Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Hunting Standby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh and for the record I think you're dead wrong about how much liberty the WMA manager has with regards to how many standby permits he can issue.

Comment

Originally posted by buzzcut View Post
      Oh and for the record I think you're dead wrong.
      Just out of curiosity, which draw hunt or hunts operate like you say they do, if you can remember. I mean, 40+ draw hunts are quite a few and if half like you say, where you were drawn vs half as a stand by, you surely must have hit the lotto at least once too!!

Comment

Some hunts specify, "No standby positions will be available". And some tell you at what time to report to the WMA. It's all in the book.

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
          Just out of curiosity, which draw hunt or hunts operate like you say they do, if you can remember. I mean, 40+ draw hunts are quite a few and if half like you say, where you were drawn vs half as a stand by, you surely must have hit the lotto at least once too!!
          I've hunted all 7 of the WMAs in n.e.Texas A LOT over the last 20-25 years and suffice to say I've seen a lot of improvising go on as far as standby permits,compartment assignment,etc.Some I agreed with,some I didn't. I think it's plain stupid to "hold a spot"(as y'all call it). Let an extra standby hunter in there to have some fun.

Comment

I can say that there is at least one exception to the 'paid hunters spot is held' rule. Last year at the Kerrville Schreiner park, if you were not at the opening meeting your spot was given away...there was only one but the hunt manager said that was his policy in order to get the max number of hunters out there culling the herd.

All TP&W hunts I have been a part of have followed the rule of (qty standby) == (number unpaid hunters). In a half dozen or so hunts I have never seen an extra hunter allowed in. It could happen, but not in my experience.

Comment

I've already mentioned I've been on about 40 of the draw hunts,about half as a standby. It's my understanding the personel managing the WMA decide how many hunters should be allowed on the area...not the suits in Austin.Do you not agree with that? When they do the roll call of drawn hunters if only 12 of the 15 expected sound off then the 3 vacant spots should be filled by standby hunters. If TPWD currently has a policy stating otherwise that policy should be changed. Holding a "spot"(which is erroneous by the way) for the drawn hunter who may or may not show up is a totally bullsh*t concept. If the drawn hunter shows up late,find a place on the property for him to hunt. Some of these WMA's are over 50,000 acres and you're telling me you cant find a spot for a hunter who shows up late? Good Lord! And are you seriously worried about a drawn hunter filing a complaint his "spot" was given to a standby hunter? Really? TPWD is badly suffering from a lack of fresh thinking and ideas.
              Reading your analogy, it definitely shows your character, personality and integrity toward anyone who was drawn and paid, especially any youth that was on a drawn hunt. How very sad. Some what it their way and to heck with what is fair, right and ethical.

If you wish to change the way the selected hunters lose their spot initially due to being late for any reason, why don't you propose that to the TPWD Comissioners at the next Commission meeting?

Comment

Please explain how it's unethical to allow a standby hunter to hunt a compartment that was not going to be used? In Sqiggy's example the compartment next to him went un-hunted for the ENTIRE HUNT.What stupid waste on the part of TPWD.

Comment

I think it's plain stupid to "hold a spot"(as y'all call it).
                  Well, I just believe you told on yourself!!!
                  First of all, it's TPWD rule. Not yours. Not mine!!!
                  Second, with that attitude, I doubt you have been on 40+ draw hunts. Oh I believe you SHOWED UP at most of'em, but sounds like you have been turned away many, many times as a stand by. Kinda left a bad taste in yer mouth, huh!!!
                  Third, I probably been to everyone that you have, WMA's that is, and NONE, ZIP, and NADDA are run even close like you have claimed in this thread.
                  Fourth, with that kind of thinking, it would be like you buying a reserved ticket to a ball game, only to get there in the 2nd quarter, and find somebody else sittin in yer seat. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, but wait, you wasn't there for kick off!!! Go get in the truck!!!

Originally posted by Wanderingchef View Post
                  I didn't get drawn for any hunts this year and was wondering if anyone has had any luck hunting standby? How does that work?
                  With all that said, Back to the orginal question!!
                  Just call the area a couple days before the hunt. I have even called some places a week before. Every place that I have called has been very friendly and very helpful. Every place that I have called told me how many spots they had available. Your only problem will be showing up with more stand-by's there than they have spots for. I've been to some where they have one or 2 more stand-by's than spots open, but they would take them all and find a place for everybody. Then there are some that will just draw out of the hat for the number that they need to fill. That's about it.
                  Now if you do go as a stand by, have all your stuff with you and be ready to hunt!!

Comment

I suppose it's a question of selfishness.Are you that selfish Sqiggy you would rather a compartment or pasture go un-hunted rather than let a standby hunter hunt it?

Comment

wow. so if i get drawn for a hunt and decide i want to sleep in at least i know my spot wont be given away.. cool. ill be sure to enter next year and sleep in and show up late when i get drawn..thanks for the tip.

Comment

standby

The way I see this, is that if I get drawn and pay the fees, I now have a contract with the TPWD to be able to hunt. The payment states that I have shown intent to perform. If my position is "given/awarded" to a person that has not yet paid, then the TPWD would be in breach of contract. Even if I was late, I would expect the position to be there. Life always seems to get in the way at the most inopportune times. If, I hope this does not happen, I wind up not being able to get there then the position should not be hunted. This might not seem fair, but then sometimes the "right/correct" things are not necessarily "fair" to those that want it their way.
                        My .02.
                        Roy

Comment

note to self.. bring my attorney to hash out legal terms with park ranger when i show up late.

Comment

Originally posted by ram6256 View Post
                            The way I see this, is that if I get drawn and pay the fees, I now have a contract with the TPWD to be able to hunt. The payment states that I have shown intent to perform. If my position is "given/awarded" to a person that has not yet paid, then the TPWD would be in breach of contract. Even if I was late, I would expect the position to be there. Life always seems to get in the way at the most inopportune times. If, I hope this does not happen, I wind up not being able to get there then the position should not be hunted. This might not seem fair, but then sometimes the "right/correct" things are not necessarily "fair" to those that want it their way.
                            My .02.
                            Roy
                            Roy - you hit the nail on the head and that is exactly the way the Drawn hunts are ran; if you are selected for a hunt and you have acknowledged that you will be attending and have paid your hunt permit fee, your spot is held regardless; that is the contract between TPWD and the paid selected hunter. Whether you arrive a couple hours late after orientation has started, a half day late or more, your hunt spot is held and guaranteed for you and not offered to anyone else for any reason.

Your last sentence couldn't have been said any better.

Comment

I would think most hunters would have the courtesy to give a call anyway if not able to make the hunt. But if i paid and show late i would expect to hunt. I think Buzz likes the drama, this isn't the first thread i've watched w/ him as a main participant.

Comment

Read my posts guys.No where did I say a drawn hunter who shows up late should not be allowed to hunt. If the hunt manager sends 15 hunters out onto the property,including the replacement standby hunter,then the absent drawn hunter arrives late (assuming he arrives at all) he would be assigned a spot on the area to hunt. Now you have 16 hunters. I'm saying it's not a big deal. Most of the WMAs are large enough to accomodate an extra hunter. The hunt manager knows how many hunters he can safely send out onto the property. These observations come from years of hunting these places.

Comment

Working...
                                X