Canon 6D MKII Quick Uploads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon 6D MKII Quick Uploads

Posted a while back about getting back into the dslr game. Started with a T3i then moved into a T7I. Started getting images I was pleased with when outside, but 90% of my shooting is inside the house in poor lighting situations. The goal of this camera was for capturing pictures of our newborn and most of the time dropping online without post processing. In order to gather light I was using a 50mm 1.8 lens. While the results were okay, I still had to bump the ISO and noise became an issue. Furthermore on the crop sensor the 50mm really didn’t work around the house.

Everything I read said, full frame = better light transmission. Larger Pixels/larger sensor better high ISO clarity. So I ran down a Canon 6D MKII this week. Light transmission has definitely improved, higher ISO yields much less noise. Now I have encountered two new problems.

I understand shooting raw, and making adjustments in Lightroom. And if I were in a situation where we were staging photos to print I’d be all about that life. However, as my son does something worth documenting I’d like to snap a quick picture, connect to my phone and then upload. The goal being to not have an ISO blown out iPhone picture. While I’m getting more light, the quality of images that I’m getting just isn’t good enough to upload without processing(White balance throws painfully white which doesn’t work with a pale baby, blown out white backgrounds as indoor natural lighting is never consistent). So question one, I’ve been researching picture profiles and tried to make some adjustments there but still haven’t significantly improved. Not sure if I’m fighting the weak dynamic range, or there are additional setting I need to address. Tried to use the raw processor and while you can shift the tone still don’t love the images directly front the camera.

The second issue is, now that I have a camera that is processing in low light much better I am realizing the 50mm f1.8 is not nearly as sharp as I’d like. I sold a 24-105 f4 L series to fund the 6D but now I can fully and accurately realize how much I need to throw down on glass to get the full experience.

Still haven’t sold the T7I so I’ve considered getting an L lens for it and call it a day but I threw the 6D online today trying to sell but would love to be talked out of it.... help me out experts.

Are you manually controlling your shutter and aperture?

Would you be willing to post a few of your pics with the metadata and what you don't like about them, maybe we can figure it out after seeing it.

Comment

Share pics.

Comment

Yes manual controlling shutter

640D+ ISO, 50mm F2, 250ish shutter, Auto White Balance White Priority
        Back door is totally over exposed but it’s not that bright as that is through the garage.

Same setup but changed white balance to k5000

Back to auto white balance regular, little under exposed, no dynamic range strain.

K5000 white balance, otherwise similar with everything else.

Comment

What are you trying to accomplish by changing the white balance?

Also, It's not your equipment...the 50 1.8 is plenty sharp. The 6D/50 1.8 camera and lens combo should be a beast for portraits.

Looks like you just missed focus on a few of your examples. Are you using a single focus point?

Comment

Just thought the first picture was not very warm.

I Have it set to the single point, but do have it set to AI focus, wondering it it adjusted as I thought I had it targeted on his eyes.

It may be sharp enough but I was surprised how much sharper the L series 24-105 was on my T7I in comparison.

Comment

I agree, it looks like you missed focus. I would try running your aperture up for a longer DOF and slowing the shutter down to correct for exposure. Also, go through the menu and confirm what your focus settings are set to.

As far as the white balance, that will change by the minute, so I normally just pixel peep my shots unless Im planning on sending them to post prior to using them.

Comment

I see in the last picture it looks like I caught his Pinky instead of his eye but all the others appear one eye is the sharpest piece of the image?

Will try upping the aperture to get both eyes in focus.

Comment

AI focus is for moving subjects. Go to one shot.

Comment

"Just thought the first picture was not very warm."
                    Okay, I'd just use the regular auto WB then.

"I Have it set to the single point, but do have it set to AI focus, wondering it it adjusted as I thought I had it targeted on his eyes."
                    Agree with Casey and oneisnone's suggestions. You have to realize that 1.8 aperture on a full frame sensor is razor thin...especially the closer you get to your subject. If you focus then move the camera a 1/2" then you have the cheeks in focus and not the eyes.

"It may be sharp enough but I was surprised how much sharper the L series 24-105 was on my T7I in comparison."
                    I actually looked this up on a site called dxomark, because usually primes are way sharper than zooms. The 50 1.8 is actually sharper than the 24-105. I think what you are seeing is the DOF difference in a f1.8 on a full frame and an f4 on a crop sensor.

Comment

"I see in the last picture it looks like I caught his Pinky instead of his eye but all the others appear one eye is the sharpest piece of the image"

Looks like you got the cheek on 2&3

Comment

Check and see if your 6D has the focus point feature. It will show you in playback mode where your focus point was (my 5D shows a small red square) and that will help you determine if its staying focused where you intend, or drifting due to subject or shooter.

This is for the 7D, but menu steps should be similar
                        Last edited by oneisnone; 03-12-2020, 01:28 PM.

Comment

I’d do some checking this evening. I do appreciate the insight.

I know I’ve used the focus review on the T7I so I’m sure it’s an option on the 6D.

Comment

So I turned on the show AF and each of them are right on the eyes so it is much more an extremely shallow depth of field issue.

Would y’all be happy with the white balance of the first picture?

Comment

White balance looks ok on the first pic to me.

Remember, that 24-105 had a 4.0 aperture at its fastest. Have you tried shooting the 50mm at 4.0 to compare?

Comment

Working...
                              X