Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Official Lake Georgetown Public Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spikes are OK but just so you know you’re burning buck tags!

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf View Post
      Are spikes cool to shoot before the does?
      Yes, but just one per hunter.

Comment

The tall spike is one I got out there a few years ago on the evening of last day.. just dug it up out of the yard

Sent from my SM-A115AZ using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Danimal14 View Post
          The tall spike is one I got out there a few years ago on the evening of last day.. just dug it up out of the yard

Sent from my SM-A115AZ using Tapatalk

In an Australian accent “That’s not a spike. This is a spike!

Comment

Originally posted by HogStalker View Post
            In an Australian accent “That’s not a spike. This is a spike!

Spoik

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Comment

I guess he's tired of eating all my corn.

Comment

Heading out for evening hunt

Comment

I missed two shooters again this morning. Every time I don’t go they show. I think they have me patterned, lol. Heading out in the am tomorrow before work. Hopefully they come back.
                  Last edited by HogStalker; 11-16-2020, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Got my first doe yesterday evening, she measured 3.5 years old at 58 lbs.

I set in my blind at 3:15pm and was not expecting to see any deer for at least an hour. So I was checking my phone and eating deer jerky, not being very stealthy. Literally, 15 minutes later she pops up from around a corner looking straight at me. I froze including chewing and prayed that she doesn't bust me, she didn't and started eating.

She was no more than 10 yards from me, so when I started to set up for a shot, she heard me and jumped toward a tree line, then stopped, looking directly at me. I knew I had only few seconds before she's gone. So I had to rush a shot from a really awkward position and gut shot her.

I didn't know if I would recover her, but thanks to my mechanical broadhead that I absolutely love, she dropped within 60 yards. That thing devastated her internals and she bled out quickly.

Now I need one more, and I'm in the buck city.
                    Last edited by verter; 11-17-2020, 09:08 AM.

Comment

After seemingly being patterned by all the bucks in the area, I decided to take a shot this morning before work. The recent cold front had everything up and feeding last night. I snuck in at about 5:45 and sat patiently for first light. A mature doe snuck in from my right and started to feed. She kept looking back we’re she came and seemed interested in something. She made a low bleat and along came her yearling fawn. I thought to myself, great start to the day. A couple of minutes later she made her way to a tree line about 50 yards away and out popped a small buck. They all made there way back to my feeding spot and proceeded to eat. Moments later the 10 point that I have been seeing quite regularly came out. He came in and checked the doe then came over to feed. He was perfectly quartering away at 25 yards. I clicked the safety off on my crossbow and put the dot right behind his right shoulder. Let the Ravin fly and connected perfectly. He mule kicked and started to run directly away from me only to fall about 5 yards from where he stood. Got back up and made it to the tree line where I heard him crash. I immediately texted my wife and told her I had a buck down. While I’m busy texting back and forth, the other buck and doe come right back to the feed sight. I try to video tape them and end up scaring them off. I go to where I shot the buck and don’t see any blood. At first I was a bit scared. Knowing it was a good shot, I proceeded to check the wood line and he was right inside it under a tree. The bolt had entered in the bottom of the right shoulder, straight through his heart and out the other shoulder. Field dressing was bloodless until I got into the front section and it was nothing but jello. I am really thrilled to have taken my quota at a new public land spot and look forward to hunting there again next year. He’s not the biggest buck in the woods, but any public land buck is a trophy. He measured out at 13 1/4 wide, 10 points, 4.5 years old, 102lbs. Till next time Georgetown. Maybe I’ll take another doe later in the season if my other places don’t bare fruit.

Last edited by HogStalker; 11-17-2020, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Congrats on a great buck Hog, and good work verter onbypir first doe

Comment

Originally posted by Maui-diver View Post
                          Congrats on a great buck Hog, and good work verter onbypir first doe

Thanks you. Good luck on your quest.

Comment

Good work guts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats on your trophy buck, well done!

Comment

Originally posted by verter View Post
                                Congrats on your trophy buck, well done!

Thanks, now kill that big boy you’ve had at your feeder.

Comment

Working...
                                X