No announcement yet.

Official Lake Georgetown Public Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally got one of my "target hogs" now if someone would just let the does know that deer season is still on and my corn is as good as anyone else's that would be great. Nothing but bucks at my spot...

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf View Post
      Finally got one of my "target hogs" now if someone would just let the does know that deer season is still on and my corn is as good as anyone else's that would be great. Nothing but bucks at my spot...

Congrats on the pig.

Comment

Got it done this morning. Public land archery buck. I doubled up and got my two doe about a month ago but since then tagging a buck has been a roller coaster.

I've hit a buck in the shoulder, missed one, experienced a bunch of doubt, and a bit of target panic as I kept putting more pressure on myself (sound familiar?). Friends and family kept me encouraged and I vowed not to quit so I kept grinding hunt after hunt.

We had a baseball tournament this weekend and got smoked yesterday but because of that we didn't play until noon today. That gave me time to get a morning hunt in. At 7:15 am three doe come in to feed, they stay around for about 20 minutes. Two get a little spooky and walk off and one stayed feeding. At 7:45 am I catch movement in the corner of my eye, I slowly look to my right and see tines coming through the brush.

As the buck comes in I get ready, I steady my breathing, rehearse my shot sequence then get ready. He comes in broadside at 18 yards. I slowly draw my bow, find my spot, hold it, then slowly pull the trigger. I see blood and the buck run off about 30 yards where I see him through the brush walking away.

At that moment doubt starts to enter my head...had I hit him...I thought I saw him bleeding...maybe that was something else. About 3 minutes later I hear a long super deep moan then a wheeze like the sound of a far-off diesel truck with a turbo starting up. Then I hear it again. I think to myself "was that a death moan?!" I decided to just sit tight for at least 30 minutes after the shot. I sat for 40 minutes then head down to find my arrow. I see dark blood on my fletchings and think liver shot...I need to back out. Then I see bright red blood with bubbles on the shaft and I think lung!. I walk over to where I saw him walking.

I'm looking for blood on the way and don't see any (more doubts now, am I going to be able to find him?) but know that if I hit him, there should be blood where I saw him walking. I get to the spot, turn to my right and there he was not 35 yards from where I picked up my arrow.

2020 has been a grind and this buck represents what can happen if you just keep working hard and don't quit. It says that having good people around you matters. I'm pumped but not just for me but for everyone on Team BigLig. It's a team victory...I just pulled the trigger.

Comment

Congrats. Great public lands buck and great public lands season.

Comment

Originally posted by BigLig View Post
            Got it done this morning. Public land archery buck. I doubled up and got my two doe about a month ago but since then tagging a buck has been a roller coaster.

I've hit a buck in the shoulder, missed one, experienced a bunch of doubt, and a bit of target panic as I kept putting more pressure on myself (sound familiar?). Friends and family kept me encouraged and I vowed not to quit so I kept grinding hunt after hunt.

We had a baseball tournament this weekend and got smoked yesterday but because of that we didn't play until noon today. That gave me time to get a morning hunt in. At 7:15 am three doe come in to feed, they stay around for about 20 minutes. Two get a little spooky and walk off and one stayed feeding. At 7:45 am I catch movement in the corner of my eye, I slowly look to my right and see tines coming through the brush.

As the buck comes in I get ready, I steady my breathing, rehearse my shot sequence then get ready. He comes in broadside at 18 yards. I slowly draw my bow, find my spot, hold it, then slowly pull the trigger. I see blood and the buck run off about 30 yards where I see him through the brush walking away.

At that moment doubt starts to enter my head...had I hit him...I thought I saw him bleeding...maybe that was something else. About 3 minutes later I hear a long super deep moan then a wheeze like the sound of a far-off diesel truck with a turbo starting up. Then I hear it again. I think to myself "was that a death moan?!" I decided to just sit tight for at least 30 minutes after the shot. I sat for 40 minutes then head down to find my arrow. I see dark blood on my fletchings and think liver shot...I need to back out. Then I see bright red blood with bubbles on the shaft and I think lung!. I walk over to where I saw him walking.

I'm looking for blood on the way and don't see any (more doubts now, am I going to be able to find him?) but know that if I hit him, there should be blood where I saw him walking. I get to the spot, turn to my right and there he was not 35 yards from where I picked up my arrow.

2020 has been a grind and this buck represents what can happen if you just keep working hard and don't quit. It says that having good people around you matters. I'm pumped but not just for me but for everyone on Team BigLig. It's a team victory...I just pulled the trigger.

Way to go. I knew you’d make it happen.

Comment

Nice piggy, well done!

Comment

Originally posted by BigLig View Post
                Got it done this morning.
                Congrats on a nice buck and on getting back your confidence!

Comment

Finally got my first doe! Been a grind but hopefully I can nab my 2nd as well. Unfortunately I spined her and had to take a follow up shot. Gotta check the scope on my xbow. 57 lbs gutted and 2.5 years old.

Comment

Nice following you folks. Here near home. Maybe I will draw next year. Deaf, You got a second shot with a Xbow? Cool. I am new to Xbow 2nd year. Xbow due to shoulder but getting back to compound in case need a second shot fast, but low power so wonder about a hog at wimpy power at Granger if ever see one?

Comment

Originally posted by toomuchsun View Post
                      Nice following you folks. Here near home. Maybe I will draw next year. Deaf, You got a second shot with a Xbow? Cool. I am new to Xbow 2nd year. Xbow due to shoulder but getting back to compound in case need a second shot fast, but low power so wonder about a hog at wimpy power at Granger if ever see one?
                      First shot paralyzed her. Second one cut off the top of her heart. Sucks to see. I'd rather be using my compound but the POS has been spending more time in the shop than the field. Had to put it up for the season. Hoping it's up and running by GRXH

Comment

Finally got my first doe!
                        That's awesome, congrats!

Comment

Out for evening hunt.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Does anybody see deer? It has gone from little activity to virtually zero for my spot.

Comment

Just a quick question for those that hunt Lake Georgetown. Is there any access off of Jim Hogg Rd. to hunt? I ask because I live off of there and if I could find a spot to hunt Lake Georgetown where I could walk in from my neighborhood it would kind of be ideal.

Comment

Originally posted by DanGilbertTX View Post
                                Just a quick question for those that hunt Lake Georgetown. Is there any access off of Jim Hogg Rd. to hunt? I ask because I live off of there and if I could find a spot to hunt Lake Georgetown where I could walk in from my neighborhood it would kind of be ideal.

There is, but you have to get drawn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X