X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baby bump

Comment

Fire - west lake georgetown

Anybody know the effects of the fire on the hunting area? I’ve seen a number of reports, but trying to understand what this means for us hunters as this may in fact squeeze us on top of each other. Last I saw, most of the general hunting area was fried, don’t know how far to the East it came into other hunting sections.

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ScottyBTX View Post
          What’s up fellas?

This is my first time hunting Lake Georgetown and only second time hunting public land. Hunted Laguna Atascosa a couple years ago for Nilgai. I’m a native Austinite. My family and I moved out to Georgetown in 2019. I’ve hunted some in Central Texas but not much. Been on a lease out in West Texas near Ozona since I was 15. I do majority of my hunting there. My wife and I are expecting a little girl in November so this is a blessing. I thought majority of my hunting season was shot. Looking forward to getting out a bunch and being close to home.

That being said I’ve read through a ton of the post to inform myself as much as possible. I still have a few questions. Also any advice would be greatly appreciated.

1. Access? I read that we could only park in designated parking areas. Is that true? I also read a post saying people park on the side of the road and hop the fence.

2. General hunting area vs bow hunting only area? I know there is small game hunters. Anybody that’s hunted the general hunting area have many interactions with the small game hunters?

3. Hunters vs General public? Most of the trails I’ve been on have a ton of hikers, bikers, etc. Any negative interactions while in camo with a bow or dragging a dear down the trail?

4. General courtesy? Obviously trying to avoid peoples hunting spots. I’m sure like most I’d like to be away from any other hunters but I’m sure it’s inevitable some of us we’ll bump into each other. Any rules of thumb?

Appreciate any help! And maybe meeting some of y’all
          1. access can be tough. you can park off DB woods after you get your permit/parking pass, park in the park areas then hoof it to your spot, some guys boat to spots or you can try to make nice with a boarder resident and park at a house.

2. I've always hunted archery only so no input from me here

3. Its a mixed bag, had my fair share of good and bad interactions, have also had one blind destroyed. My advice is hide a 2nd camera so at least maybe you can give the cops pictures. My recommendation is to pick a spot that can't be seen from the trail. Its inevitable that someone will stumble across your spot but try not to make it to public.

4. lake rules require a minimum of 100 yards, I try to stay as far away as possible, in the event you want to set up near someone, do your best to meet them and try to work out some ground rules, I hunted for several years then was unlucky in the draw, this is my first year in the last 5 but overall most of the guys are pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by dback1101 View Post
            Anybody know the effects of the fire on the hunting area? I’ve seen a number of reports, but trying to understand what this means for us hunters as this may in fact squeeze us on top of each other. Last I saw, most of the general hunting area was fried, don’t know how far to the East it came into other hunting sections.
            Looking at this pic posted online it doesn't look like a lot of "hunting area" was affected.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Comment

On the 20th, is it just a mad dash to "claim" spots? Also are there any areas that I should straight up avoid due to nonhunter traffic? The area near Tejas Park was pretty busy when I was there and I imagine it's worse when the weather cools off.

Comment

Originally posted by LawSchoolFool View Post
                On the 20th, is it just a mad dash to "claim" spots?
                You cannot claim a spot until after orientation. With that said, did I mis an email where they said that orientation is on the 20th?

Comment

Originally posted by e1harris View Post
                  You cannot claim a spot until after orientation. With that said, did I mis an email where they said that orientation is on the 20th?
                  Thus is from the lake website

Orientation:

Date of the orientation will be August 20th, 2022 at 10:00 AM, further information will be provided to those hunters successful in drawing. All hunters will be required to sign the Lake Georgetown 2022-2023 hunting Policy Form to verify that they have reviewed the orientation and hunting policies during the mandatory orientation. Hunters will be expected to know and follow all rules and restrictions listed on these documents.

Comment

Another fire has popped up on the west side of the lake. It is smaller than the previous fire and I am sure the troops will get this one put out quickly. We do have a little breeze blowing though. Good luck to all who were drawn this year.

Comment

You won't be the only new guy. Got drawn so this'll be my first time hunting Central Texas. If anybody has any tips or recommendations for Lake Georgetown, I'm all ears.
                      Just find sign it has a good population of deer around the whole lake In my opinion and you get to use a feeder start feeding early as possible

Sent from my motorola one 5G ace using Tapatalk

Comment

All around Tejas Park is crawling with dove hunters. Everything that you see on your scouting cams will be gone once dove season opens up. Just sharing my personal experience.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Qualified at Double G tonight. 144/150 and cost myself an arrow on my last shot.

Comment

Coming back with a vengeance!! Good to
                            See you homie . Good luck this season
                            Last edited by Maui-diver; 08-11-2022, 08:48 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Originally posted by stringstalker84 View Post
                              Qualified at Double G tonight. 144/150 and cost myself an arrow on my last shot.

I like that setup better than Archery Country. They just have a poster of a deer but it's so shot up you can barely tell where the vitals are supposed to be.

Comment

I like that setup better than Archery Country. They just have a poster of a deer but it's so shot up you can barely tell where the vitals are supposed to be.
                                They actually have 5 different targets from 10yards to 20.

Javelin at an angle, sheep, laying doe, and 2 standing deer. Inner 2 circles are 10 points, the rest of the vital area is 8 and anywhere else on the target is 5.

I maybe bias because the shop is 5 min from my house but I love double G, great shop.

Comment

Working...
                                X