Photographers, please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Photographers, please help

So let me start off by saying I'm new to all this, but I absolutely love it. I've recently got a Nikon 3200 dslr and several lenses. I can't get enough, I stay awake at night reading and watching videos, I carry my camera with me everyday, to say I'm ate up with it would be an understatement. So these are a few shots I took this past weekend at my lease. Please be honest and tell me what you think. Any advise is really appreciated. It's because of a lot of you on TBH, that really got me interested in photography to start with, and I do value the knowledge a lot of you guys possess. No need to worry about feelings or getting butt hurt, I'm a big boy. I've been trying to really work on composition and proper exposure. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TXPredatorMafia; 10-25-2016, 11:48 AM. Reason: rearranged

Few more...

Comment

And last set...

Comment

I like em

Comment

Thank you

Comment

I was the same way. I think you are off to a good start. A couple of things I notice right off the bat is your composition isn't quite there and shooting in hard light with cloudless skies is really hard to do well. I think your ideas for a shot are really good. You just need try different perspectives.

A couple of composition examples:
            1. On the first image all the leading lines are going to the bottom center of the image. When I look at the image my eye follows where the lines converge to see nothing. For that image to work i think the camera would have to be higher and something of interest would need to be at the other end of the bridge.
            2. The windmill image (and I'm guilty of this) I think anyone who enjoys the country and has a camera is required to take a windmill shot. With that being said, I think what could make that shot more interesting would be to get as close to the base of the tower and shoot straight up at the windmill (a cool looking cloudy sky would be nice as well).
            3. Rule of thirds is all over youtube and most can explain it way better than i can.

Also, try shooting an hour before sunset and an hour after sunrise for the best light.

My instagram is @robbybrownphotography if you would like to see some of my work.

Comment

Thank you so much Robby, I appreciate the help. I see what you are saying about the leading lines of the bridge picture not going anywhere. I really wanted that shot of the windmill you speak of, but was a little hesitant of crossing the fence. lol. So I really want to catch that oil derrick at sunset and try to silhouette it. Any advice on camera settings? The sun would be setting directly behind it, but my position could shift. I find that I'm not familiar enough to dial in those settings on the fly and by the time I get dialed in to the exposure I want my sunset window is about gone. Additionally by placing the oil derrick on a third line (either left or right) would that make my picture seem heavy on one side since there is not a lot to balance the image out. Thank you so much for your time.

Comment

Well you sure have the eye, let me tell you that. Great job so far, especially if you’re just starting.

1. Bridge pic: It doesn’t look straight, at least to me. Be sure to use those composing lines on your viewfinder (I’m sure they have an official name but I don’t know it). The truss beams of the bridge should be perfectly horizontal.

2. The old Chevy: You cropped out the very tip of bottom left of the truck. I want to see it.

3. The oil derrick: In that light, it’s never going to be a winning shot. Also, the tiny tips of grass and dirt at the bottom are distracting. I don’t need so much sky at top above the derrick. Pull the camera down just a bit, capture enough out-of-focus grass and dirt, and it’d be better.

4. The international: Easily my favorite of your pics. I would have waited for that bird (dove?) to fly past before snapping. Alternatively you can edit it out.

5. Windmill: Get rid of the power lines by adjusting your angle.

Comment

Originally posted by DownRange View Post
                  Any advice on camera settings?
                  1. Ignore anyone who says you MUST shoot on manual or else you're not a pro. That's nonsense. Take advantage of the technology in your camera.

2. In the same vein, stay off the green Auto icon unless you're handing the camera to a stranger to take your pic at the seawall.

3. Pick a mode, like say Aperture-priority. Pick and aperture value you think will be best. Then shoot 5 more of the exact same shot, changing only the aperture value. Go home and look carefully at the pics, and decide which aperture was best for that photo. Make a mental note so that next time you see a subject like that, you can quickly flip to the best aperture.

4. Do the same thing for Shutter-priority. Learning the best values for A and S will help you stop missing one-time shots like the dragonfly landing on the flower.

Comment

On the settings. There is really a lot that goes into that, but here are my "go to" for certain situations.

Aperture priority:
                    Portraits with natural light I'll put it at the lowest possible. Usually 1.2-2.8 is my favorite.
                    Landscapes are usually f8 -22
                    Shutter priority:
                    Only time I use this is when I want to freeze action or with a telephoto lens to eliminate camera shake. 1/1000 to freeze action.
                    Manual:
                    I usually only use this when I'm shooting with speed lights or strobes.

Comment

So with the sun behind that oil derrick, that's is basically just a landscape picture so f10 or so I'm assuming and a really low ISO?

Comment

Following. Just got a camera and a few lenses and would like to learn.

Comment

Good pics
                          1. Leads my eyes down the road.
                          2. Not real sure how I feel, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
                          3. Very good contrast.
                          4. Forefront focus would have been nice, the shoreline and the trees.
                          5. Good
                          6. A little dark for my taste.
                          7. Good
                          8. lighten up the shadows a little.
                          9. Good
                          10. Good
                          11. Good

Play with different settings to see how they affect your pictures. I primarily use Aperture priority to get my primary subject in focus. Low f-stop for little or no background, high f-stop for a lot in focus. Don't worry so much with the ISO settings as long as you don't go to high.
                          Have fun.

Comment

Following as well...about to start my own thread like this.

Comment

Originally posted by wsteffen View Post
                              Good pics
                              1. Leads my eyes down the road. Is this what it is intended to do?
                              2. Not real sure how I feel, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Long story lol
                              3. Very good contrast.
                              4. Forefront focus would have been nice, the shoreline and the trees. I would achieve this with higher Fstop?
                              5. Good
                              6. A little dark for my taste. I agree
                              7. Good
                              8. lighten up the shadows a little. This should be done post processing?
                              9. Good
                              10. Good
                              11. Good

Play with different settings to see how they affect your pictures. I primarily use Aperture priority to get my primary subject in focus. Low f-stop for little or no background, high f-stop for a lot in focus. Don't worry so much with the ISO settings as long as you don't go to high.
                              Have fun.

Comment

Working...
                              X