapted to traffic. Most deer I bust up only run about 40 yards
                          Last edited by glen; 10-04-2012, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Well does anybody know how many deer have been taken? Doe count, buck count?

Comment

I spoke with Stacy today. She said she only knew of 4 does being taken. Hopefully that will change in the morning!

Comment

i hope to be out every hunt this weekend, sat night and sunday morning will probly be the best. Good luck to all the hunters

Comment

Working...
                                X