"Official" Sam Houston Natl. Forest 10/11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by leatherneck View Post
    Anybody know where you can print a copy of the hunting land map. I'm goin out to scout tomorrow but probably wont get my license till tomorow night or saturday. I've got a copy of an older one but I've heard they change the bounaries occasionally. Hopefully there won't be a downpour this time.
    Stop by the SHNF office on 1375 and you can buy a map. I need to get another one.

Froghunter, we will probably be scouting from the boat until noon at the latest. THen we will get some lunch and then head out and scout some more areas on foot. I have your number and will call you.

lunatic'hunter You can't see my number on the PM? PM me your number and I will call you. If you can't make it, no worries. I'll still post up some info.

For those that are wanting to scout on sat. send me your number and I'll call you with info on where we will meet for lunch.

Comment

Printed one off the website. Thanks. Anybody have any info. regarding the east vs west sides of the park?

Comment

All areas have deer. East or west. There is no magical area that I know of. It has been my experience to see more bucks east, more does west. I could go as far as the typical buck east is an 8 the west I would say a 6. Or put it another way, older deer east younger deer west. This is just what I have observed. The other thing is if you find sign, there is no pattern that says those deer will be there each day. It seems to be every 3-5 days they work over an area. That is a lot of time sitting.

How many of you will spend a few mornings on stand this time of year for your scouting?

Comment

Thanks. Was wondering more if one side versus the other gets more crowded with other hunters.

Comment

West side gets more traffic than East.

Comment

Well spent about the whole day on the southeast side yesterday and didn't see a whole lotta sign. Scared up a group of pigs and saw a bunch of sign from the pigs. Found one spot with potential but will probably be back scouting in a different area in the future.

Comment

We spent all day scouting yesterday. Went by boat in the am and on foot in the after noon. Got to meet more TBH'srs and we scouted a pretty good spot yesterday. Had a great time and learned a brand new spot tp hunt that had some promising potential. We found several fresh tracks, but oddly enough we never did find any scat. So I guess we found where they are traveling, but not any bedding areas.

Comment

I know a couple of you guys yesterday were talking about needing a climber. Found this one in the classifieds. Not a bad deal. Only problem is it is in Austin area. Just an FYI.

Eagle

Comment

Guys, thanks for the great scouting trip and the lunch. I plan to scout again in the next 2 or three weeks. Proably gona be a sunday after church trip if any one is interested.

Comment

Post up when.

Comment

Ditto On That

Thanks again for letting a newbie tag along. I learned quite a bit on that trip.

Also, my wife & girls are heading up to Baton Rouge on Thursday, so I'm seriously thinking about putting up a tent at Cagle and trying to bring home some pork Friday evening - Sunday morning. That muscadine tree is calling my name......

I'm also gonna bring my kayak and run jug lines for catfish in Lake Conroe in between morning/evening hunts and scouting during the day. I plan to take a look at that area across the road from where we were too.

My tent can hold 4 comfortably. And any of you 4 guys are more than welcomed stay the weekend or spend whatever time you have available down there w me.

Call me up soon if you're interested so I can get an idea of what's what.

713-851-7846 - cell

Trent

Originally posted by froghunter View Post
                        Guys, thanks for the great scouting trip and the lunch. I plan to scout again in the next 2 or three weeks. Proably gona be a sunday after church trip if any one is interested.

Comment

Would love to hang out and do some more scouting this weekend, but I am stuck in class Friday night and all day Saturday.

Eagle

Comment

Stop By Anytime

You're welcomed to pop in Saturday night.

Also, I've thought a bit about the business stuff we spoke of. Give me a holler if you're interested.

T

Originally posted by Eagles1181 View Post
                            Would love to hang out and do some more scouting this weekend, but I am stuck in class Friday night and all day Saturday.

Eagle

Comment

First off let me make only one correction, the muscadine is a vine not a tree. Other than that , it was great to meet you and glad we were able to scout out some possible great area's to hunt. I hope to be up there again this weekend, but need to see what the week brings. If I do head up there I will let you know.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagles1181 View Post
                                I know a couple of you guys yesterday were talking about needing a climber. Found this one in the classifieds. Not a bad deal. Only problem is it is in Austin area. Just an FYI.
                                Eagle
                                Fellas, I have a Gorilla climber that I'll let go for $75.00 and I'm in the area. I'll post up some pics later this evening.

Originally posted by huntinfool View Post
                                First off let me make only one correction, the muscadine is a vine not a tree. Other than that , it was great to meet you and glad we were able to scout out some possible great area's to hunt. I hope to be up there again this weekend, but need to see what the week brings. If I do head up there I will let you know.
                                Did it have any grapes on it and were they ripe? It's getting close to that time of year. I wish I didn't have to work weekends or I would have joined up with you guys.

Dave

Comment

Working...
                                X