Public Mule Deer Hunting New Mexico

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Public Mule Deer Hunting New Mexico

Can anyone give me any advice about bow hunting mule deer in New Mexico? This will be a first time trip and we plan on submitting for the January hunt. We are looking at putting in for Units 37, 38, and 32.

I want the same thing.

Comment

I am looking into the same deal.

Comment

if you draw get good BLM maps and make sure you know where you are at all times out there. there are a lot of private lands mixed in that area and those land owners get real upset when you cross over the fences and they wont be marked. I grew up hunting all over that area and know many of thos land owners. There are lots of good hunting areas in those units just watch for the boundaries. good luck out there...

Comment

I believe either 37 or 38 is a wildnerness area, no vehicular traffic..up around capitan. Those wilderness areas hold some monsters, but since its foot or horseback only, prepare to be walking at least a day into the unit prior to setting up.

I'm too old to carry my stuff and maybe a deer on my back these days.

Good luck if yall draw.

Comment

I know this is late for news on applying but 32 and 38 have a lot more private than 37. they will not be as steep but less area to hunt. 37 is mainly national forest but can be tough hunting if you are not in shape. what caused you to choose those units?

Comment

[QUOTE=chiledip;2536501]I know this is late for news on applying but 32 and 38 have a lot more private than 37. they will not be as steep but less area to hunt. 37 is mainly national forest but can be tough hunting if you are not in shape. what caused you to choose those units?[/QUOTE]

good draw odds i magine..........
              i'd take that desert in 27 over that country, but i aint nobody

Comment

never hunted 27 little to far west for me. i hunt 33 and 31. some great deer. shot a 28" muley 2 years ago. unit 34 probably has the best draw odds.

Comment

Originally posted by chiledip View Post
                  never hunted 27 little to far west for me. i hunt 33 and 31. some great deer. shot a 28" muley 2 years ago. unit 34 probably has the best draw odds.
                  27 is getting a little "western" these days with the heat on the AZ border the illegals are moving east..they"ve always been crosing there though, i ive never had a problem, except a group of "mules" with duffle bags did once come water at the windmill i was watching.. a little un nerving

Comment

I would love to get to the western side to hunt elk in the Gila. Just hard to get that much time off being a teacher. Like your sign by the way! Hope New Mexico follows.

Comment

Originally posted by chiledip View Post
                      I would love to get to the western side to hunt elk in the Gila. Just hard to get that much time off being a teacher. Like your sign by the way! Hope New Mexico follows.
                      your not missing nothing by not going to the gila. its over rated..elk and deer are all the same. most of the big ones are coming from what most consider "4th" choice units with little or no pressure..

i like 27, cause i really like those little bitty gray deer that are pure genuis

Comment

biggest deer i have ever seen was 11 miles north of crueces, on a college farm, and not high fenced.. pre-9/11 i could hunt out there, just over the ridge was white sands..and just down the ridge was the river...pure sweetness and easy hunting.
                        the terrorists ruined that

Comment

those little coues deer are hard to hunt i hear. i apply for elk in 34 and 36 but i have to apply with rifle because of the time of year. one of these days i am going to skip the state fair and go with my bow though.

Comment

I had some very memorable mule deer bowhunts west of Roswell when I lived there. I hunted the "high desert" muleys, rather than going all the way up into the timber. Lots of spot and stalk and long afternoons glassing hillsides. It was great. Walked my @$$ off but it was always worth it.

The areas I hunted were BLM lands mixed in with private lands. If you do your homework, you can find some great places to hunt. Just watch out for some of the landowners there. They can be real hard to deal with - esp. if they find out you're from Texas. They get tired of public land hunters leaving gates open, leaving trash and not asking permission to cross private property.

But once you find some good access and habitat, it can be tons of fun and very remote, solitary experiences.

Many times, I was the only person on thousands of acres of public lands.

Don't overlook the open areas either. There are some real nice deer that literally lay right out in the open all day.

John.

Comment

did u get your tag?

Comment

Working...
                              X