No announcement yet.

Official Lake Georgetown Public Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good luck guys. My spot my last year is open if anyone has a boat..or if they care to hike 2 miles.

Just took my stuff off from last year now that the water came up. Trails and deer all around my stand.. Like usual when you can not shoot them they are all over the place.

Comment

Dropped my app yesterday and I was number 50

Comment

Originally posted by vach03 View Post
        Dropped my app yesterday and I was number 50
        I wonder is that overall or that week or what. I went two or three weeks ago and I was 44.

This is my first try at this. Guess we'll see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by centexhunter01 View Post
          I wonder is that overall or that week or what. I went two or three weeks ago and I was 44.

This is my first try at this. Guess we'll see what happens.
          That's overall. I went early this week and was #48. I think a lot of guys wait until close to the last minute.

Comment

Does anyone know how many people usualy sign up?

Comment

I believe last year was like 120 people for 70 spots.

Comment

I was planning on trying this out this year. Do you have to have a boat?
                Why do people say they have been feeding deer all year i thought baiting is illegal or do they mean on their private property?

I usually hunt in Angelina National Forest with a climbable tree stand.
                Can I use a tree stands here?

I plan on going scouting out there, but was hoping to find a place a half mile off the road.

In Angelina I mostly look for oak trees or berry bushes with lots of trails running by them, is it about the same here or do they eat on different stuff?

Thanks for any information,
                Charles

Comment

Do you have to have a boat?
                  Why do people say they have been feeding deer all year i thought baiting is illegal or do they mean on their private property?
                  You don't need a boat, but it helps if you don't mind walking.
                  Baiting is allowed.
                  Can I use a tree stands here?
                  You can use treestands, tripod stands, popups, whatever. Not many trees suitable for climbers in the area.

I wouldn't leave anything out there that would break your heart to see stolen.

I plan on going scouting out there, but was hoping to find a place a half mile off the road.
                  Areas close to the regular access points fill up fast and get crowded. I like to walk a good way in to avoid the crowds. The area remains open to hikers, bikers, joggers, bird watchers, dog walkers, scout campouts, etc. during hunting season, so expect some company.

In Angelina I mostly look for oak trees or berry bushes with lots of trails running by them, is it about the same here or do they eat on different stuff?
                  Probably about the same. There are a lot of feeders in the area. I wouldn't rely on a feeder to draw deer to an area they would not otherwise go.

You'll get what you put into it out there. There are a lot of deer, and a few really nice ones. They get a lot of hunting pressure from the neighboring landowners and from guys hunting the lake.

If you go out expecting to put some work into it and looking to fill the freezer, you probably won't be disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by TXJon View Post

If you go out expecting to put some work into it and looking to fill the freezer, you probably won't be disappointed.

Just seems so foreign to me to use bait on public land.
                    I almost never see anyone at Angelina, granted its way bigger.

Is there a common way you guys know if other people are in the area?
                    Or common polite interactions with other hunters? I definatly don't want to step on some other hunters toes or be in his 'area'.

It's making me a little nervous to be honest

I hope I won't end up setting up close to someone else
                    --I tend to get to my hunting spot, very early.

I guess i need to check in area around where i'm going to hunt and make sure no feeders are setup I'm assuming guys will get angry if i hunt near their setup 'spots'. Now i'm a bit nervous I'll miss one and end up hunting by someones stuff and get accused of hunting their spot.

What do I do if I scout out a spot that I like, then the week before the season opens someone puts feeders in that area? Seems almost like people can claim spots with gear... defiantly different!

Comment

Is there a common way you guys know if other people are in the area?
                      Or common polite interactions with other hunters? I definatly don't want to step on some other hunters toes or be in his 'area'.
                      If they do what they did last year, they will require you to submit the GPS coordinates of your stand. If you are too close to someone else, you will be required to move. First come first served. I don't remember the minimum distance, but I think it was at least 100 yds.
                      What do I do if I scout out a spot that I like, then the week before the season opens someone puts feeders in that area? Seems almost like people can claim spots with gear... defiantly different!
                      Scout early. If you get drawn you can put your stuff out immediately following the orientation meeting in mid-August. You get your stuff in there and your coordinates into the office and it's your spot.

I don't bother with a feeder, personally. I find an area that seems to hold deer and bring in some hand corn. I'd rather hunt a few miles in and have some quiet, and there's no way I am bringing a feeder and 300lbs of corn in that far on foot.

I've never killed a wall hanger out there, but I have gotten a few to fill the freezer every year.

Comment

Thanks for the information TXJon

Comment

I put in last week and I was number 67.

Comment

With the expected high heat this year in Oct what strategy do you guys use to get your meat on ice as soon as possible? Do you quarter at the road and ice directly?

Do you keep a hauler at your truck?

I've always wondered what kind of timer I have on getting the meat on ice before it can spoil, anyone have any tips/advice?

Thanks.

Comment

correct on the GPS and the 100 yards.

Falling, there are some nice bucks out there, i had a group coming into my area and hunted a 9 pointer than never gave me a shot. i do have some good footage of other smaller deer that i passed on while eating at my feeder. i learned alot from this past season, and i agree on the hand corn.

check out a thread showing some bucks from last year,

I may put in my app to see if that 9 pointer is still around.

Comment

hand corn works...i used one of those cheap 5gal. bucket feeders and hung it in a tree. seemed to work pretty good.

regarding high temps and meat...found this guy - Cole Stevens - who just opened this place last year:

Cole Stevens, Hunters Creek Process is the Hill Country premiere wild game processer in the Austin, Texas area

really close to the lake - over on 183 prolly 5-ish miles north of 29. If you call him, he'll give you the combo to the lock on his drop-off cooler outside.

makes pretty good sausage too.

Comment

Working...
                                X