lens recomdation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lens recomdation

We have a Canon eos 80D, I'm looking for a bad ***** high end lens for a gym type environment (high school volleyball), and other stuff.
    What do you give you with the tamron type brands vs Canon brand?
    I'm thinking about a
    EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L USM Autofocus Image Stabilized Telephoto Zoom Lens

I'm open to suggestions?
    All we have now is the kit lenses that came with the camera.
    I think someone had one in the classifieds awhile back.

thanks

Generally it's Canon>Sigma>Tamron but there are changes in that order depending on the lens. Some of them while slightly inferior are still the one to pick because of the cost savings. You really have to do your research.

If you want a bad ***** lens for indoor shooting the 70-200 2.8 image stabilized is where it's at. The lens you listed is too slow but makes a good wildlife lens.
    Last edited by WhiplashTX; 12-21-2019, 07:35 PM. Reason: forgot there was a non IS version

Comment

Originally posted by k-k View Post
      We have a Canon eos 80D, I'm looking for a bad ***** high end lens for a gym type environment (high school volleyball), and other stuff.
      What do you give you with the tamron type brands vs Canon brand?
      I'm thinking about a
      EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L USM Autofocus Image Stabilized Telephoto Zoom Lens

I'm open to suggestions?
      All we have now is the kit lenses that came with the camera.
      I think someone had one in the classifieds awhile back.

thanks
      In a gym you're going to want a faster lens, f/2.8. At my daughters basketball and volleyball games on my 5dmkIII with 70-200 2.8 I'd still have to jump up to iso of 1000-1600 to get a shutter speed of 500 which is really what you need to be able to freeze action.

I think you'd really struggle to get useable photos on the 80d with a f/4.5 min. aperture in a gym.

Comment

Agreed with everyone above, you’ll want a 2.8. I used a tamron 70-200 2.8 IS for about a year and loved it, but got a good deal on a canon mkii so I switched.

What distance are you shooting at? If you’re close enough, or not wanting a super zoomed in photo of one person, you could look at the fixed 85mm 1.2 or the 135mm 2.0

Comment

The Tamron 70-200 f2.8 G2 is an incredible lens in terms of sharpness and AF and IS performance.

You're gonna want that F2.8 for the extra light gathering in a gym, so you're gonna want to get low and close to the action because anything longer than that with a F2.8 aperture will be getting into used car prices...

With the 80D you'll have an equivalent FOV of 300mm, with is pretty dang good but you'll still want to get closer than you think.

Comment

I pulled the trigger on the Tamron
            Thanks for the info

Comment

You wont be disappointed! It's a killer lens

Comment

Working...
              X