No announcement yet.

Official Lake Georgetown Public Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bryan's boss let him take a early-long lunch so that he could make the meeting Saturday after he was locked out of the first one for being 7 minutes late.

I went out to 6a and 6b Sunday morning and found 3 really good looking places, but unfortunately someone else had beat me to them. I found some other areas that look ok. I did hear some deer but to thick to see them.

The heat did get me, so next trip lots of water and be gone by 10 instead of 11:30. The heat off the rock and no wind is killer.

Lesson learned.

Comment

I am going to ask the rangers about the trails that lead down to the main trail from the gate at 6b. There not on the hand out as hiking trails, so does the 300ft rule apply to them?

Comment

i would say that is a main trail because people use that to go in and out from the gate there, which is a shame i saw 4 nice 8 pointers, the day of the orientation, they were running from the lake to the adjoning property. the dog of some hiker was chasing them. i scouted that area earlier but theres too much traffic with hikers and bikers, it just wouldnt be safe. and annoying with pets being lose.

Comment

Originally posted by viper3853 View Post
          i would say that is a main trail because people use that to go in and out from the gate there, which is a shame i saw 4 nice 8 pointers, the day of the orientation, they were running from the lake to the adjoning property. the dog of some hiker was chasing them. i scouted that area earlier but theres too much traffic with hikers and bikers, it just wouldnt be safe. and annoying with pets being lose.
          Thanks Viper for the heads up

Comment

Originally posted by 05 gray ghost View Post
            I am going to ask the rangers about the trails that lead down to the main trail from the gate at 6b. There not on the hand out as hiking trails, so does the 300ft rule apply to them?
            The 300' rule only applies to designated hiking trails, but from experience, I wouldn't set up anywhere near an area where it even looks like someone has been hiking or mountain biking. If you do, don't be suprised if something goes missing.

Comment

Anybody knows who's feeder this is? Found two of them with the same initials.

Last edited by swampdonkey; 08-29-2011, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Please do not shoot spikes opening weekend/week. Please wait for a shooter before you waste one of the few MLD buck tags.

Comment

Thanks Viper for the heads up
                  I will be heading deeper in I guess.

Those wire basket feeders look like what we used before the spin type came out.

Comment

nice feeder with the wire, but is there a motor or does it fall though the wire?? intresting design, i bet it doesnt wiegh anythign at all.

Comment

Originally posted by swampdonkey View Post
                      Please do not shoot spikes opening weekend/week. Please wait for a shooter before you waste one of the few MLD buck tags.

x2 i got a few nice bucks hangng around my area that i would like to put an arrow though. i find it funny people wanna waste a buck tag on spikes, might as well shoot a doe.

any word on the exact number of buck tags yet?

Comment

Originally posted by viper3853 View Post
                        nice feeder with the wire, but is there a motor or does it fall though the wire?? intresting design, i bet it doesnt wiegh anythign at all.
                        The deer bump the feeder with their head or kick it and the corn drops to the ground.

Comment

i dont like my deer to worry about working for food, i d rather just make it rain corn on them. lol

Comment

I will be heading deeper in I guess.

Those wire basket feeders look like what we used before the spin type came out.
                            To be honest, I have come across several feeders in 6b, 11, and 7a. Make sure you scout the area before you walk in and setup your feeder. I have already run into that problem a couple of times while helping my brother and sister setup their feeders. Looks like most of the other hunters try to hide their feeders so that no one messes with them. Would suck to later find out you gotta move it.

Comment

Originally posted by swampdonkey View Post
                              To be honest, I have come across several feeders in 6b, 11, and 7a. Make sure you scout the area before you walk in and setup your feeder. I have already run into that problem a couple of times while helping my brother and sister setup their feeders. Looks like most of the other hunters try to hide their feeders so that no one messes with them. Would suck to later find out you gotta move it.
                              On Sunday when I thought I found a great spot, I would look around and 4 times I found a brush blind. I marked them on my GPS and when I found the next spot I would check to make sure I was far enough away. 6b and 6a have quite a few stands and feed blocks.

Comment

Ha, good pictures, viper3853. they made my heart pumping hard.

Most are Raccoon and birds coming to my feeder during this time. Deer randomly comes to my setup in early season, need about 1 month to get their pattern setting up. But, hope they get used to my feeder earlier due to lacking of food this year.

Btw, I have a question regarding the set up by brush or natural trees. Normally, if people do not leave their tag on them, does 300' rule still apply?

Comment

Working...
                                X