Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Official Lake Georgetown Public Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3) Camping is in the designated areas shown on the lakes website. From what ive heard its pretty easy to get spots in the fall/winter

Comment

Originally posted by DentonAg01 View Post
      Like the gentleman above, this is my first time to be drawn for this hunt. Pretty excited as I live off of DB Wood road. This is also my first time to do any public hunting so I have a few questions for the guys that have done this before.
      1. Picking a location for a stand? Since I live off DB Wood it would be great to at least be on that side of the lake. I know there are some that have been selected in the past and would prefer to keep the same spots they used in the past. Is there some sort of unofficial meeting when everyone gets together and picks sections or is it just a mad dash for your favorite spot, first come serve. I'm sure there is plenty of room for everyone just did not know if everyone wanted the same spot.
      2. Recommendations for stands and feeders? Ground Blinds/Tree stands? Obviously you don't want anything to large as you have to carry to and from your spot. Just curious as what has or has not worked well for others.

Looking forward to it.
      After orientation you go and set your stuff up, then send the coordinates in to an email they give you. They go through the coords and approve or deny your spot

You must be 100 yards from any hiking trail, 300 yards from any property line that boarders private property with a dwelling, and 100 yards away from another hunters stop.

Also if you look at the compartment map they usually close compartments 1-4 (the parks).

Wide range of stands and feeders used, depending on how accessible your spot is and if you have a good tree for a stand or a blind is better.

Last year I made a natural blind and strapped some 4 in. PVC to a tree for a feeder and I had plenty of deer through.

Comment

Like the gentleman above, this is my first time to be drawn for this hunt. Pretty excited as I live off of DB Wood road. This is also my first time to do any public hunting so I have a few questions for the guys that have done this before.
        1. Picking a location for a stand? Since I live off DB Wood it would be great to at least be on that side of the lake. I know there are some that have been selected in the past and would prefer to keep the same spots they used in the past. Is there some sort of unofficial meeting when everyone gets together and picks sections or is it just a mad dash for your favorite spot, first come serve. I'm sure there is plenty of room for everyone just did not know if everyone wanted the same spot.
        2. Recommendations for stands and feeders? Ground Blinds/Tree stands? Obviously you don't want anything to large as you have to carry to and from your spot. Just curious as what has or has not worked well for others.

Looking forward to it.

Yes is first come first serve mad dash. The exempt group goes first so odds are higher for them to get the same spot from last year.

What part of DB do you live on? I can tell you Northeast of the bridge is packed and from what I have been told we are all hunting again so chances of getting a spot is slim to none on that side. The fence line boundary rule and 100yrd from each other rule has us packed over there.

Comment

I live down towards Hwy 29 some what. Good to know about that section, I don't want to spend a bunch time looking at spots I will not get. Any thing around that part of the lake works for me though Section 15 I believe it is.

Comment

Anyone following the CWD situation?

I'm waiting to hear some info from the special hearings going on.

Comment

Originally posted by stringstalker84 View Post
              Anyone following the CWD situation?

I'm waiting to hear some info from the special hearings going on.
              Oh wow no .... is it in our area?

Comment

Originally posted by justintyme8303 View Post
                Oh wow no .... is it in our area?
                A 2 yr old captive breeder buck in Medina Co was confirmed, however they are still tracking where all the shipments from that breeder went.

TPWD was holidng special hearings here in Austin today, sounds like they have a handle on it but just something we should all be aware of and watching.

Comment

Is a public hunting land permit required like at Lake granger?

Comment

Originally posted by Jkj1986 View Post
                    Yes it is.

Comment

Looking forward to it.
                      First come first serve mad dash kinda thing. No meetings I'm aware of and its public so no one has "their spot" haha. As for gear just depends how much you want to haul in and out. No ATVs allowed so you're the mule. Some go full feeder with less maintenance so go smaller with adding corn more frequent. Same with stand/popular or natural. They allow up to certain diameter of certain trees but don't want chainsaws and log cabins built haha.

Comment

Originally posted by howabouttheiris View Post
                        1st time hearing about this hunt and got drawn. Pretty excited as my buddy lives 8 min from the park and I am no more than 20.

Read all 56 pages, but I still have a few questions .... I could wait until orientation, but it these will affect the scouting.

1) Do you have to check in / out for every hunt? I ask as I have seen some indication back 30ish pages of possible night hog hunting from your own coordinates, and unsure how this would work... (unless night just means 'from 6am till 30 before dawn' and then '30 after dusk till gates close').

2) Can you enter / exit from places other than the parking lots of the parks? (ie can you park on the side of one of the adjacent county roads and enter from there or thru private property with permission)

3) Are the parks open for camping during the season? Is it still possible to get a spot? I tried to get a Ped. Falls spot last year and realized that hunting weeks are sold out online on the morning that they are posted on the webpage.

4) Do you need to pay park fees with every hunt?
                        No checking in hunt normal hunting times 7 days a week if your schedule allows. They have checkins for harvest only on a spreadsheet depending on time and day for where to go. Gotta take a doe before a legal buck meaning it's checked in and tagged. From my understanding hogs are normal hours if you see them take them no night hunts. You can pay to park but most don't open til it's too late hence the roadway parking but to each is own if you don't like to walk. You have to post your permit in windshield that they give you at orientation or you will get towed/ticketed. No park fees if you don't park there so free in theory. Some guys camp and hunt just personal preference and schedule or you live to far to drive or whatever reason but you can't hunt in parks since they are open with people. I would recommend scouting several preferred spots in hopes of atleast getting one of them.

Comment

No you do not have to have an Annual Hunting Permit, just the one from the rangers and a license.

Comment

Originally posted by Jkj1986 View Post
                            No that one is run by TPWD last I checked and requires the TPWD public land permit that is good for all TPWD public lands in TX.

This one is run by COE they will issue you a permit the day of orientation that is only good for this lake.

Comment

Well I went to Double G this morning and got the qualification out of the way.

Man the season can't get here soon enough...

Comment

Originally posted by stringstalker84 View Post
                                Well I went to Double G this morning and got the qualification out of the way.

Man the season can't get here soon enough...
                                Congrats!

Comment

Working...
                                X