HDR Photography

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HDR Photography

This seems to be some neat stuff. Anyone ever done this before? I kinda tried it the other day. I bought the Photomatix program but haven't really seemed to get a good pic like I have seen before. Anyone have any tips for this weekend warrior..

I haven't really tried it but a lot of folks are doing some whacky stuff with it. I'm not yet a huge fan of the over-the-top application, but when done "correctly"...WOW!! People are generating great images.

Comment

I really like HDR, but it is definitely hard to control the tonemapping and keep it from coming out cartoonish. You have to play with all the controls in the tonemapping stage in Photomatix. Turn down the Strength and the Saturation. I usually end up with a tonemapped image that lacks the final contrast that I'm looking for - on purpose. If I try to get good contrast in Photomatix, I usually end up with too much saturation and halos and such. When I get an image that looks realistic, but a little flat, then I send it into Photoshop to do final tweaking. There I work the curves to boost contrast and then sharpen it.

Still not always "there", but it's a cool tool. Here's a few. I like HDR for sunsets, but with all the colors, you really have to keep it under control to keep it from getting cartoonish. Not sure I did it right on these, but I like the final images whether they are exact replicas of real life or not.

Comment

Shane you look like you have it going on. What exposure's do you capture?

Comment

Exposures vary. Ideal is to get three shots....one exposed for the brightest highlights, one for the darkest shadows, and one for the middle tones. To do that, you have to individually meter each zone, remember the settings, set up on the tripod and shoot all 3 manually. Shoot in Av mode or manual, and keep the f/stop the same for each shot. Vary only the shutter speed.

Most often, though, I'll expose for the middle tone and set auto exposure bracketing for +/- 2EVs and then use continuous shooting mode to fire three quick shots.

Comment

I tried a shot the other day using bracketing. 2+/- and it reall didn't capture enough. But of course it was a clear sky.

Comment

Shane is getting good...no doubt!!!

Comment

Shane,
                Do you use the plug in for Photomatix, or the stand alone?

Looks like I might try this out to keep me busy

Comment

Originally posted by gjennings View Post
                  I tried a shot the other day using bracketing. 2+/- and it reall didn't capture enough. But of course it was a clear sky.
                  If you were shooting a well-lit scene in bright sun, then you probably didn't have a high dynamic range (HDR) of light. HDR really doesn't do much for a scene that a camera can handle well with one shot already. But when you have a scene that has some really dark and some really bright areas in it, that is a situation where HDR can be useful.

Originally posted by Hillybgigem View Post
                  Shane,
                  Do you use the plug in for Photomatix, or the stand alone?
                  Stand alone. Take a look at another program called Dynamic Photo HDR. It's probably easier to use than Photomatix, and it's cheaper too. Wildman (Danny) uses that one.

Comment

HillyB, whenever your not "pimpen all over the world" if you want to, you're welcome to come with me to shoot this coming weekend in Refugio. I have to do some video work, and in the downtime you could shoot some photo's if you want.

Comment

Originally posted by Videographer View Post
                      HillyB, whenever your not "pimpen all over the world" if you want to, you're welcome to come with me to shoot this coming weekend in Refugio. I have to do some video work, and in the downtime you could shoot some photo's if you want.
                      Whoo. I have to check my schedule and make sure that I can take time out from pimpin all over the world. And to double check that the metropolis of Port Lavaca isn't going to be to happening on a Saturday. HA!

That sounds good, I shouldn't have to work, hopefully the sunshine will hold up. PM or e-mail me and let me know a plan.

Comment

HDR! That ain't real photography

Comment

Originally posted by Wildman View Post
                          HDR! That ain't real photography

Comment

But it sure looks cool. You get the full spectrum.

Comment

Originally posted by gjennings View Post
                              But it sure looks cool. You get the full spectrum.
                              Wildman is just kidding. He's a not-so-closet HDR rebel himself.

Comment

Working...
                              X