Young Farmer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Young Farmer

I've known Cade for a while now and though I am well acquainted with him, I've never spent much time with him at his job.

Cade is in his early twenties and he is doing something most unusual for his age - he is a full time farmer.

The United States Bureau of Labor Statics cites that of the 285 million people living in the United States less than 1% claim farming as an occupation. And of those 1% that are farmers, the median age is 55 - over thirty years older than Cade.

So with a positive attitude, Cade breaks ground a new cotton crop for 2009.

Farming is tough anywhere but farming cotton in the vertical strip of Texas real estate between the 100th meridian and the Caprock Escarpment tests anyone's mettle and resolve due to the fickleness of the wind, hail storms, and rain. So much of this year is reminiscent of what I've read about this part of the country in the 1930's during the Dust Bowl and the depression. Economically tough times coupled with an oppressive drought might make anyone give up. However, the red dirt is part of Cade as he grew up in a farming family just outside of Tell, Texas.

So as this growing season passes, I plan on finding out more about what makes someone so young stake a small financial fortune each year against market volatility and weather. And documenting him every step of the way.

Stay tuned...

Last edited by Keith; 04-27-2009, 04:35 AM. Reason: Removed double posted text.

Very Nice Russell! Not many that age can make it much less have a place to do that anymore!

Comment

Great B&Ws!

Comment

Less than 1% of Americans are now farmers, huh? Wow! I knew it was way less than a generation ago, but I didn't realize it had dropped so low. That's amazing. Really speaks to the productivity of today's American farmer. It wasn't long ago when the majority of Americans farmed.

Great pics.

Comment

Great pic's Russell, awesome tribute to the young man as well!!!!!!!

Comment

This should be really interesting.

I'm pulling for him, and I sure hope he makes it.

Comment

NICE JOB NARRATING... CAN'T WAIT FOR (TRIBUTE TP PAUL HARVEY) "THE REST OF THE STORY."

Comment

I will be very interested to see this story develop Russell. Having a daughter in FFA and being involved with it through her, I can see the interests in a lot of the kids change from studying traditional farm and agriculture to more progressive areas like wind power and hydrology etc.

Comment

Great story and even better pics

Comment

Awesome pictures! Good luck Cade!

Comment

Great pictures!

Comment

Enjoyed reading and looking. Great on both counts.

Comment

Very nice. Looking forward to more, Russell.
                          Hunting Videos & Flickr Pix

Comment

inspiring images

My brother is a full time farmer since high school but he's 46... even so, very few of the guys in his age group farm.

Comment

Thanks a bunch, everyone. I really appreciate your comments.

Comment

Working...
                              X