Official Lake Georgetown Public Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jkj1986 View Post
    Do you put game cams out when you scout or is that a no no?
    No no...nothing can go up until after your permit is issued at orientation

Comment

Originally posted by stringstalker84 View Post
      Good to know thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by stringstalker84 View Post
        Well technically there is no rule saying you could not put out a camera for scouting its public land and anyone can access to use for outdoor activities. But that being said it is summer time and more people are using the same trails and areas we will be hunting so greater risk of vandals (board kids) or it walking away. And of course investing that kind of time and effort and not end up getting that spot to hunt after someone beats you to it the day of orientation then your back to square 1. So at this time its just better to scout looking for good sign to find an area you want to TRY to get to hunt. Find a couple of spots so you have a plan A, B, and C

You will find tons of spots that look really good to hunt and then you start to look closer and start to realize someone hunted that same spot already ( cut limbs for shooting lanes, piles of brush) that is a good indicator you might not get that spot since you dont know if they are coming back so its a 50/50 then you dont know if anyone else new has also scout that same spot and wants to try for it. I really wish they would plot all the spots from last year and post them at the meeting and ask the exempt hunters if they are going to hunt the same spot again. Then they could let the others know in the next meeting not to bother trying for those spots/area to save them time.

Comment

Originally posted by justintyme8303 View Post
          Well technically there is no rule saying you could not put out a camera for scouting its public land and anyone can access to use for outdoor activities. But that being said it is summer time and more people are using the same trails and areas we will be hunting so greater risk of vandals (board kids) or it walking away. And of course investing that kind of time and effort and not end up getting that spot to hunt after someone beats you to it the day of orientation then your back to square 1. So at this time its just better to scout looking for good sign to find an area you want to TRY to get to hunt. Find a couple of spots so you have a plan A, B, and C

You will find tons of spots that look really good to hunt and then you start to look closer and start to realize someone hunted that same spot already ( cut limbs for shooting lanes, piles of brush) that is a good indicator you might not get that spot since you dont know if they are coming back so its a 50/50 then you dont know if anyone else new has also scout that same spot and wants to try for it. I really wish they would plot all the spots from last year and post them at the meeting and ask the exempt hunters if they are going to hunt the same spot again. Then they could let the others know in the next meeting not to bother trying for those spots/area to save them time.
          Where are the most popular spots so I can do my best to avoid this?

Comment

Where are the most popular spots so I can do my best to avoid this?
            Not sure about most popular spots but as I stated b4 the draw I just knew that its all full northeast of the bridge on DBWoods since we all shot does and are all returning back and hunting same spots again. So I guess that is one area to avoid.

Comment

Not sure about most popular spots but as I stated b4 the draw I just knew that its all full northeast of the bridge on DBWoods since we all shot does and are all returning back and hunting same spots again. So I guess that is one area to avoid.
              I plan on staying closer to Liberty hill than that.

Comment

Jkj1986 I will be going out there this saturday if you want to meet in tejas parking lot. I have been hunting out there for at 10 years off and on so I can show you some spots if you want. Just let me know. You can either post here or pm me.

Comment

Originally posted by doeboy11 View Post
                  Jkj1986 I will be going out there this saturday if you want to meet in tejas parking lot. I have been hunting out there for at 10 years off and on so I can show you some spots if you want. Just let me know. You can either post here or pm me.
                  Thanks for the invite I'll let you know Friday if I can make it out on sat. I was thinking about trying to setup in sawyer any idea how crowded it is over there?

Comment

You can get to sawyer by boat or a long walk/bike ride. I dhave not heard of any one setting up over there.

Comment

Thanks for the invite I'll let you know Friday if I can make it out on sat. I was thinking about trying to setup in sawyer any idea how crowded it is over there?
                      It was crowded last few years and that large field / funnel is used for dove hunting alot from the amount of shells I found last time I scouted that area. If you use a boat to get there you will need to park inside the gate night b4 and leave truck and trailer since gates will be locked when you get there to hunt/launch in AM.

It was 2 yr ago when I was looking to hunt there and lake was down pretty good so it was going to be a 50-80 yrd walk in the mud just to get to the shore line so I was going to stop short and dock closer to Russell and walk the last 1 mile. If I remember its 2 miles from Russell park trail head and that trail is no joke very rocky and uneven.

We were going to hunt weekends and just camp at Sawer camp site just off the trail. There are picnic table there too. its free you just have to tell the gate attendant your going to be camping there.

*** Never mind the info I posted is Walnut springs across the lake north side******
                      Last edited by justintyme8303; 07-31-2015, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Here is a link to the trail it shows mileage markers too

Goodwater Trail Loop around Lake Georgetown - 25.53 miles on this estimated track. This route travels in the reverse direction of the mile marker system. Day 1 - Cedar Breaks to Jim Hogg to Russell Park Night 1 - Camp at Russell Park 5.53+3.52=9.05 miles Day 2 - Russell Park to Walnut Spring to Tejas Camp to Sawyer Park, Tejas Camp is only water on this section Night 2 - Camp at Sawyer Park 1.51+4.28+4.31=10.02 miles Day 3 - Sawyer Park to Cedar Hollow to Cedar Breaks 1.83+4.63=6.46 miles

Comment

Two ways to get to Spring Hogg Hollow boat or walk from the trailhead that is at the end of W Lake Parkway.

When I hunted Russell park area I was set up right across from Spring Hogg Hollow and there was a group hunting there by boat from russell. I saw LOTS of deer over there from my tree stand Big bucks chasing does even watch 2 bucks swim from my side to that side one morning. So that area is deff a good area. Could camp a Cedar Hollows.

Sawer is further up river so would be same way to get there or walk from Tejas.
                          Last edited by justintyme8303; 07-31-2015, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Two ways to get to Spring Hogg Hollow boat or walk from the trailhead that is at the end of W Lake Parkway.

When I hunted Russell park area I was set up right across from Spring Hogg Hollow and there was a group hunting there by boat from russell. I saw LOTS of deer over there from my tree stand Big bucks chasing does even watch 2 bucks swim from my side to that side one morning. So that area is deff a good area. Could camp a Cedar Hollows.

Sawer is further up river so would be same way to get there or walk from Tejas.
                            Thanks for all the advise I appreciate it.

Comment

Wow our thread went dark.

We are only 15 days from orientation and 56 days from opening day.

What's everyone up too?

Comment

Going to test tomorrow then go get parts for my feeder.

Comment

Working...
                                X