No announcement yet.

Official Lake Georgetown Public Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pack in 50 lb bags every other time on my Kifaru pack. Cake!! I got a 1.3 mile hike that takes about the same time as you.

Comment

I use a backpack with similar design and it works well. I also take a bag of corn with me when I hunt to save a separate trip.

Comment

i chose a closer spot this year, last year had a 1.5 mile hike. thankfully i had a friend hunting nearby and we helped each other. my feeder holds 3 50lb bags. apparently the deer are going after it more and more. and eat up my blocks super fast. 33 lb berry block lasted 3 days according to the pictures. cheap at 10 bucks a block but geesh. need at least a couple weeks out of it lol

Comment

I'm feelin it!!! big and J out and berry. Double trouble!!

Comment

Classic! Had 4 does in front of me...waited about 20 minutes for them to chill and give me a good shot and let my heart rate drop. Ha! So when I had a shot on the one shooter of the group, 2 dogs ran up on them and chased them off. I was like!!! ***??? I laughed it was so crazy!! They came back but was already to late and dark!! Lol! Finally had my moment, and dogs!! Haha!

Comment

Bummer man.

Comment

Man, I'm getting bored reading about myself, so sorry guys. Just finished my last hunt before vacation. Had the same 4 does come up to within 6yrds of me and didn't even get busted. Was a heart racing blast. I'm still pretty new at aging 2+ ur old deer, but was pretty sure these were not. One possibility, maybe 50-60 pounds, but the others look to be yearlings. I don't want to "hope" they are 2yr old deer when I shoot. Gotta make it count. What's your guys best way to determine a 2yr old? I recall a couple guys who punched their tag here and the deer was only 50-60 lbs? I stopped looking through my binos, and it made me want to shoot. They looked like elk!! Ha! Anyhow, it was a blast getting that close to them for an hour. They were staring right at me. I would close my eyes when they were and squint until they began to eat corn again. See y'all soon. Good luck to yall

Comment

Originally posted by Maui-diver View Post
                  Man, I'm getting bored reading about myself, so sorry guys. Just finished my last hunt before vacation. Had the same 4 does come up to within 6yrds of me and didn't even get busted. Was a heart racing blast. I'm still pretty new at aging 2+ ur old deer, but was pretty sure these were not. One possibility, maybe 50-60 pounds, but the others look to be yearlings. I don't want to "hope" they are 2yr old deer when I shoot. Gotta make it count. What's your guys best way to determine a 2yr old? I recall a couple guys who punched their tag here and the deer was only 50-60 lbs? I stopped looking through my binos, and it made me want to shoot. They looked like elk!! Ha! Anyhow, it was a blast getting that close to them for an hour. They were staring right at me. I would close my eyes when they were and squint until they began to eat corn again. See y'all soon. Good luck to yall
                  I don't know, but maybe take out the one that looks the biggest. Possible a sagging belly?

I got two more bags of corn to put out and I've still not recovered from Sunday.

How long before your vacation?

Comment

Size may fool you sometimes. This year, one girl shot a "small" deer at Pedernals Falls SP during the draw hunt. It is very small, kind of 50ish lbs or less. Most people thought it was a fawn. A biologist of TX wildlife department checked and confirmed that the deer was 4.5 years. Surprising...

Comment

The one I shot opening morning weighed 65 pounds field dressed and aged 3.5 years. She was darker in color with a little grey under the chin. I have seen several on camera much bigger but lighter in color and younger looking.

Comment

Double post

Comment

Interesting,,,Thanks all. Heading out in morning. Y'all be safe

Comment

Good luck Maui-Diver

Comment

Maui just take out the biggest one. Size can be hard to tell against age on does. Mine was about 60 lbs FD. My dogs weight more than that so it can be hard judge. If you see one that is kind of greying in the face that's a pretty good give away. But one that you don't think will make it may surprise you. Also this is a population reduction plan so even if you take one out that's not the 3.5 yr mark your still doing the two things you set out to do. Put meat in the freezer and reduce the population. You just can't shoot any multipoint horns and you aren't set for next year. Still let the yearlings walk but take you out some of the big does and spikes you have coming in.

Comment

Again nothing but night time deer.

Comment

Working...
                                X