No announcement yet.

Official Lake Georgetown Public Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You guys are gonna have some more challenges this year. Id find the most remote place you can or you are going to be mad often. Look for somewhere you have to crawl in to get there. I have never seen more bicycle, hikers, and folks out on the trails. With COVID and everything closed it is a madhouse. And it is looking more like no college football which usually takes some folks out of the picture. I would guess at least 3 times more traffic out there than usual. I could usually walk from Russell to primitive camp during week and never see a soul. I had at least 5 groups headed to the parking lot before I reached the lake. I turned around at the lake and had 3 groups headed in on my tail.

Comment

Purchase some signs that read "Mountain Lion seen in area, proceed at your own risk" and place along trail... Or animals in this area have tested positive for Covid-20, a mutated strain. Return to your cars.

Comment

Official Lake Georgetown Public Hunting Thread

Originally posted by glen View Post
        You guys are gonna have some more challenges this year. Id find the most remote place you can or you are going to be mad often. Look for somewhere you have to crawl in to get there. I have never seen more bicycle, hikers, and folks out on the trails. With COVID and everything closed it is a madhouse. And it is looking more like no college football which usually takes some folks out of the picture. I would guess at least 3 times more traffic out there than usual. I could usually walk from Russell to primitive camp during week and never see a soul. I had at least 5 groups headed to the parking lot before I reached the lake. I turned around at the lake and had 3 groups headed in on my tail.

Where’s the primitive camp on gtown?

Comment

Nope- right thread- you guys are going to have to find places that is uncomfortable for the public to get. I have lived on the Lake for 7 years- go to the trail at Russel Park several times a week. Usually I alone. Now I will see anywhere from 3 to 10 groups on the trail when I'm taking my walk. Walk down to the primitive camp by the river mouth and there are usually several groups on the picnic tables. Until this year I had only seen two groups there total. There are a lot of people on Lake Georgetown now. They have to close the boat ramps on weekends because at capacity. If your gonna hunt out there you better find someplace people have a hard time getting to.

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
            Purchase some signs that read "Mountain Lion seen in area, proceed at your own risk" and place along trail... Or animals in this area have tested positive for Covid-20, a mutated strain. Return to your cars.

That’s a good idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Paul sold a couple years ago

Comment

Originally posted by doeboy11 View Post
                Paul sold a couple years ago
                New owner is also named Paul if talking about Double G. Super nice fella

Comment

It’s at the beginning of the river channel on the North side of lake. By boat when you get to the trees turn north. By foot start at Russell and head west

Comment

Can anyone share a link to last year's hunting map?

Comment

HogStalker. I knew it would probably have a name so I looked it up. It is called Sawyer Park/Campground. Would be a great place to spend a few days but I would go during week if you could

Comment

HogStalker. I knew it would probably have a name so I looked it up. It is called Sawyer Park/Campground. Would be a great place to spend a few days but I would go during week if you could

Thanks Glen, replied to your pm.

Comment

I found the map.

Comment

Nope- right thread- you guys are going to have to find places that is uncomfortable for the public to get. I have lived on the Lake for 7 years- go to the trail at Russel Park several times a week. Usually I alone. Now I will see anywhere from 3 to 10 groups on the trail when I'm taking my walk. Walk down to the primitive camp by the river mouth and there are usually several groups on the picnic tables. Until this year I had only seen two groups there total. There are a lot of people on Lake Georgetown now. They have to close the boat ramps on weekends because at capacity. If your gonna hunt out there you better find someplace people have a hard time getting to.
                            Glen, I agree with you on that. I'd say the past 2 years or so, things have changed out there. With the influx of people migrating to Georgetown from out west (i.e.- California), not only are there a metric ton more people out on the trails, but people that seem to be against hunting in general. I had people sabotage my spot, steal chairs (multiple times) out of my ground blind, take my game camera down and put it inside blind, and walk by on just about every sit (week days and weekends). I found out way too much about people (loud conversations about personal health issues). It was a weird season and left a bad taste in my mouth, but I live within walking distance to my spot, so that's been the real draw, but it's a different type of public land hunt for sure. Good luck to those that get drawn. It's a great opportunity to get out in the woods, regardless if you are successful or not.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Unsure how it is set up today but used to walk in when just filled out a day permit and dropped in the box. My injury was 1993 when I stopped bow hunting. There was an incredible number of people back than moving around but still saw plenty of nice deer. I am able again so relearning my old grounds and people traffic if I get drawn. My shoulder sort of works and practicing. I used to canoe in and camp wherever. Some of my best deer were close to parking areas! Go figure. Saw some true awesome animals. Never harvested a bragger.

Comment

Tomorrow’s the draw. Good luck everyone! [emoji1696]

Comment

Working...
                                X